Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie with a bunch of questions!

FXIGUY

Hello All,

I picked up my brand new 09' FXI on Friday. Had it out on the lake for a few hours. What an awesome experience! Im a long time water junkie, but this is my first boat....so I have a bunch of newb questions.

1. If you're anchored and not running, what is a safe time allotment for running the stereo without running the battery down too far?I have a single battery system.

Also is there any danger in using a portable jump starter on a boat?

2. Is there a good product that removes hard water spots from the chrome trim?

3. I plan to wet slip the boat for this season and remove it once a week for washing etc. It's not my first choice, but it's the only one we've got with my wife's work schedule and my own. I plan to have someone checking on it daily but is there anything I should be especially watchful for? It will be covered at all times.

4 . Should I be more concerned with weeds and floating patches of them with an inboard than I would be with an outboard? I was a bit paranoid that I would plug the intake. Is the intake somewhat difficult to plug up or is it pretty common?

5. When forced to travel through shallows, is it better to shift the heavier folks on board to the front of the boat or will I wind up with less steering control by doing so?

Thanks !

1. no problems with the stereo, we have run our stereo for 3 hours no stop while the boat has been moored off the beach. just make sure the volts on your dash display dont go below 11.6, otherwise it wont start.

2.i use vinegar and water, 50-50 works great for me

3.cant help you with that.

4.yeh u should. try and stay away from weed patches. you do have the chance that your water intake will get clogged and you will get weed wrapped round the prop and rudder which will cause viabrations. to get rid of the weed just give it a bit in reverse.

5.how shallow is shallow? we have a part on the river which is about 2 and a half foot. we try not to stop through their but if at speed no problems, we have been through this bit with full ballast and wedge and have never touched the bottom. and we know its that deep cause we have the depth sounder and we have fallen and stood up their. but yeh if you are worried about shallow water just sit everybody up the front, and just idle through. and if u think it is very shallow pull it in and out of gear so you will minimise the chance of damaging the prop

1. You good up to the point where the engine goes grrrrrr.

2. I’ve used RainX on my truck bumper and had OK results.

3. Don’t leave any valuables on the boat and make sure the bilge pump is in “auto”.

4. Yes.

5. Only if you’re going to scrape bottom.

4. If I was going through an area where the difference between hitting something or not meant putting people in the bow, I would make a passenger get out and hand guide the boat through that area. Preferably the guy who forgot to bring his own beer and/or won't chip for gas $ :biggrin:

Edited by Ndawg12

4. If I was going through an area where the difference between hitting something or not meant putting people in the bow, I would make a passenger get out and hand guide the boat through that area. Preferably the guy who forgot to bring his own beer and/or won't chip for gas $ :biggrin:

I just panic when the shallow alram goes off and Im already going as slow as I can be. Supposedly Im supposed to have 22" draft....dry with nobody in the boat....a little too close for me.