Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fire it up, or not? Thats the ques...

51gringo

Just curious whether or not some of you start your boats occasionally during the winter months (not dry obviously), or do you think it's okay to sit for 6 months without firing it up? I think it's probably a good idea, but is it necessary?

Fire away.

martinarcher

Mine is run the day it is winterized and put away. It's then run 5 months later the day I pull it out (last Sat). It always fires right up. If you use fogging oil the engine is well protected and coated in oil. An older boats carb will dry out a bit and require 5-10 seconds of cranking to fill the bowl with fuel, but the fuel injected boats like your wouldn't see that issue.

If your not putting some kind of fuel conditioner (Stabil, SeaFoam, etc.) in the tank, or draining the engine, shower & heater, then starting the boat occasionally will do one thing..... reassuring yourself that it's still able to run. If it doesn't run, then you know that there is a problem & need to take care of before spring, ie; cleaning the fuel system, repairing somthing that broke when it froze, etc. But thats not really being "proactive" about it in any way.

How was the boat winterized?

Mine only sits for a few months. With our usually mild winters I can run it every couple months. This year it has sat from October till yesterday. All I did was put stabil in it. Next week I will change the fluids, changed the impellar yesterday. No problems started right up.

If you are properly winterized, let is sit, the engine will be protected. give yourself a few of hours to dewinterize while cleaning and getting it ready for its first trip to the lake. Dont forget to charge the batteries.

The only thing starting it will do is to make you have to winterize again.

REW

Running it would defeat winterizing it. If you have no chance of a freeze during the winter you wouldn’t have to worry about winterizing it and could run it from time to time. One of the winterizing biggies is to get the water out of the engine and lines so freezing water doesn’t expand and crack anything.

My boats have hibernated for the 7 off season months for the last 47 years with never a problem in the spring. There's repeatablity if that's what your looking for.

Good to know, I just wanted to make sure I'm covering all the bases. Thanks for your input guys. I've been very thorough with the winterizing process, C-Tek charging, draining the block, changing oil, and impeller every season, etc, etc..

Shasta is gonna be bitchin this year! It's 20' from crest as of yet, and I'm itchin to get out there.