Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting the run around on new Malibu?

bennekm

Anyone else waiting in limbo on their new boat? I ordered my boat on Feb 27 and it's now over a month later and nobody can tell me anything about an ETA or spray date....I even sent Malibu a facebook message and they got back to me and told me they see the order but to work through my dealership, as they didn't have any info. How is that possible? I'm getting really frustrated...I expected the boat would be ready by the end of April which is looking pretty improbable given I don't even have a spray date. Putting 10% down and having no info on a build date a month later is totally unacceptable from my perspective. Can anybody help or hook me up with someone that may actually be enlightened on production scheduling?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bennekm

• Keeowee

• WakeGirl

• Ndawg12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a ? many people have. Malibu is building a hand full of boats a day so around 25+ a week. but one thing everyone has to remember is your just in line with everyone else that ordered there new boats at the winter boat shows. we had 3 people order boats back in december and they just came in today. so be patient because its worth it all. dont rush perfection! but the sales manager should be able to give you a date or atleast a time frame of when its going to get started.

Anyone else waiting in limbo on their new boat? I ordered my boat on Feb 27 and it's now over a month later and nobody can tell me anything about an ETA or spray date....I even sent Malibu a facebook message and they got back to me and told me they see the order but to work through my dealership, as they didn't have any info. How is that possible? I'm getting really frustrated...I expected the boat would be ready by the end of April which is looking pretty improbable given I don't even have a spray date. Putting 10% down and having no info on a build date a month later is totally unacceptable from my perspective. Can anybody help or hook me up with someone that may actually be enlightened on production scheduling?

I'm in the same boat too...

I ordered mine Feb 22nd and also put down 10%...have had the same feelings, but have also understood the point another poster made about being in line. Frustrating that I can't get a time frame narrowed down, but since I was told it would be June(maybe May) I'm not going full tilt yet...considering the build time is supposedly about two weeks from spray date.

Staying patient...should my dealer be able to give me the spray date now? I've asked and have repeatedly been told that he's waiting on an answer.

My dealer told me that malibu has a lot of parts on backorder for example they received a new dealer order boat last week and it does not even have the center portion of the windshield as well as several other minor parts/accessories. My boat was missing the brackets for the mirror mount and they told me "its on backorder". CRAZY Is it like this every year? a waiting list? does this mean my boat has temporarily increased in value? if so.................. :rockon:

I order my 2010 247 LSV back on August 8th and was delivered on Sept 18th :yahoo: Of course that's when it was really SLOW :whistle:. All I can say is its worth the wait ....hang in there :werule:

I ordered my 23 LSV in early February and it's been at my dealer for two weeks. I think my order was expedited because I requested one of the few remaining 8.1L motors.

We placed the order for our Axis in November and got it Feb 19. We ordered ours when at the same time the dealers were getting theirs built for the boat shows. The last I heard, Malibu was running 5 days a week compared to their normal 4 to push out more boats. I understand your frustration that the dealer can't get you an idea on the spray date, but its worth the wait. At least the order was accepted and they were able to see it. I heard they got slammed after the boat shows with tons of orders. Thats what I like to hear though, just means Malibu isnt going anywhere :rockon: . Also remember that all production is going through the Loudon Tn plant.

All I can say is that I wish I had your problem... ;)

Where are you and what dealer? What boat did you order?

WI....Skipper Buds in Madison. Ordered a 23 LSV Wakesetter.

I'm in the same boat too...

I ordered mine Feb 22nd and also put down 10%...have had the same feelings, but have also understood the point another poster made about being in line. Frustrating that I can't get a time frame narrowed down, but since I was told it would be June(maybe May) I'm not going full tilt yet...considering the build time is supposedly about two weeks from spray date.

Staying patient...should my dealer be able to give me the spray date now? I've asked and have repeatedly been told that he's waiting on an answer.

They definitely didn't tell me June....I wouldn't have ordered it if I knew it was going to be that late. My expectation was end of April or Early May. My season is 1/3 over if I don't hit the water until middle/end of June....we only get 3 1/2 months up here. This boat is WAY too expensive to only use it 2 months this year. If ETA is really end of June, I need to know now so I can cancel my order and get a boat to use this summer....plus I'd rather wait for a 2011 at that point. Patience is not one of my virtues! I agree I don't want Malibu to decrease quality, but they need to allow to consumers make informed decision instead of having them wait in limbo and ultimately lose consumer loyalty. I've ordered several cars before, some being niche sports cars...I have never been in a position that over 1 month after placing the order I have no idea when it's going to be ready. Seriously...There aren't too many of us around that are willing to pay this much for a wakeboard boat (Apparently more than they expected since they can't keep up with production), but were is the customer service...I expect more from Malibu than this!

Edited by bennekm

sounds like you have a dealer problem.

Adam from Malibu on facebook couldn't provide me a rough date...I think it's a Malibu problem.

This isn't meant to make excuses for Malibu, but rather just to remind people of what the current situation may be. Something to keep in mind.....

With all of the businesses that have gone under in the past 2 years & the re-tooling/re-fitting required by companies like Malibu to get the pieces & parts needed to put their products on the market, I would guess that a lot of what you're experiencing has to do with this issue. Getting parts necessary for a niche product such as a Malibu would be easier said than done if the one company that makes any given part has either gone under or is experiencing financial difficulties. Again this isn't meant to excuse the situation, but rather just remind people that this economic climate is one that most of us have not seen in our lifetimes.

Malibu has seen an incredible influx in orders from the past month. They have an incredible amount of factors to scheduling. I wouldn't want that job. The big problem right now isn't malibu, it's their parts suppliers. Malibu has to do a projection back in August as to the quantity of product they need to buy. Well, things are a whole lot different now than they were in August.

