Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder grease

Oops, accidentally posted this in modifications. But anyway, this is my first direct drive and just wondering if the rudder requires any "special" type of grease or will any type be ok?

According to my Dealer, Grease for the rudder should not be done except after 300 hours. He said that greasing it too often causes the grease to dry out and cause the rudder to bind. He also said that any good marine grease is good. Hope this helps

Hey Mike,

How often do you have to add grease to your hubs?

Every 10 yrs.?

Why? Do they not make the blue wheel bearing grease anymore? :unsure:

I bought a box of it a while ago and still have a couple of tubes left. :biggrin:

I check my hubs every year. Usually end up adding a little bit but it's like ½ mile to the launch ramp so the trailer doesn't see a lot of miles other than a few trips to Bullard's every year (but even that is only about 30 miles).

According to my Dealer, Grease for the rudder should not be done except after 300 hours. He said that greasing it too often causes the grease to dry out and cause the rudder to bind. He also said that any good marine grease is good. Hope this helps

not sure i buy into 300 hours without some type of calendar "or" condition (i.e. or 2 years).

some people don't ever put 300 hours on their boats.

it's like ½ mile to the launch ramp so the trailer doesn't see a lot of miles other than a few trips to Bullard's every year (but even that is only about 30 miles).

That was the joke.

Yes, there is a zerk fitting on the rudder mount inside the boat. On my '97 sunsetter, you can remove the rear seat bottom and lift the floor panel behind the engine cover to get clear access to the zerk fitting.

What do you guys think I should do about that green stuff on my rudder?

Use the boat more than once a year?

Well since you use your boat all of one time per year it really should be spotless that one time so...I'm thinking you need to remove the tiller arm, drop the rudder, remove the rudder port (after removing the fuel tank, of course), and then polish all of the pieces by hand. :yes: Then reassemble. :thumbup:

Well since you use your boat all of one time per year it really should be spotless that one time so...I'm thinking you need to remove the tiller arm, drop the rudder, remove the rudder port (after removing the fuel tank, of course), and then polish all of the pieces by hand. :yes: Then reassemble. :thumbup:

as long as you are in there you may as well wash and wax that bilge and clean all of the black soot out of the exhaust tubes, too :whistle:

• 3 years later...

I have been very pleased using the Amsoil synthetic grease, it is also the blue variety. It is water repellant so it is good for the rudder. The marine and trailer bearing greases mentioned above are also good candidates. While you are at it, given the age of the boat, you might also want to check the steering. If you want to disassemble, you can add some grease to that (does not need the marine grease as it is not near water) and check you steering cable for freeness. Tighten the nuts/bolts at the helm, that will tighten up the steering as they tend to loosen a bit over time.

• 1 year later...

Super sorry in advance for asking what will seem like a super beginner question... if that annoys you please carry on :whistle:

I got my first V-Drive this summer, so first time dealing with a rudder.

My steering is super stiff (i need my two hands to steer either when at idle or underway). I am going to change the steering cable, i read many posts about it and that should be fine (if not you will hear from me :innocent: ).

After reading the many posts about stiff steerings, i guess greasing the rudder would be a no-brainer given the age of my boat (2002 sunscape). I keep seeing that you should give it two pumps, not more or less... Could someone explain in detail exactly how you grease the rudder..?? I don't really know what type of grease applicating pump/tool to use... and how to use it... and where to grease it!! pictures would be really appreciated :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...