Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where is the bilge pump In-line fuse

ArmyArmstrong

My old bilge pump went bad at the end of the season last year and today I was putting the new pump in. There are 3 wires on my 99 Sunsetter LXI, ground, switched hot, always hot. I metered them and all were working great. Somewhere along the way, I think I rubbed the always hot wire up on the raw pump bracket and poped a fuse because now I have no power on the always hot wire. (I still have power on the switched hot so all is good there.) I have looked all over for an inline fuse that would control the always hot wire. The three wires go from the engine compartment into a hole in the side of the boat and jump into a big hiring harness that is wrapped with a plastic wire guard wrap. The fuse has to be somewhere I can change it, any one know where???

Yes, I do have breakers under the throttle and I checked those and it wasn't popped. Now, I didn't have the key turned to light the system up either, but that shouldn't matter right? Does that breaker control both the switched power and the constant power?

Both the constant hot and the switched hot would have to be on the same fuse or you would get backfeeds if only one fuse blew.

Then if it is popped, I would lose power on both wires, constant and switched right? I still have power on the switched wire, but not the constant wire.

Are you sure the wire is dead and it is not a bad float switch? Were you able to test this wire somehow? If your answer is yes and yes, then you will need to trace that dead wire back to its source.

Did you ever trace this back?

I'm pretty sure I have the same issue. Tried replacing the bilge pump with a new one thinking the float switch had gone bad on the old one. But I can't get the new one to auto-bilge either.....

FWIW, I can get the pump to run via the switch on the dash.

Edited by Intense

That is right where I am. I had to leave town for the week and haven't been able to get back after it, but next week when I get back into town, I will do some more chasing.

• 4 weeks later...

That is right where I am. I had to leave town for the week and haven't been able to get back after it, but next week when I get back into town, I will do some more chasing.

Anything on it?

No, I haven't found anything yet.

I have spent several hours now digging thru and trying to find the constant hot fuse for the bilge float to no avail. I have power from the bilge switch, but no power from the constant hot wire. Now when I first started this whole mess, I did, but I accidentally rubbed the wire on the motor and heard a "pop", now no power on the constant hot wire. The breaker under the throttle for the bilge is fine, I have checked that about 500 times and all is good there, I think that feeds the switched hot.

There are 3 wires coming to the bilge:

1) Black = Ground

2) Brown w/ white stripe = Switched hot (I get power when the switch is on)

3) Brown = Constant hot (I get no power at any time but I did before I accidentally rubbed the wire on the motor)

Today I looked in the computer / fuse box right above the transmission and there appears to be fuses in this area. The 3 right on top (all 15a) all looked good, but there are some plugs or fuses underneath that are almost impossible to get at so I haven't dug that far because I'm not sure if there are fuses in there or not or if I am even in the right place.

If anyone can tell me where the fuse is for the bilge constant hot wire there are a couple of us that would be hugely grateful!!!

Ya, I thought about that, it is just frustrating knowing there is a fuse but not knowing where it is. For that matter it appears no one knows where it is.

It is a short jump from the bilge pump to the starter to get constant power.