Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help!! Tracking Fin Screws Won't Tighten!!

The ice went out of the lake yesterday as I was finish detailing the bottom of the boat and I noticed one of the 3 tracking fins was loose. There was also a little water dripping out when I moved it. The previous owner must of has the same problem as there was the was some clear silicon around the front 2 fins. I removed the front 2 and cleaned up the silicon under the fins and off them as well. I applied new silicon to the fins and put them back in place but several of the screws won't tighten up. It seems like they just screw into the core of the boat. I would have thought they would have been through bolted. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and what did you do to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Hopefully someone that has repaired this will chime in but I think you have to pull the tracking fin off, look for hull structure integrity, then you may have to bolt the tracking fin back on after applying new marine sealant. Bolting the tracking fin in place should restore the proper structural integrity.

Use search on this forum on "tracking fin". I did it for this forum (maintenance, tech etc.) and found that there are some where the fiberglass is tapped and the fin screwed into the fiberglass, and others that are through bolted, and you may have to pull the gas tank to get to the nuts. My guess, based singularly on your model year, is that it is through bolted. The comments are that it is not difficult, just takes a bit of time to do.

I did a search for threads on repairing this problem and found some possible repair solutions to try. Mine are machine screws threaded into the fiberglass. I am going to try and find the next size up screws or threaded inserts to fit the existing screws tomorrow at a local nut & bolt supplier. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks

Gary

we deal with this all the time in our shop. people brake off the fins. so we always reglass and gel the holes. then you gotta drill and tap the holes. sometimes you can get larger bolts but sometimes they wont tap in easy. so good luck!

I went to the local nut and bolt wholesaler today and was hoping to get larger screws but I would of have had to drill larger holes and make the countersink area larger in the stainless fins. Didn't want to mess with them, so I opted to buy inserts that the original screws will screw into. I need to drill a 15/32" hole and screw the insert into that. I got some 3M 4200 adhesive/sealant to coat the fins. Then screw them into place. I plan on doing this tomorrow and I will post my results.

Thanks

Gary

Got the job done but it took alot longer than I expected. I drilled out the holes and installed the inserts but I ran into a little problem. The holes in the fins didn't quite line up with inserts. It is hard to drill the holes straight while laying on your back under the trailer and keep the drill square with boat bottom. Then try get the inserts threaded in square as well. I just had to enlarge the holes in the fins a little to get the screws in the inserts. Once that was achieved, I put a good coating of 3M 4200 adhesive/sealant around the perimeter, around the holes and a zig-zag through the middle and screwed the in place with a screw driver first and then a 3/8" drive ratchet and Allen head socket. They snugged right up, squeezing out the excess sealant around the end. I ran my finder around the fins leaving a good bead all the way around. I'll let in dry for a couple days to get a good cure and I'll finish deatiling the boat. I'll put the boat by the weekend and check it for leaks.

Thanks

Gary