Malibu has seen an incredible influx in orders from the past month. They have an incredible amount of factors to scheduling. I wouldn't want that job. The big problem right now isn't malibu, it's their parts suppliers. Malibu has to do a projection back in August as to the quantity of product they need to buy. Well, things are a whole lot different now than they were in August.

But that doesn't explain the fact that he can't even get a response on anything. I say bypass your dealer and call them direct. Somebody at Malibu has 3 minutes to talk to him. Even if they can't give him a date at least he can rest assured that he brought his issue to someone's attention and that they're working to get him an answer.

Edited by Ndawg12

But that doesn't explain the fact that he can't even get a response on anything. I say bypass your dealer and call them direct. Somebody at Malibu has 3 minutes to talk to him. Even if they can't give him a date at least he can rest assured that he brought his issue to someone's attention and that they're working to get him an answer.

I think you're right, but it's entirely plausible that Malibu just doesn't know. If they're having supplier issues, it would be out of their control.

I think you're right, but it's entirely plausible that Malibu just doesn't know. If they're having supplier issues, it would be out of their control.

I'm just looking for a idea of when they think it will be done....if there has been a large in-flux and they don't have components and it's not plausable that the boat will be ready by memorial day or soon after...then I just need to know that instead of sitting here wondering if I will have a boat or not at the beginning of the season. I'm not trying to be unreasonable...just realistic and determine if I should pursue canceling this order and buying something else.

I'm totally with bennekm on this one. I can appreciate that Malibu may be struggling to get raw materials and or component parts - but c'mon. Really? I'm in WI as well, and he's not kidding - we have 14 - 16 weeks of weather and water that you can ski on. Let's say that in the first year, there's $6000 in boat payments, $8k - $10k in depreciation, and all of the setup issues. I'm not trying to debate that point - just sayin' it's probably not unreasonable to think there's $15,000 worth of cash just GONE in the first year of owning a brand new Malibu 23.

That's about $1,000 a weekend.

That's a lot to lose.

That's some really expensive patience.

Sure - it gets less over time. But I would not be the patient one either. If I was going in to the summer knowing that I was kissing goodbye, a thousand dollars a weekend on a new boat - I'd be on that boat and lovin' every second. There are other choices that can be made at this moment that may cost less and accomplish the same thing. If the boat isn't going to be scheduled for a month, and not done until a month after that...just say so. Right?

I'm totally with bennekm on this one. I can appreciate that Malibu may be struggling to get raw materials and or component parts - but c'mon. Really? I'm in WI as well, and he's not kidding - we have 14 - 16 weeks of weather and water that you can ski on. Let's say that in the first year, there's $6000 in boat payments, $8k - $10k in depreciation, and all of the setup issues. I'm not trying to debate that point - just sayin' it's probably not unreasonable to think there's $15,000 worth of cash just GONE in the first year of owning a brand new Malibu 23.

That's about $1,000 a weekend.

That's a lot to lose.

That's some really expensive patience.

Sure - it gets less over time. But I would not be the patient one either. If I was going in to the summer knowing that I was kissing goodbye, a thousand dollars a weekend on a new boat - I'd be on that boat and lovin' every second. There are other choices that can be made at this moment that may cost less and accomplish the same thing. If the boat isn't going to be scheduled for a month, and not done until a month after that...just say so. Right?

That's what I was getting at. Tell him something, maybe the truth will hurt, but I think Malibu would be better served by being honest rathering than dodging the question all together, which how his dealer is making it sound. Take it to another level!

What I'm saying is that the possibility exists that Malibu doesn't know the answer to that question, that they can't even guess at this point. If the supply chain is that fluid right now, it could very well be the case. And if that is indeed the case, then it would be unfair to ask them to guess, don't you think?

That's what I was getting at. Tell him something, maybe the truth will hurt, but I think Malibu would be better served by being honest rathering than dodging the question all together, which how his dealer is making it sound. Take it to another level!

Taking it a step further:

By dodging the question, either Malibu is making the dealer look bad or the dealer is making Malibu look bad. As a company, that's the last thing either of them want to do.

What I'm saying is that the possibility exists that Malibu doesn't know the answer to that question, that they can't even guess at this point. If the supply chain is that fluid right now, it could very well be the case. And if that is indeed the case, then it would be unfair to ask them to guess, don't you think?

It is possible, but you are speculating and it is a fact that the truth is being withheld from the customer. They (the dealer) haven't said Malibu doesn't have it scheduled (although that could be true) and they haven't said Malibu is having any problems sourcing, and they haven't said we can tell you on x date. So I have to go with the OP on this. Communication is in Malibu and the dealers control, even if other issues are not. That is just MHO.

Edited by MalibuTime

To Wake Girl's point - if they don't know and can't answer the question, then in my opinion, just not answering it isn't good enough. That's just my opinion though.

I'd hope for - "honestly, we can't get the flibidy wiffer and the muffler bearings from the supplier. They are jammed up and have not been able to tell us when we will have them to put on your boat."

My best guess is they'll have them here by the 15th of April. Then we can schedule your boat onto a production line. Right now the production line is 2 weeks deep, so your spray date will be at the end of April. It takes 2 weeks from spray to truck. And another 2 weeks to get to Madison, prepped and ready to ski behind. With everything I can guess at right now, you are looking at June 4th to take delivery.

That's at least scientific wild a$$ guessing, with room to wiggle, and a lot of explanation. No one wants a boat that doesn't have a flibidy wiffer anyway. We all know how important that is. And muffler bearings? Not something you're just going to stick on yourself 2 weeks later.

High-end luxury goods. Selling them is a ballet of managing expectations. I don't think Malibu is doing that very well at this moment...from what I read here...which is admittedly pretty narrow band to sample a business on.