Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transfer Warranty or Not??

pablo

Just bought an 08 247 with one year remaing on the warranty. Warranty runs out on boat and engine in may 2011. Dealer says it will cost 800 for the transfer on the engine and 400 to transfer warranty on the boat. This price includes dealer fees. Boat only has 30 hours. It has the 8.1 liter engine.

Seems a little expensive to me considering the time left on warranty.

Just bought an 08 247 with one year remaing on the warranty. Warranty runs out on boat and engine in may 2011. Dealer says it will cost 800 for the transfer on the engine and 400 to transfer warranty on the boat. This price includes dealer fees. Boat only has 30 hours. It has the 8.1 liter engine.

That's seems pretty steep. Might as well buy an extended warranty for a little more.

I did not transfer the warranty on my 2008 that I purchased last September because of the cost. Too look at it a little different, would you pay $800 for a one year extended warranty? I was a little put off by what Malibu and Indmar charged as well as having to pay the dealer to inspect the boat. Finally, I was concerned about actually filing and getting a claim honored as I purchased the boat from an individual and did not have any equity built up with the local dealer in the event I needed a little help.....

that does seem expensive. didn't the hull warranty used to be 5 years, has that changed?

if the engine had more hours on it and there was a record of it not having any problems then i probably wouldn't worry about the warranty, but seeing as it only has 30 hours on it and it seems like problems usually occur when they are newer...i might be ponying up for the engine warranty.

it will be interesting to see what advice you get here.

That's seems pretty steep. Might as well buy an extended warranty for a little more.

That's a good point. How much is it for the extended warranty and how long does it cover the boat for?

That's a good point. How much is it for the extended warranty and how long does it cover the boat for?

I thought I remember something about an extended warranty for 7 years(?) for under $2500. Could be mistaken though. Ask your dealer.

I Say if you have any problems to walk into the dealer and claim to be the owner, or maybe you are now a "Partial" owner and purchased a portion of the boat.......

First on the extended warranty find out who actually is the owner of it these things are perhaps the most lucrative money makers for dealerships and yet are at time worse than gov’t accounting getting a claim processed. Many times they’ll blame it on a pre-existing issue and deny the claim. Just make sure you check the fine print as the $800 buckos we know what that covers and Indmar and Malibu stand behind their products, this “other” company could care less as their reputation isn’t a concern to them.

Here is some warranty transfer documentation in case you are interested.

According to the warranty transfer document posted by MizzouMike, those are substantial dealer fees. According to the transfer document $300 goes to malibu boats and $200 goes to indmar which leave $700. going to the dealer, but then, maybe it takes 7+ hours to complete the inspection and do the paperwork?

According to the warranty transfer document posted by MizzouMike, those are substantial dealer fees. According to the transfer document $300 goes to malibu boats and $200 goes to indmar which leave $700. going to the dealer, but then, maybe it takes 7+ hours to complete the inspection and do the paperwork?

Thats what i was thinking. Dealer said it would just take a couple of hours to go through everything.

I thought I remember something about an extended warranty for 7 years(?) for under $2500. Could be mistaken though. Ask your dealer.

Wow would that be just for the boat or engine as well? I would much rather fork out the money for 7 years than almost half as much dough for just one year.

Just went through this and I am glad I extended the warranty. It only took my dealer an 1.5 hours to do the inspection and lake test it.

Mine is a promo boat so I did not have to pay the $500 only the hourly rate for the dealer to do the inspection.

Just went through this and I am glad I extended the warranty. It only took my dealer an 1.5 hours to do the inspection and lake test it.

Mine is a promo boat so I did not have to pay the $500 only the hourly rate for the dealer to do the inspection.

How much did it cost and how far out is the extension?

How much did it cost and how far out is the extension?

Hey Pablo,

Sorry I should have been more clear. I just paid to have the warranty transferred to me. I think I have another year and a half left on the standard warranties.

I have already had an under water LED go bad, the hot water shower will only put out hot water, the Perfect Pass display locks up sometimes during start up and the buzzer keeps screaching, the mux switches are flaky. That is all I can think of now. I will have the dealer fix these minor issues under warranty, so I am quite glad I did extend the warranty. My boat has 100 hrs on it.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Hey Pablo,

Sorry I should have been more clear. I just paid to have the warranty transferred to me. I think I have another year and a half left on the standard warranties.

I have already had an under water LED go bad, the hot water shower will only put out hot water, the Perfect Pass display locks up sometimes during start up and the buzzer keeps screaching, the mux switches are flaky. That is all I can think of now. I will have the dealer fix these minor issues under warranty, so I am quite glad I did extend the warranty. My boat has 100 hrs on it.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Thanks Sullivan,

actually it makes my decision a little more difficult. I was pretty sure that I would jus forge about the warranty, but now I'm wondering if it might be worth doing just the boat.

Thanks Sullivan,

actually it makes my decision a little more difficult. I was pretty sure that I would jus forge about the warranty, but now I'm wondering if it might be worth doing just the boat.

i would ask the dealer why he is charging you $700. for his part of the transfer process.

I just got off the phone with malibu. They said that the boat has a bumper to bumper warranty for 3 years from the date of purchase from the original owner. They also told me that this warranty follows the boat regardless and does NOT need to be transfered. The transfer is for the limited lifetime warranty which covers the hull, deck, stringers, seat bases. Pretty much anything fiberglass. This can be transfered for the 300 plus whatever the dealer charges.

I just got off the phone with malibu. They said that the boat has a bumper to bumper warranty for 3 years from the date of purchase from the original owner. They also told me that this warranty follows the boat regardless and does NOT need to be transfered. The transfer is for the limited lifetime warranty which covers the hull, deck, stringers, seat bases. Pretty much anything fiberglass. This can be transfered for the 300 plus whatever the dealer charges.

That is good to know. Do you know how the engine is handled? Do you think bumper to bumper includes the engine? My recollection is the standard engine warranty is five years. I wonder if you need to do anything to get the engine warranty transferred... :dontknow:

I bought a 2006 promo boat and the standard 3 year warranty was transferred at no charge. When I picked it up it hsd 19 months of warranty left and actually I had to submit a claim for the starter and everything was taken care of.

I went through the $300 for Malibu, $200 to Indmar for a total price of $800 including the shop time. Well worth it, had some known issues when I bought the boat and the $800 for the warranty transfer has covered $3000 + in repairs. Lots of simple things that add up in a hurry. They worked hard at getting some gel coat issues covered and have treated me like gold since day 1 even though this is the first malibu I have owned and I bought it privately.

Look at it like buying insurance, you have a boat you may or may not know the history on... the cost of parts and labour can be burned up pretty quick... you buy it and you use it and you're the smartest guy in the room.... you don't need it and you can at least you know you protected yourself and your investment for a year.

I though I read on a previous post they are no longer treating promo boats the same... the clock starts on the warranty the day the boat goes into service not the day the first private buyer takes possession and no free warranty transfers any more... not sure if this applies to you.