Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

windshield tint

txwakejunkie

I know it has been talked about again and again. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on having it done and would like to know from the people that have done it. Other then looks, does it make a difference in temp in the cabin area or provide extra shade or anything?

Please give me the pros and cons other than looks and what % tint? I would like to do this next week if I am going to.

It would seem to me that the only thing it would do is diminish your view of the water in front of you. IE floating debris.

It would seem to me that the only thing it would do is diminish your view of the water in front of you. IE floating debris.

:plus1:

I think it looks good and would probably look good on the windshield of my car as well....but i would never do it.

I am in the ocean so to much s&%$# floating and anything that takes away from visability is a no no for me.

however it does look cool.

Had 2% on the front windshield of my 1990 Chevy and it was awesome. I had an electric pusher fan on the AC condenser and in downtown Memphis 105 temp you could only run the AC on half fan. Loved it, the tint blocked some much heat you wouldn't believe it. I will have it on the boat when I have time to pull the windshields.

Edited by Boat Rocks

I read on here before, which is why I never did it, was the angle & water & sun created such a glare at times it was more than annoying. That comment stopped me from doing it because it does look cool. I'm not sure how accurate this statement is so take it with a grain of salt. But hey, do it anyway and let us know. If there is no glare I'm getting mine done.

Thanks for the comments guys but im more interested in hearing from those that have had it done or have it done now! thanks.

I've done it on both the boats I've owned. And will do it on all the others I'll own. I noticed a HUGE difference in temperature from when it wasn't done then after. Due to it providing more shade (same as a car) it keeps the temps down. I haven't noticed any "glare" off the windshield??? unless you where on the outside of the boat looking at it or in the bow, how would you see a glare?

Oh, and not to mention, it looks sick. ;)

DSC_0294.jpg

Yes, it would look very cool but…it is too much of a safety factor with other boats, jet skis, Wally’s, ect. And then try driving the boat when the sun is going down. Visibility…zero.

Did it last summer. The temperature on the dashboard is significantly lower, we can now leave the ipod resting on it without fear of ruining it. Generally we drive looking up over the windsheild as you can't see if you are wearing sunglasses, without sunglasses looking through the windsheild is the same as though you were sporting shades. Never had glare issues. The boat has a 20% tint on it...

http://s775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/Butte09/?newest=1

Mine is 20%. I love it. i can see fine, take your shades off and the window tint serves as a second pair of shades. I do not worry about floating debris in my lake for i am very familiar with it and is very clean! I recommend having it done. if anything it will eliminate fading, cracking and or other weathering of your dash. :thumbup:

Edited by cmcgee82

Thanks for the comments guys but im more interested in hearing from those that have had it done or have it done now! thanks.

Those that have done it are going to justify why they like it some way or another, and not admit what they don't like about it, that's just human nature. Sounds like you just need a pep talk to pull the trigger, go get it done and post the pics :thumbup:

love the tint. i thinks it keeps the glare off the water and helps to see floating debris. kind of like polarized glasses. i dont noticed any difference in cabin temp since the boat moves around the sun so much. i didnt it because it followed the color shceme and i hate looking like a fish in a fish tank. all my vehicles are tinted including the front windshields.Picture087.jpg

Edited by hyperlite

Do it Do it Do it Do it! Just make sure you go to someone that knows what they're doing!!! It's real easy to make boat tint looks like $hit!!!

I had my windows tinted on my last boat for a few years and the week I bought this one, I got the windows tinted again. Visibility is not an issue with 20% unless you are boating at night... if you go darker it may be more difficult to see. I ride in the morning and at dusk frequently and do not have problems. With the bimini up and the window tinted it seems to provide a little more shade... my two year old sleeps in the observer seat and usually has shade with the tint and bimini.

Like A7X said... make sure someone who knows what they are doing tints the window.

Mine is 20%. I love it. i can see fine, take your shades off and the window tint serves as a second pair of shades. I do not worry about floating debris in my lake for i am very familiar with it and is very clean! I recommend having it done. if anything it will eliminate fading, cracking and or other weathering of your dash. :thumbup:

Is your dealer grandpa's marine? Did you take it there to get tinted?

Those that have done it are going to justify why they like it some way or another, and not admit what they don't like about it, that's just human nature. Sounds like you just need a pep talk to pull the trigger, go get it done and post the pics :thumbup:

Im sure your right on getting only the pros and no cons from people that have done it. I was ready to get it done and the wife says find out if there are any negatives before we have it done. We have a little one on the way and i was thinking the extra shade and lower temps would be nice to have for the baby. We will decide soon and if we get it done i will post pics!! :thumbup:

love the tint. i thinks it keeps the glare off the water and helps to see floating debris. kind of like polarized glasses. i dont noticed any difference in cabin temp since the boat moves around the sun so much. i didnt it because it followed the color shceme and i hate looking like a fish in a fish tank. all my vehicles are tinted including the front windshields.Picture087.jpg

Looks great, is that 20%??

Wake Junkie,

Where are you getting it done in Dallas? Did you ever call Moon Shadow in Plano? I still haven't had a chance to take my BU by there to get it done, but hoping to before the riding season fully ramps up. Let me know where you get it done and how it turns out. It's gonna be sick I'm sure!

Thanks

Wake Junkie,

Where are you getting it done in Dallas? Did you ever call Moon Shadow in Plano? I still haven't had a chance to take my BU by there to get it done, but hoping to before the riding season fully ramps up. Let me know where you get it done and how it turns out. It's gonna be sick I'm sure!

Thanks

they told me $325, found a guy in Gatesville that has done lots of boats and told me $275. I think i have got the wife on my side now, so i hope to have it done next week. I will post pics and let you know how it turns out.

thanks to all with the comments and pics that made her mind up for me! :thumbup:

I know it has been talked about again and again. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on having it done and would like to know from the people that have done it. Other then looks, does it make a difference in temp in the cabin area or provide extra shade or anything?

Please give me the pros and cons other than looks and what % tint? I would like to do this next week if I am going to.

• 9 months later...

cons... you are eating bugs after twilight... just before twilight.. awesome for glare.. we have two young kids and the tint on the front and sides with a bimini give a pretty good shady spot.