Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impeller issue

Coming across the lake yesterday and we smelled something that smelled like something burning.

Went to neutral and opened the engine hatch.

Looked like there was a little smoke coming from the impeller pump.

Engine temp was 160 and no other issues.

So we coasted back to the dock - about 10 minute drive - at 25-30 mph.

Engine temp stayed steady at 160-165.

I figured the impeller was burning up but since the temp was staying good I continued home and it stayed good all the way.

Smell stoppped a minute or 2 after we closed the hatch.

When I got home I went to change the impeller but it was fine - not a blemish.

Impeller has 80 hours on it - I routinely change it every 100 anyway.

So what else could that be?

The pump itself going out?

Coming across the lake yesterday and we smelled something that smelled like something burning.

Went to neutral and opened the engine hatch.

Looked like there was a little smoke coming from the impeller pump.

Engine temp was 160 and no other issues.

So we coasted back to the dock - about 10 minute drive - at 25-30 mph.

Engine temp stayed steady at 160-165.

I figured the impeller was burning up but since the temp was staying good I continued home and it stayed good all the way.

Smell stoppped a minute or 2 after we closed the hatch.

When I got home I went to change the impeller but it was fine - not a blemish.

Impeller has 80 hours on it - I routinely change it every 100 anyway.

So what else could that be?

The pump itself going out?

Check the Plastic elbows on the top of the Manifolds. Yep, they are plastic! Mine melted right off!

Could some plastic trash got inside the engine compartment somehow and burned up on the manifold? Check all the rubber hoses and wire covers to make sure nothing is pressed up against the engine.

Brad take a look around the eng to see if you can find any thing that looks out of place or that has melted and like Pete said check the belt conditon. One thing that could have happened is a bearing is going bad, making the belt smoke. Keep an eye on things the next time you go out.

hey brad how many hours our on the boat? changing the impeller doesnt always fix the problem. the raw water pump after so many hundreds of hours need replacing. but then again you could have other problems. the plastic elbows have been melting off due to the exhaust dump tips not beeing open enough. the many ways of checking them is running the boat at wide open throttle. if the engine gets hot at wide open thottle the raw water pump could be bad and the exhaust dumps off the back of the manifold probably need to be opened up. you can also pull the dumps off and hook a water hose to the bottom of the dumps to check the water flow. i would first start with the raw water pump if you have alot of hours on the boat. i just had a boat in for service that had this same problem.

start w the easy stuff.

• is the valve at the fresh water thru-hull fitting open?
  • you don't want to suck air, are all of the hose clamps tight between the impeller and the thru-hull?
  • is anything blocking that length of hose between the hull and the impeller housing?
  • not as likely but is the trans cooler free of debris?

Its got about 500 hours and it did not run hot at all.

I just DEwinterized and I checked all the belts and hoses and all is good.

I think its either the pump going out or just something foreign melted on the manifold - I'll inspect it better tonite.

The pump is original equip but I got 1100 hrs on my last boat before I sold it and pump was original then too.