Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Noise when in gear

I just bought this boat in february and during the test drive everything seemed to run and sound fine. However, when I was doing a tune up and running the engine on trailer I engaged the transmission for a quick second and there was a roaring/ squealing noise. Is this immediate cause for concern or is this because boat is not in water?? Was getting ready to put in tomorrow. Checked the trans fluid and everything seemed ok. Also rpm gauge is not working any ideas of what to check first?

Did you put it in forward or reverse? It is normal for it to make a "squealing" noise in reverse.

No it was in forward. Loud noise but not like grinding.

The shaft seal was probably dry. It needs to be wet/dripping when in gear or you can burn it out. This is just an assumption; could be something else.

Edited by DIE2SURF

The shaft seal was probably dry. It needs to be wet/dripping when in gear or you can burn it out. This is just an assumption; could be something else.

Thanks I was thinking it was something like that. Or should I say hoping. It sounded like something tight to the shaft. It was in gear for only a split second.

Can you spray the shaft seal down with water or is it only "wet enough" to prevent damage when it is submerged??

Thanks I was thinking it was something like that. Or should I say hoping. It sounded like something tight to the shaft. It was in gear for only a split second.

Ya, unfortunately that's about all it takes to make that oh-so-painfull noise. If it was just for a second, the seal will most likely be ok.

Ya, unfortunately that's about all it takes to make that oh-so-painfull noise. If it was just for a second, the seal will most likely be ok.

My last boat was an out drive so never thought about that before i put it in gear. Is the seal a difficult fix if i blew it out??

Can you spray the shaft seal down with water or is it only "wet enough" to prevent damage when it is submerged??

I'm not 100% sure on that. I'm sure someone will chime in and give some advice.

Maybe hit up the guys at Bakes. http://www.bakesonline.com/

They will know.

yeah I got that! Lesson learned quickly!!!

I know there are people that do it by putting WD-40 on it, but frankly I would never take the risk. If you need to rev the engine just pull out the neutral switch.

I know there are people that do it by putting WD-40 on it, but frankly I would never take the risk. If you need to rev the engine just pull out the neutral switch.

Not going to chance it. I just had a TON of problems with the trans of my old boat and was checking things out before i got on the water. Stupid on my part but lesson learned.

Not going to chance it. I just had a TON of problems with the trans of my old boat and was checking things out before i got on the water. Stupid on my part but lesson learned.

I wouldn't sweat it. Just check the seal after it has been in the water for a while. There is a specific rate, which I can't remember because I don't have to (water cooled shaft seal) but it is one drip in so many seconds. If it is coming in faster then you tighten the nut a bit, and if that doesn't do it then you replace the packing/seal.

I wouldn't sweat it. Just check the seal after it has been in the water for a while. There is a specific rate, which I can't remember because I don't have to (water cooled shaft seal) but it is one drip in so many seconds. If it is coming in faster then you tighten the nut a bit, and if that doesn't do it then you replace the packing/seal.

...about 1 drip / 10 seconds I believe.

Thats a different part. The noise is coming from the bearings in the strut. But the packing should also be considered as it is water cooled as well.

Most likely what you heard was a dry strut bearing. The black one the supports the prop shaft near the prop. Those bad boys are lubed by the water when they are in it. When out of water they like to make that nasty noise. I betcha that is what you heard.

Thanks guys really appreciate the responses. I think it was the bearings in the strut. The noise was present when I would turn the shaft by hand but obviously not nearly as loud. When sprayed with water it was all quiet. That being said what is the proper way to check the packing seal? Am I just looking at it while in the water is the drip easy to see?

You should be able to see the the stuffing box right were the shaft exits the bildge. You may have to stand on your head to see it under the v-drive and trans. I like to use a lil flashlight also.