Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Switching slalom stance...

OTN

All,

This may be an odd situation, but I wanted to get your take. I started slalom skiing about 3 years ago. At the time my buddy skiied with his left foot forward, and, not knowing any better, that's how I learned.

Problem is, I'm definitely goofy-footed. Surf right foot forward, learning to wakeboard primarily right foot forward, etc.

Do you think I could make the switch to right foot forward on the slalom? How difficult would it be? How much of a difference would it make? Worth the hassle?

I'm an open-water recreational skiier, on the Triumph, usually ski ~31 mph at 15' off.

Thanks!

t

Just make the switch, it won't be that bad. If you can learn to ski with your feet reversed you can definitely learn how to ski with them correct. :yes:

The waterski club at our lake has a little tourny every fall (just ski club members) and afterwards we have a "ride it switched" competition. Some of the guys can't even get up. :lol: So good on you for being able to. The falls are hysterical. I'm goofy-footed and can't imagine skiing switched all the time.

If you have not skied this year yet it will be a good time to give it a go. It will seam odd for a time but its a matter of doing it long enough to make it feel comfortable.

I am a right foot forward but I can ski well as a lefty. It just does not fell wright for some time. (JMHO)

At this point all you can do is try it and see. The biggest issue I see is deep water starts if you do it with only one foot in the ski. I've never had a boat (until now) with enough power to pull me up with both feet in, so I always start with only one in. But, if you've ever skateboarded and push with your left and glide on your right, it shouldn't be an issue. Once you are up, I can see you being more comfortable and your riding will progress faster. If you try it and hate it, you can always switch back.

Trial and error...hopefully without emphasis on the latter.

I am picking up a used Monza with double Animal Boots. The previous skier skied right foot forward, but I ski left. I tried the ski out and it seems the only difference was a small arch in the boot. It did not seem to bother me much, but I was wondering if these boots are reversable? If not, are there inserts that may help mitigate the small difference? Just curious...

Thanks for the encouragement, everybody. I'm sure the original error had something to do with the difficulty I initially had in deep-water starts...at least we'll blame it on that, right?

I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow morning, so if any of you see someone flailing around on Lake Austin don't judge too harshly.

I am picking up a used Monza with double Animal Boots. The previous skier skied right foot forward, but I ski left. I tried the ski out and it seems the only difference was a small arch in the boot. It did not seem to bother me much, but I was wondering if these boots are reversable? If not, are there inserts that may help mitigate the small difference? Just curious...

The Animals have reversible footbeds. Remove the metal plate from the bottom of the boot then remove the "boots" from the plastic footbeds and reassemble after switching the footbeds. Do it when you're in a good mood and feeling very patient because it can be a PITA and more than just a little frustrating trying to get everything to line up right.

The toe rubber should be foot specific. I think you can replace the footbeds to make it right for you. They're a huge pain to rebuild though. I hate taking bindings apart. I'd just look on ski-it-again and see if you can work out a swap with someone.

The toe rubber should be foot specific. I think you can replace the footbeds to make it right for you. They're a huge pain to rebuild though. I hate taking bindings apart. I'd just look on ski-it-again and see if you can work out a swap with someone.

I've taken Animals apart a couple of times and yes it is a PITA but it is doable. Not sure what UW menas by "toe rubber". :dontknow: The only foot-specific part that I've encountered working on Animal bindings is the footbed itself. Once you switch them you'd be golden.

OTN, As others have said, the only way to tell is to give it a try. I wouldn't assume that you are currently incorrect/goofy. A buddy of mine tried the switch last year (just for s***es and giggles). He was amazed at how sore he was the next day...all from using the muscles differently.

I've taken Animals apart a couple of times and yes it is a PITA but it is doable. Not sure what UW menas by "toe rubber". :dontknow: The only foot-specific part that I've encountered working on Animal bindings is the footbed itself. Once you switch them you'd be golden.

The "toe rubber" is the lower forefoot hardboot portion. It's the white portion with the softer rubber laminated on the inside. That's what HO called it when I had mine replaced under warranty. Those are cut for specific feet on the newer Animals.

The "toe rubber" is the lower forefoot hardboot portion. It's the white portion with the softer rubber laminated on the inside. That's what HO called it when I had mine replaced under warranty. Those are cut for specific feet on the newer Animals.

Huh. Interesting. I think the last set of Animals I worked on were 07's or 08's. :unsure:

I love my Approaches. :) Can't wait to try HO's new hardshells. :biggrin:

To the OP - Sorry for the Hi-Jack. :innocent:

The Animals have reversible footbeds. Remove the metal plate from the bottom of the boot then remove the "boots" from the plastic footbeds and reassemble after switching the footbeds. Do it when you're in a good mood and feeling very patient because it can be a PITA and more than just a little frustrating trying to get everything to line up right.

:rofl:

So here are my new bindings. I believe they are 2005's. I noticed you mentioned you previously worked on newer bindings, and I was curious if you thought I would be able to reverse these footbeds. TIA

So here are my new bindings. I believe they are 2005's. I noticed you mentioned you previously worked on newer bindings, and I was curious if you thought I would be able to reverse these footbeds. TIA

Those look similar to the ones I had that had reversible footbeds. :unsure:

But it looks like the toe rubber is cut to be foot specific. :dontknow:

Could you switch the white portion of the upper as well? Because that's the part that looks "foot specific". My old ones were cut straight across, they didn't have that "curved" portion above the toes.

Edited by NorCaliBu

No worries about the hijack. Wanted to give an update.

Tried to give it a shot- certainly isn't the easiest thing in the world. Looks like it's going to be a bit more of a longer-term project if I ever get it off the ground. The water was just too glassy for me to spend to much time with it this past week.