Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with trans issue

Hey guys,

I'm trying to help a friend with his Mastercraft (boo, hiss, ;) ).

Right now, when we put the boat in gear, the boat doesn't move....in the water. When we originally checked the trans fluid, it was almost non-existant. So, we bought three quarts of Mercon and added it. But the dipstick still isn't showing anything nor is the prop moving the boat.

The manual calls for three quarts, so we should be good there. What else could the problem be? Also, there doesn't seem to be a seperate v-drive unit for the boat....does this sound right?

FWIW, it's a 1998 Maristar 200 VRS.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm trying to help a friend with his Mastercraft (boo, hiss, ;) ).

Right now, when we put the boat in gear, the boat doesn't move....in the water. When we originally checked the trans fluid, it was almost non-existant. So, we bought three quarts of Mercon and added it. But the dipstick still isn't showing anything nor is the prop moving the boat.

The manual calls for three quarts, so we should be good there. What else could the problem be? Also, there doesn't seem to be a seperate v-drive unit for the boat....does this sound right?

FWIW, it's a 1998 Maristar 200 VRS.

Thanks!

Something is strange here....you say the manual specs 3 qts of ATF and when you added 3 there was still nothing on the dipstick. Either you are looking at the wrong spec, or the tranny fluid is going somewhere....So I guess I would start by double checking the spec and/or checking to see where the fluid is going.

I'd make sure all the physical couplings of the trans and/or V-drive are bolted up all the way down to the prop.

So, I'd be checking all the couplings for being bolted together (it's not un-common that the bolts back out).

I'd also make sure the prop is tight on the shaft and the brass key didn't shear and is causing the shaft to spin but, not the prop.

As for the trans. fluid disappearing, you got me there. Either you have a big hole in the bottom of the trans. or, you're checking the wrong thing.

Well,

You definitely wanna start with the basics. First thing I'd be checking is the cooling lines going to and from the trans. Sorry, I don't know how an MC drive line is laid out.