Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cooler Removal

Ndawg12

I abandoned my built-in cooler last year since it doesn't keep stuff cool for very long at all and it defies the laws of physics and doesn't drain even though the divider is removed and the hole to the bilge is completely open.

Anyways, those who've done it, did you remove the actual hard plastic shell? Is it carpeted underneath, how did you get it out?

TIA, Nate

I abandoned my built-in cooler last year since it doesn't keep stuff cool for very long at all and it defies the laws of physics and doesn't drain even though the divider is removed and the hole to the bilge is completely open.

Anyways, those who've done it, did you remove the actual hard plastic shell? Is it carpeted underneath, how did you get it out?

TIA, Nate

I took our cooler out years ago. The compartment is completly carpeted. I put a 2x4 under it, and cut it out with a jig saw.

Consider keeping it especially if you have kids. Ours never has drinks in it, but it is usually used to house the various NASTIES that are acquired on a trip. Our 6 year old can get very messy in short order so all his dirties go in a plastic bag first, and then into the cooler. :)

Consider keeping it especially if you have kids. Ours never has drinks in it, but it is usually used to house the various NASTIES that are acquired on a trip. Our 6 year old can get very messy in short order so all his dirties go in a plastic bag first, and then into the cooler. :)

Cool $#it! :Tease3:

We use the removeable soft cooler bag that fits in that cooler under the seat. Love it. :rockon:

I freeze about 70% of the bottled water we buy from Costco. Then use that as the ice to keep the other drinks cold. As it melts, it's drinking water.

I took our cooler out years ago. The compartment is completly carpeted. I put a 2x4 under it, and cut it out with a jig saw.

Not sure I follow you here, can you elaborate on this?

I know all about the nasty stuff your talking about, I've got a 21 month old and another due in a month :cry: We throw that stuff in a plastic bag and then into the main trash bag which is tied to the windshield brace.

We use the removeable soft cooler bag that fits in that cooler under the seat. Love it. :rockon:

I freeze about 70% of the bottled water we buy from Costco. Then use that as the ice to keep the other drinks cold. As it melts, it's drinking water.

I've got a cooler that fits perfectly behind the driver's seat. When I raised my driver seat I positioned the base an inch or so more forward to allow this cooler to be easily accessible with the seat all the way back. This cooler holds about 30....sodas and ice, so usually it's all we need.

I'm just thinking with the dwindling storage room (due to ballast bags in the rear and bow) I'd like to have some more nicely carpeted hidden storage.

Not sure I follow you here, can you elaborate on this?

In the '05 VLX models the cooler was just a fiberglass tub(which had very little insulation) that fit snugg under the flip up seat. There was know way to take the cooler out unless you removed the seat bottom or just cut the cooler in half and pulled it out.

In the '05 VLX models the cooler was just a fiberglass tub(which had very little insulation) that fit snugg under the flip up seat. There was know way to take the cooler out unless you removed the seat bottom or just cut the cooler in half and pulled it out.

That's exactly how mine is. So did you cut it in half. Trying to figure out how the 2x4 came into play...???

That's exactly how mine is. So did you cut it in half. Trying to figure out how the 2x4 came into play...???

In order to cut the cooler in half with a jig saw, you need to lift the cooler off the floor an inch or so to provide room for ths saw blade to reciporcate.

In order to cut the cooler in half with a jig saw, you need to lift the cooler off the floor an inch or so to provide room for ths saw blade to reciporcate.

Woody, thanks for the info but I'm still trying to figure how you wedged to 2x4 under the cooler. Where was the entry point and/or what panel or peice did you remove?

Woody, thanks for the info but I'm still trying to figure how you wedged to 2x4 under the cooler. Where was the entry point and/or what panel or peice did you remove?

Sorry I forgot one thing... You have to remove the false wall that is behind the trailing edge of the cooler. The wall is only held in with a few screws along the top edge.

Once you have the wall out, pull up on the trailing edge of the cooer and slide the 2x4 under it so you have clearence for the saw blade.

Consider keeping it especially if you have kids. Ours never has drinks in it, but it is usually used to house the various NASTIES that are acquired on a trip. Our 6 year old can get very messy in short order so all his dirties go in a plastic bag first, and then into the cooler. Smile.gif

We use it for food but also for trash at times.

We use the removeable soft cooler bag that fits in that cooler under the seat. Love it. Rockon.gif

Most of the time this is what we do as well. No sure removing it gains any real addtional storage area.

Sorry I forgot one thing... You have to remove the false wall that is behind the trailing edge of the cooler. The wall is only held in with a few screws along the top edge.

Once you have the wall out, pull up on the trailing edge of the cooer and slide the 2x4 under it so you have clearence for the saw blade.

Got it, thanks, so do you think it was worth it?

Edited by Ndawg12

Got it, thanks, so do you think it was worth it?

I use the length of the compartment to store all my mooring gear. Plus when the cooler was in there the person seating in that spot always had to get up when people wanted a beverage(which happens often).

Now we just put a soft sided cooler next to the seat for everyone's access.