Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blue Sea help

Hey all. I am new to the site as I just bought a 03 VLX. I know this topic has been beaten into the ground but in looking through the threads I can't seem to find the info I was looking for. I am trying to install the add a batt system. Boat currently only has one battery. In my boat there is only the alternator wire the panel lead and amp wire in the storage area.

How do you separate the house distribution panel from starting circuit when there is only one wire running to panel and ignition under floor?

Does an additional wire need to be run and what gauge and where?

In order to wire the switch up do I need to pull a new wire to the panel or starter? Also should the amp be hooked up through the same lug as the distribution panel or directly to the house batt?

Appreciate any help.

hook the amp directly to the house battery.

I think I had the exact same freakout about running wire to the house panel. Look closely again at your current positive terminal. There are probably two wires hooked to it... one coming from the alternator, the other coming from the house panel. All you have to do is unscrew them from your battery terminal and voila, you can screw them into the appropriate places on the switch.

also a couple of people told me not to worry about the starting separation feature.

hook the amp directly to the house battery.

I think I had the exact same freakout about running wire to the house panel. Look closely again at your current positive terminal. There are probably two wires hooked to it... one coming from the alternator, the other coming from the house panel. All you have to do is unscrew them from your battery terminal and voila, you can screw them into the appropriate places on the switch.

also a couple of people told me not to worry about the starting separation feature.

You are correct there are two wires in there. The 2gauge wire runs to the alternator?? and the 6 gauge runs to the distribution panel. However, in the blue seas wiring diagram there are two connections. 1 coming from the alternator which stays connected to the house battery and 1 coming from the starter connected to the switch. Am I just supposed to connect the alternator cable to the switch and not to the battery?

You are correct there are two wires in there. The 2gauge wire runs to the alternator?? and the 6 gauge runs to the distribution panel. However, in the blue seas wiring diagram there are two connections. 1 coming from the alternator which stays connected to the house battery and 1 coming from the starter connected to the switch. Am I just supposed to connect the alternator cable to the switch and not to the battery?

Don't worry about the wire to the starter (it's optional as it says in their instructions). You will wire the 2 awg from the alternator to the new switch you are putting in. You will then run a new wire to the battery from the recently installed switch.

Are you running two batteries? You don't mention the use of another battery in this setup?

Don't worry about the wire to the starter (it's optional as it says in their instructions). You will wire the 2 awg from the alternator to the new switch you are putting in. You will then run a new wire to the battery from the recently installed switch.

Are you running two batteries? You don't mention the use of another battery in this setup?

Sorry Yes I'm going to be running two batteries with ACR

The diagram shows the alternator wire connected to the house battery and the switch connected to the starter and the optional starter isolation connected to the acr and starter. If I can do it the way you are describing then the install should be easy.

post-12566-12699989242_thumb.jpg

I tried to attach the diagram so that you could see what I'm getting at.

so in the diagram the alt wire and the switch wire are connected together at the terminal and then a wire runs to the switch. So they are connected in common on the battery terminal. Let's say instead you run the alt wire to the switch... then they are connected in common at the switch, yes? Same difference basically, but you can just have the one wire to your positive battery terminal.

so in the diagram the alt wire and the switch wire are connected together at the terminal and then a wire runs to the switch. So they are connected in common on the battery terminal. Let's say instead you run the alt wire to the switch... then they are connected in common at the switch, yes? Same difference basically, but you can just have the one wire to your positive battery terminal.

still would need two connected to the battery as one would have to run to the ACR Or Can I just make a short run from the switch to the acr then tie into the battery that way? Less cable in a tight area. Also Can i just ground the two batteries together ? Thank for all the guidance having a tough time wrapping my dome around this.

still would need two connected to the battery as one would have to run to the ACR Or Can I just make a short run from the switch to the acr then tie into the battery that way? Less cable in a tight area. Also Can i just ground the two batteries together ? Thank for all the guidance having a tough time wrapping my dome around this.

Exactly you have it right.

Thanks!

Sorry I meant that you can tie the acr directly to the switch and don't have to run another wire to he battery. Less wire and accomplishes the same thing.

Sorry I meant that you can tie the acr directly to the switch and don't have to run another wire to he battery. Less wire and accomplishes the same thing.

both batts need to be connected to the acr no???