Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering grunt and noise?

I've noticed more and more that my steering seems to be making lots of noise every time I pull up a rider. It's sort of a very audible grunt or rattle that starts loud and tapers off when you punch the throttle from a stop, and is worse with the wedge down. Even worse if you take off with the steering not straight ahead.

I am thinking this is slack in the steering cable, that gets taken up under power when the rudder is pushed by the water?

Whatever it is, it's getting annoying. Is this something I can reduce or eliminate?

FYI, '05 VLX, 80 hours.

I've noticed more and more that my steering seems to be making lots of noise every time I pull up a rider. It's sort of a very audible grunt or rattle that starts loud and tapers off when you punch the throttle from a stop, and is worse with the wedge down. Even worse if you take off with the steering not straight ahead.

I am thinking this is slack in the steering cable, that gets taken up under power when the rudder is pushed by the water?

Whatever it is, it's getting annoying. Is this something I can reduce or eliminate?

FYI, '05 VLX, 80 hours.

I have heard that noise on several 05 VLXs. Seemed like it was more pronounced with the wedge down. It may be the turbulence on the rudder causing the steering cable to vibrate or the teeth on the rack and pinion to rattle. I'm just guessing though.