Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Timing chain

throttle junkie

Is it common for a timing chain to go bad? I noticed that the timing was advanced so I corrected and after raising idle to 2500rpm's the timing had advanced again.What's up with that?

Raising idle to 2500 RPM? Isn't that kinda high? Or are you just pushing on the throttle to raise the engine RPM?

I think most all distributors change the timing thru the RPM range by design.

Like Bill said,

most distributer advance the timing as RPM increases. usually up around 30-38 degree range by 3000 or so RPM. some are Vacuum advance some are mechanical with internal weights and springs or electronic. If your timing chain started to jump or slip it wouldn't be long before your pistons start hammering your valves, I don't think that is your problem.

I don't think Ihave ever seen a worn out or slipped timing chain on any of our engines. When you are checking the ignition timing,you have to put the system into "base timing mode" so the ECM does not try to contol the timing. Once the timing is set to 10 degrees BTDC in base timing mode and you go back to ECM control, the ECM takes care of the ignition timing. Your Indmar Operator's Manual tells you how to get the ignition into base timing mode.

Is it common for a timing chain to go bad? I noticed that the timing was advanced so I corrected and after raising idle to 2500rpm's the timing had advanced again.What's up with that?