Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tips on setting up 23' LSV for surfing

63Taylor

2nd topic from my first day out yesterday. first time trying to surf, I surf goofy and filled the back right tank and half filled the center, and 1/4 filled the front, played with the wedge as well. I was able to get up and surf a bit but could not get the push to go ropeless. I am not an expert surfer and have only tried a few times but I usually can at least get the push to surf with slack on the line for a minute or two, and couldnt do it yesterday. I bought a 540 sack I am trying today in the rear locker. Any other tips. Also I picked up a liquid force 5.0 venture. I only put 1 fin on in the center, couldnt figure out how to install the other fins without damaging the board. If I added the fins would that help. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all the help on this board while I was in teh buying process, this board has really helped me and I love my boat

more weight!.. i fill up my right rear, center, and front. then put a 750 sack in the right rear locker, 500 on the seat behind the driver (unless we have a big crew), and other 500 in the front. run about 11 mph with wedge just a couple clicks up from full down.

check out some of rhino's posts on here... they absolutely slam their 247 with weight (i think something like 4000+ lbs) and get the biggest wave I have ever seen.

the more weight the better.

Fill up the front, center, right, and add that 540 sack in the locker....wedge may or may not help, we never use it. This past weekend, we rode stock with a 400lb sack in my VLX with no problem. The wave should be big enough to surf, so it might be a little technic tweaking. Move your feet, on the board, closer to the wave to help move weight against the wave, then add some pressure/weight/gas on your front foot. Foot placement can be hard to figure out at the beginning and changes all the time depending on board, wave, rider's weight, etc. For instance, I went from riding an IS 4skim to an IS Swallow and, wow, big difference in the riding style and "feel". Found myself more back foot heavy compared to the 4skim, which rode more neutral.

Good luck and have fun!

Fill up the front, center, right, and add that 540 sack in the locker....wedge may or may not help, we never use it. This past weekend, we rode stock with a 400lb sack in my VLX with no problem. The wave should be big enough to surf, so it might be a little technic tweaking. Move your feet, on the board, closer to the wave to help move weight against the wave, then add some pressure/weight/gas on your front foot. Foot placement can be hard to figure out at the beginning and changes all the time depending on board, wave, rider's weight, etc. For instance, I went from riding an IS 4skim to an IS Swallow and, wow, big difference in the riding style and "feel". Found myself more back foot heavy compared to the 4skim, which rode more neutral.

Good luck and have fun!

Weighting your VLX is not the same as an LSV, different animal.

Weighting your VLX is not the same as an LSV, different animal.

10-4, I was just giving him advice with what he has to work with since I've ridden on some tiny, crappy wakes....I'd love to ride behind a loaded LSV!

10-4, I was just giving him advice with what he has to work with since I've ridden on some tiny, crappy wakes....I'd love to ride behind a loaded LSV!

I've ridden on some pretty sweet VLX surf waves. Well LSV waves too for that matter. Anyways which hull, length of boat, and beam all play into how the weight needs to be distributed and how much weight is needed. All of these are different on VLX vs. the LSV.

I've ridden on some pretty sweet VLX surf waves. Well LSV waves too for that matter. Anyways which hull, length of boat, and beam all play into how the weight needs to be distributed and how much weight is needed. All of these are different on VLX vs. the LSV.

Oh what would you know Mr. Tubesac.... :tease2:Whistling.gif

Oh what would you know Mr. Tubesac.... :tease2:Whistling.gif

I'm hoping to some day have a decent surf wave, until then I'll keep collecting my "I can't believe it's not butter" containers and fill them with water for ballast. It works surprisingly well :thumbup: .

martinarcher

I'm hoping to some day have a decent surf wave, until then I'll keep collecting my "I can't believe it's not butter" containers and fill them with water for ballast. It works surprisingly well :thumbup: .

ROFL.gif

Taylor, I have the exact same boat and as everyone has said lots of weight = perfect wave. I am also goofy and love the wave. Here is what you need to do.

1) Plum in the custom Bakes 1500# (enzo) sac. This requires removing the cooler walls but thats no loss.

2) Add a 500# sac in the front along the surf side.

3) Fill all of the MLS except the nonsurf side.

4) Full wedge

5) 11.8 MPH

If you cannot get the Bakes sac get lead (I use 1000#) 400# under my 750 in the trunk and 200# under the corner seat 400# in the cooler.

Here is my wave

a>

I have an 08 23 LSV.

Like stated above, I run with the surf side center and bow ballasts full. I also have a 750 sac that I will fill in the locker on the surf side. Then I have a 350 that goes on the seat surf side and a 350 in the bow on the surf side. With this I can surf ropeless with only a driver and spotter int he boat. I am 220 lbs so if I was lighter it would be even easier. You need to buy some bags. It is well worth it. Good luck.