Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Will not shift into reverse!

okay so i just bought a malibu response lx with the 5.7l monsoon, anyways i took it out for the first time today and it started great ran great and everything.. on major problem though, it would not shift into reverse.. it shifted fine into drive and when i would pull out the silver knob i could move it into reverse and rev the engine but would not let me shift into reverse to engage the prop... any insight or guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated.. thank you

...when i would pull out the silver knob i could move it into reverse and rev the engine but would not let me shift into reverse to engage the prop... any insight or guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated...

Ya, don't take it out of gear when shifting into reverse. :Doh: Pulling out the silver knob prevents the transmission from engaging whether going into forward or reverse. Going into reverse is just like going into forward except you're pulling the handle backwards. :)

Ya, don't take it out of gear when shifting into reverse. Doh.gif Pulling out the silver knob prevents the transmission from engaging whether going into forward or reverse. Going into reverse is just like going into forward except you're pulling the handle backwards. Smile.gif

Remember to reset silver knob BEFORE backing wife and boat into lake!!

REW

She did figure it out pretty quick

yeah i know how to shift into reverse.. im saying that the lever will not go into reverse, it will not go backward.. it is stuck, it will only go forward or go into neutral, im saying is there something i can check to see what is preventing it from going into reverse, "this isnt my first boat" just my first malibu, didnt know if yall had any insight as to what the problem might be... And yeah the only time the lever will go backward is when i pull out the silver knob, while being in neutral then pulling the lever back as im holding the knob.. i know the lets the trans pass by but that is the only time the throttle will go backward, if that makes n e sense

...I'm saying that the lever will not go into reverse, it will not go backward.. it is stuck, it will only go forward or go into neutral, im saying is there something i can check to see what is preventing it from going into reverse,...

Oh. :biggrin: In that case, I would double check the backside of the throttle mechanism and make sure that nothing related to the cable / lever is binding up, nothing "rattled" loose. Hard to diagnose without being able to put hands on. If nothing there, then I'd disconnect the cable at the tranny end and try to shift the transmission manually to make sure that the binding isn't there. The good thing is, there aren't a lot of pieces to this puzzle so there aren't a lot of possiblities. It's either the lever, the cable, or the tranny.

yeah the person i just bought the boat from is paying for it to go into the dealership and be service and repaired.

Nice to know you bought the boat from a stand-up guy/gal, huh? :thumbup:

Keep us posted. I personally would like to know what's causing it. :yes:

Saved the seller some money today and found the problem and fixed it... The problem was that some dill hole mounted the shift assembly with a wood screw and it was too long and it was causing the bracket to not be able to move

Saved the seller some money today and found the problem and fixed it... The problem was that some dill hole mounted the shift assembly with a wood screw and it was too long and it was causing the bracket to not be able to move

Amazing how something so simple can get you so :Frustrated:

Sounds like both you and the seller were standup guys while this situation played out :cheers: