Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to the Crew - New or used Bu?

TrickyNicky

Hi everyone,

I am 20 yrs. old. My family has a cottage and have been running a 17ft runabout (115 outboard) for many years. It does everything we need (aside from barefooting, surfing), but It's time to upgrade. I am an avid to good waterskier (Course at 30mph and 15 off), I can barefoot short line no problem and long lined twice on the runabout with GREAT effort. I can clear wakes on a wakeboard and spin usually missing the handle. I was a member in a ski club so I've skied, footed, surfed and wakeboarded behind respectable boats (Malibu's, Nautiques etc). My father does NONE of these things. He can open-water ski but generally doesn't. Our typical cottage weekend consists of 20 people and the boat gets good use. To my father (the purchaser) a replacement boat is an 18 ft runabout, but being the nice man he is he sees my and other family members interests in something more.

So over the last 3 years I have been convincing him and now the time has come. After LOTS of research (3 yrs!), we've decided a VTX diamond hull is best for our needs. The ONLY must have options are diamond hull, power wedge, bow ballast. So after watching markets, viewing hundreds of ads and making many emails we are down to 2 boats. Both have the required options and these are the only differences in options significant us:

Boat 1)

2009 VTX (brand new)

Maliview

2 Spinner Racks

color combo (as we would order)

Boat 2)

2007 VTX (150 hrs)

Fixed tower racks (not spinners)

Color combo we'd still be happy with

So what it comes down to it the 2009 is 10k more.

I'm curious which you guys would go with. But more importantly is there anything you guys prefer from 07 to 09 models. Black boxes, mux switches, and anything else that may have changed that I don't know. This boat will be around for 15 years at least. If it were me it'd be a no brainer but My father could really care less. The colour is the only difference that matters to him but He still wants the best deal. So we want to know what little things should be considered in comparing an 07 VTX to 09. I am aware that for sporting performance there will be no difference.

Both boats are far enough away that a visit is not an option and shipping is similar.

I'd also like to give a HUGE thanks to everyone on this site as you have been so helpful in getting me to this point. Everything from the type of boat, ballast and stereo etc etc etc has been decided from reading many many discussions on the BuCrew. The information on this site is extremely helpful and a huge asset to Malibu.

So Let me know what you think and I hope to be riding behind one as soon as weather obliges. (Welcome to Canada, Eh!)

Thanks

Nick

To me I would take new over used anyday. The used one might be great but it also might have a host of hidden problems. Also with new is a new warranty. JMHO

Where abouts are you in Canada?

Like you said ultimately it will come down to money, assuming the used boat is solid, and based on the time you've put into this I can't imagine you'd buy a used boat without going over it with a fine tooth comb so I'll assume the used boat is in tip top shape. I wouldn't worry too much about the stereo as long as you've tested it out and like it. Bottom line is if money were not an issue everyone would buy new. But it is and that is going to be your deal breaker I think.

You might want to hold onto that runabout because it will probably ski better than the vlx - obviously it wont touch the vlx for the wakeboard and surf wake though.

Located in Ottawa, Ontario.

The boats are both being sold by dealers and after doing research, reputable malibu dealers. We have NOT seen either boat and will not until its delivered. My father is never concerned with seeing a boat or even any car before buying. If it's from a dealer it usually comes with warranty (both do). The boat is a VTX so I'm not as concerned with the ski wake as I would be with a VLX. Plus the cottage has no slalom course (yet?) so it'll be all open water.

Also I know money is not a concern. Just whether its worth the 10k extra for what is essentially malivue, a color combo and all the slight upgrades that come for an 07 to an 09.

Located in Ottawa, Ontario.

The boats are both being sold by dealers and after doing research, reputable malibu dealers. We have NOT seen either boat and will not until its delivered. My father is never concerned with seeing a boat or even any car before buying. If it's from a dealer it usually comes with warranty (both do). The boat is a VTX so I'm not as concerned with the ski wake as I would be with a VLX. Plus the cottage has no slalom course (yet?) so it'll be all open water.

Also I know money is not a concern. Just whether its worth the 10k extra for what is essentially malivue, a color combo and all the slight upgrades that come for an 07 to an 09.

I don't know that much has changed with the VTX except for Malivue. Since it's sight unseen, I would suggest the new '09 as well. Full warranty, Malivue, 2 years newer, = well worth an extra 10k.

If the used has all the options that you’re after or installed after the fact is less than the new boat..go used. 10k can be well spent elsewhere and I prefer the rocker switches on the ’07 to the newer MUX style. Provided this used boat has been inspected and is what I wanted I’d go used. With such a short season I’d get the boat that’s ready now and forgo the break in period and then having to do the 20hr service.

I'd go with the 07, $10k does ALOT of repair work (unlikey any will be needed), plus you get some more simple things like rocker switches. Motor choice also becomes a question, frankly I wouldn't complain about a 320 in the VTX, plus its an easier motor to maintain (no CATs.

FWIW I think you'd be fairly happy with a wake hull too.

-Chris

martinarcher

I'd go with the 07, $10k does ALOT of repair work (unlikey any will be needed), plus you get some more simple things like rocker switches. Motor choice also becomes a question, frankly I wouldn't complain about a 320 in the VTX, plus its an easier motor to maintain (no CATs.

-Chris

Plus1.gif

Hi everyone,

I am 20 yrs. old. My family has a cottage and have been running a 17ft runabout (115 outboard) for many years. It does everything we need (aside from barefooting, surfing), but It's time to upgrade. I am an avid to good waterskier (Course at 30mph and 15 off), I can barefoot short line no problem and long lined twice on the runabout with GREAT effort. I can clear wakes on a wakeboard and spin usually missing the handle. I was a member in a ski club so I've skied, footed, surfed and wakeboarded behind respectable boats (Malibu's, Nautiques etc). My father does NONE of these things. He can open-water ski but generally doesn't. Our typical cottage weekend consists of 20 people and the boat gets good use. To my father (the purchaser) a replacement boat is an 18 ft runabout, but being the nice man he is he sees my and other family members interests in something more.

So over the last 3 years I have been convincing him and now the time has come. After LOTS of research (3 yrs!), we've decided a VTX diamond hull is best for our needs. The ONLY must have options are diamond hull, power wedge, bow ballast. So after watching markets, viewing hundreds of ads and making many emails we are down to 2 boats. Both have the required options and these are the only differences in options significant us:

Boat 1)

2009 VTX (brand new)

Maliview

2 Spinner Racks

color combo (as we would order)

Boat 2)

2007 VTX (150 hrs)

Fixed tower racks (not spinners)

Color combo we'd still be happy with

So what it comes down to it the 2009 is 10k more.

I'm curious which you guys would go with. But more importantly is there anything you guys prefer from 07 to 09 models. Black boxes, mux switches, and anything else that may have changed that I don't know. This boat will be around for 15 years at least. If it were me it'd be a no brainer but My father could really care less. The colour is the only difference that matters to him but He still wants the best deal. So we want to know what little things should be considered in comparing an 07 VTX to 09. I am aware that for sporting performance there will be no difference.

Both boats are far enough away that a visit is not an option and shipping is similar.

I'd also like to give a HUGE thanks to everyone on this site as you have been so helpful in getting me to this point. Everything from the type of boat, ballast and stereo etc etc etc has been decided from reading many many discussions on the BuCrew. The information on this site is extremely helpful and a huge asset to Malibu.

So Let me know what you think and I hope to be riding behind one as soon as weather obliges. (Welcome to Canada, Eh!)

Thanks

Nick

I have bought four malibu's. all of which have been brand new boats. at this point i would not purchase a brand new boat again. as the boats newness wares off quickly regardless of how hard you try to keep it cleaned and polished. in addition there are so many good deals to be had right now. also your warranty on an 08 or later is good for three years. FWIW

I guess I'm just cheap. I would go used. I could use 10k in too many other places and still be very happy with the used boat. That's why I have a 99 Sunsetter and am very happy with it.

-Chris

thats right no cats, another reason to go with the new boat, way less CO emissions.

thats right no cats, another reason to go with the new boat, way less CO emissions.

The 07 VTX may still have the 340 Monsoon with the CATS. The only thing I like better about the new boats is the "auto wedge" function. I am not really sold on the Malivue yet. If it seems to hold up well after a couple of years I may change my mind. I agree with Malibudude about the toggle switches as well. Easy to replace and just add one or two more to a separate panel if you need.

Either way you are getting a beautiful boat. Enjoy the summer and post up some pics when you finally get one!

Trent

Well, for 10K I'd get the new boat, so :plus1::plus1: on that. But for 20K, which is how much the 07 should be less, I'd maybe get it, but not at a 10k differential. Plus, you get spinner racks! Not that you couldn't buy them, but then you are dropping close to 1k on those, so now it is only 9k difference...

It is interesting that you mention barefooting and course skiing in your description ahead of wakeboarding but you are leaning towards a boat that is geared to wakeboarding. The Response LX or LXi is geared more towards the ski and footing events.

It is interesting that you mention barefooting and course skiing in your description ahead of wakeboarding but you are leaning towards a boat that is geared to wakeboarding. The Response LX or LXi is geared more towards the ski and footing events.

We decided on the VTX because it has to replace our current family runabout. The boat has to do it all. And the response with the ski pylon in the middle just doesn't allow us to have 10 or so kids in the boat while tubing etc. As for barefooting it will be most-to-all shortline off a boom, and the skiing is all open water at the cottage. For course skiing I'll go to the ski club and use there CC 196. Also I'm well aware and have to agree that the wakeboarding and surfing will slowly gain boat usage time. As currently the lack of wake and inability to surf is keeping us from any progression.

We decided on the VTX because it has to replace our current family runabout. The boat has to do it all. And the response with the ski pylon in the middle just doesn't allow us to have 10 or so kids in the boat while tubing etc. As for barefooting it will be most-to-all shortline off a boom, and the skiing is all open water at the cottage. For course skiing I'll go to the ski club and use there CC 196. Also I'm well aware and have to agree that the wakeboarding and surfing will slowly gain boat usage time. As currently the lack of wake and inability to surf is keeping us from any progression.

Tubing?? You'll fit in well here :thumbup:

Tubing?? You'll fit in well here :thumbup:

I'll get out every once in a while. But a typical cottage weekend consists of 10 kids ranging from age 2-20. So until they find there watersport enthusiasm tubing is still on the list. Plus if the boat is going to be around for 15 years, I'll have to let my kids have a go on the tubes! (Oh what a scary thought at my age)

In that case you might want to consider LS3 (450 hp) or LS7 (505 Hp) for that footin' option. Definitely get at least the Monsoon. A VTX with a LS7 would be wicked.

Use the 09 pricing to negotiate a better deal on the 07. For 10k and the upgrades I would buy new. Maybe you can make your decision easier if the 07 was priced a bit better.

i'm really cheap, but i'd also spend the 10 and get the new one.

if the used one was 15 (or more) different, I'd be leaning that way, but if you're gonna have it for 15 years, get the new one and eliminate all the doubts about what the previous owner may have done to it.

buy it, take care of it, and enjoy it.

if your dad is stepping up with the $$$, the least you can do it maintain it, keep it clean, wipe it down and stay on top of service issues. as a parent it makes a huge difference when the kids help with the whole process!

welcome to the crew and enjoy the new boat!

CR

i'm really cheap, but i'd also spend the 10 and get the new one.

if the used one was 15 (or more) different, I'd be leaning that way, but if you're gonna have it for 15 years, get the new one and eliminate all the doubts about what the previous owner may have done to it.

buy it, take care of it, and enjoy it.

if your dad is stepping up with the $$$, the least you can do it maintain it, keep it clean, wipe it down and stay on top of service issues. as a parent it makes a huge difference when the kids help with the whole process!

welcome to the crew and enjoy the new boat!

CR

It's funny you mention it because I am the anal one the the family when it comes to clean and organized. So no worries there. In our family theres an understanding of who pays for the toys, and the kids and cousins take care of the cleaning, putting away, covering, not to mention spring and fall cottage maintenance. I'll hold up my end of the bargain, at least until I have kids I can slave-labour :lol:

...Oh and Thanks for ALL the welcomes. I'm overly excited to be here. Its a new addiction for me and I have to try real hard to take a break from it and study for my exams :unsure: So far it seems like such a great community and I can see myself here in 40 years giving some 20 yr old advice.

Kudos to the BuCrew!