Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Keeping the 'Bu Lookin' Good

Searching around the archives for what you guys do to keep your 'Bu looking new. Definately need to wax at the begining of the season -- what kind of wax are you using? Is there such thing as a wax with a UV protectant in it? Is it necessary to polish the boat EVERY season? Also, what are you doing for general maintainence -- what are you wiping your boat down with after each use? Babes? Vineager solution? What about preferences for cleaning the vinyl?

Basically looking for care and maintainence preferences...

Edited by stacy

Searching around the archives for what you guys do to keep your 'Bu looking new. Definately need to wax at the begining of the season -- what kind of wax are you using? Is there such thing as a wax with a UV protectant in it? Is it necessary to polish the boat EVERY season? Also, what are you doing for general maintainence -- what are you wiping your boat down with after each use? Babes? Vineager solution? What about preferences for cleaning the vinyl?

Basically looking for care and maintainence preferences...

Stacy the best wax I've used so far in my boat ownership is Collinite Paste Fleet Wax. This year I put a coat of Starbright Polish on then waxed with the Fleet Wax Paste. Best finish I've been able to obtain on my boat. I polish every season but that's because I'm anal as can be.

I've been using Boat Bling Hot Sauce for wipe downs since it came out in 2006 and it's the best stuff I've used. I've used Babe's as well but don't like it as much.

For deep cleaning vinyl surfaces Malco Leather & Plastic cleaner is hard to beat. For general everyday cleaning I use Exquisite vinyl cleaner. I put a coat of 303 on there every once in a while. The exquisite does a good job of conditioning the vinyl but doesn't have UV protection like the 303 does. To really clean the vinyl you have to use a medium bristle brush, stay away from Magic Erasers it will slowly eat away at your vinyl. I had several dull spots on the vinyl on my last boat from using those. Won't use them for cleaning vinyl ever again. They work awesome on the cooler though.

Edit: Good looking dog, I love Goldens.

Edited by 06vlx

We usually use star brite boat bottom cleaner to strip the old wax then star brite marine polish with ptef applied with the buffer. This year I think I am going to apply meguires flagship marine wax by hand afterward - just because I have a bunch of it and it gets pretty rave reviews as a long lasting "wax."

I also use a vinyl cleaner/protectant every so often, just not in direct sunlight. Some of them seem to make the material more supple, other stuff just makes it greasy.

Be careful with the vinegar, unless you plan on waxing after using it as it strips the wax.

Edited by Wakes

Best paste wax as far as durability is definitely Collinite Fleet Wax. I personally like to use the synthetic wax / sealants, which I prefer to use Zaino or Klasse Sealant. Once a year I will do a coat of Meguiars Mirror Glaze #49 Oxidation Remover Heavy Duty Cleaner, a coat of Meguiars #44, then a coat of Klasse AIO, then a few coats of Klasse sealant or Zaino. About twice durning the season I will apply a coat of Collinite fleet wax. I typically use a Porter Cable Polisher to apply the Meguiars.

Definitely something to check out...Eagle One "Wax As You Dry". I use this stuff after every wash, boat or truck and I never have water spots and it does a great job protecting my finish.

As for Vinyl: Exquisite is really good stuff. I saw a product comparison test done on WakeWorld or Wakeboarding Mag and this stuff beat them all...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exquisite-Boat-Vinyl-Upholstery-Cleaner_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a998d0351QQitemZ320403735377QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_1123wt_941

Edited by MexTex

I've used a few different waxes & had great results. But what seems to make the biggest difference is a homemade concoction that a buddy of mine made up somehow. He's using a generic spray bottle & mixing 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 water & 1/3 Turtle wax. Then everytime you pull the boat out, spray it down & wipe it down with this stuff. The boat seems to look great forever & never need to be washed. :rockon:

For the interior, I've heard great things about the Exquisite. Had great experience with Babes' Seat Soap, but can't get either of them locally. And heard good things about Malco's upholstery cleaner, but didn't care for the slick & overly shiney look it gave the vinyl.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Stacy the best wax I've used so far in my boat ownership is Collinite Paste Fleet Wax. This year I put a coat of Starbright Polish on then waxed with the Fleet Wax Paste. Best finish I've been able to obtain on my boat. I polish every season but that's because I'm anal as can be.

I've been using Boat Bling Hot Sauce for wipe downs since it came out in 2006 and it's the best stuff I've used. I've used Babe's as well but don't like it as much.

For deep cleaning vinyl surfaces Malco Leather & Plastic cleaner is hard to beat. For general everyday cleaning I use Exquisite vinyl cleaner. I put a coat of 303 on there every once in a while. The exquisite does a good job of conditioning the vinyl but doesn't have UV protection like the 303 does. To really clean the vinyl you have to use a medium bristle brush, stay away from Magic Erasers it will slowly eat away at your vinyl. I had several dull spots on the vinyl on my last boat from using those. Won't use them for cleaning vinyl ever again. They work awesome on the cooler though.

Why specifically, do you not like Babes? Everyone seems to sings it's praises and I would be interested in knowing why you aren't a fan.

Why specifically, do you not like Babes? Everyone seems to sings it's praises and I would be interested in knowing why you aren't a fan.

Babes is thicker that the Hot Sauce and where the Hot Sauce will wipe away with a couple strokes I have to keep buffing to get the babes to dissapear. Just a lot more work using the babes for wipedown than the Hot Sauce.

• 2 weeks later...

I have color fade. How do I make it shine and look new? Starbright Polish on then wax with the Collinite Fleet Wax Paste? Also, How do I remove rust reside on the rudder which came from hull acid wash from my Bu dealership?

Thanks

martinarcher

I have color fade. How do I make it shine and look new? Starbright Polish on then wax with the Collinite Fleet Wax Paste? Also, How do I remove rust reside on the rudder which came from hull acid wash from my Bu dealership?

Thanks

Check out this thread for restoring color. It depends how bad of color fade your have, but basically you have to wet sand down to the good gel and then hit is with a polishing compound to bring back the shine. The amount of fade will determine what grit level to start out. The OP on that thread gave a bunch of great info on restoring gel, and as you can see from the pics, the results speak for themselves.

Rudders can be easily cleaned up with a wire wheel in a cordless drill. I have also heard lemon juice, but when it comes to cleaning up brass (rudders/tracking fins) the wire wheel works very well.

martinarcher

06 is right on with the Collinite products. We use their fiberglass boat cleaner and wax on our boat. The results speak for themselves. The previous owner used the same wax I do. I think you would be hard pressed to find another 22 year old boat that looks as good (and has never had the gelcoat restored.

post-7666-127108218138_thumb.jpg

post-7666-127108222644_thumb.jpg

Edited by martinarcher

06 is right on with the Collinite products. We use their fiberglass boat cleaner and wax on our boat. The results speak for themselves. The previous owner used the same wax I do. I think you would be hard pressed to find another 22 year old boat that looks as good (and has never had the gelcoat restored.

WOW!!! Looks Great!!!! 22 Years, can't argue with that.

martinarcher

WOW!!! Looks Great!!!! 22 Years, can't argue with that.

Yep - it's good stuff. If you plan on keeping your boat for the long run I would highly recommend it. I figured I'd post those pics. You always hear, "I wonder what works well to protect my boat over time?" Well, my boat has the time test covered! :lol:

• 1 year later...