Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Temp is WAY low

OK yesterday got out and got my first ski in.

44 degree lake temp. only a wetsuit and still worth it...

Here is my question,

My temperature gauge hardly got above the 120 degree mark. i would say it looked like it was running around 130 degrees.

Is this normal?? Never had any trouble with the engine running hot. On my truck the needle for the temp gauge is right in the middle when the engine is at normal operating temp.

Wasn't sure if this is normal for the temp gauge needle not to be in the middle when warm.

Boat ran great never turned it off ran it for over an 1.5 hours.

Let me know if I need to get it checked out...

Thanks

I think 160 is about where you should be....from what I remember.

Also, take your gauges with a grain of salt...there might be some error in them. My mechanic friends rarely trust them.

Maybe your t-stat is stuck open, that would contribute to a low temp reading.

I think 160 is about where you should be....from what I remember.

Also, take your gauges with a grain of salt...there might be some error in them. My mechanic friends rarely trust them.

Maybe your t-stat is stuck open, that would contribute to a low temp reading.

Yes, normal running temp. should be 160 degrees. In colder water, it is possible that it "may" run a little cooler, but not likely. It may be time for a thermostat replacement.

To keep the exhaust manifolds cool there is a water bleed that allows water to constantly circulate and exit through the pipes. Your t-stat is probably a 140 degree one, boats run cool to keep the salt from causing damage from higher water temps. I have seen cooler temps in these boats when running in cold water temps. You can check your tstat operation on the stove by heating up some water and see at what temp it opens with a meat thermometer. There is usually a bleed hole drilled in the thermostat to allow water to circulate. Don't forget, you probably also did not work the boat that hard, sounds like a reasonable amount of idling with a few ski runs so the engine did not really produce enough heat to offset the cold water coming in. I run a higher temp stat in the spring and fall when the water is below 50-60 degrees. Also, if you are running a heater, it is also helping cool the engine water.