Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tracking fins

I have a 02 wakesetter and the front tracking fin is loose. On this model these fins are through bolted, and after pulling up the floor I found that the front hex bolt is under the fuel tank. I am wondering if I can simple screw 4 new scews in from the bottom of the boat on each corner of the tracking fin? I understand that on the newer models this is how it is done anyway. Would this be an acceptable solution? Or should I pull the tank out and tighten the exsiting hex? To pull the tank it is quite a job due to the fact that the rear bench has to come out and there are screws barried inside the cooler. Please email me with any responses at [email protected] or feel free to call me if you are experienced with this issue. 612-735-0534 Thanks

I haven't actually done it but, I don't think pulling the tank out would be all that hard. I don't think the rear bench seat is built on top of the tank. If you remove the large floor panel, disconnect all the lines going to the tank, drain the tank, it would seem to me that you could pull the tank up and forward to get it out.

I'd look into that way before drilling additional holes in your hull.

I dunno, I looked at mine over spring break and pulling the tank looked like a PITA just for the very reason you describe. Unfortunately for you, I think you already know what needs to be done. I don't think putting new screws in from the bottom is the correct solution.

I have a 02 wakesetter and the front tracking fin is loose. On this model these fins are through bolted, and after pulling up the floor I found that the front hex bolt is under the fuel tank. I am wondering if I can simple screw 4 new scews in from the bottom of the boat on each corner of the tracking fin? I understand that on the newer models this is how it is done anyway. Would this be an acceptable solution? Or should I pull the tank out and tighten the exsiting hex? To pull the tank it is quite a job due to the fact that the rear bench has to come out and there are screws barried inside the cooler. Please email me with any responses at [email protected] or feel free to call me if you are experienced with this issue. 612-735-0534 Thanks

Just did the same job. Takes longer to get the fuel out than to make access to the fin. I was dreading this for two years and put it off until I had no choice. Wasn't bad at all. Take the time while you have everything out to adjust the shaft packing and change oil in V-drive. It's alot easier with the rear seat and tank out.