Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carpet very flat and matted down

Me too. I scrubbed mine with a brush last night and then pulled the water out with a shop vac w/ squeegee attachment. Standard spring cleaning. Made it a little better, but not much.

I was thinking of a carpet saver, anybody got any experience with those?

I did mine the other night with a smaller steamvac. I wanted to go over and over it till the water turned clear, but I gave up after the 8th time. After everything dried it did look much better. I'm betting that if I continue to clean the carpet till the water turns clear then it will look brand new. The carpet has 3 years worth of beer, suntan lotion, etc. soaked up in the fibers, so its going to take some time to remove all of that grime. I know for a fact that the buddy I purchased the boat from never took the time to really clean the carpet. I'm OCD so I know that eventually I will do just that...I will let you know how it turns out.

Edited by MexTex

I read somewhere recently (probably on this forum) that fabric softner really works well to bring the carpet back. Can anyone elaborate on that?

A couple of times a year I'll take mine to the car wash and pressure wash the carpet with clear water only, then shop vac it out and put fans in the boat to dry. It helps. Maybe I need to do that, then spray down with some dilute fabric softner on it, then do the whole thing again??

Ed

Edited by ed obermeier

My boat was brand new last year and the carpet was matted down almost immediately. I don't think there is much you can do about it with all the foot traffic in a confined space. As far as the carpet saver, it is nice to have to keep carpet clean but needs to be removed after each outing to dry it. It is heavy and takes a little bit of work getting it back in due to the nubs on the bottom side. I would still recommend it to save any staining of the interior carpet. Im picking my boat up today and will try cleaning carpet with a Little Green Clean Machine and see if that helps the matting issue.

My boat was brand new last year and the carpet was matted down almost immediately. I don't think there is much you can do about it with all the foot traffic in a confined space. As far as the carpet saver, it is nice to have to keep carpet clean but needs to be removed after each outing to dry it. It is heavy and takes a little bit of work getting it back in due to the nubs on the bottom side. I would still recommend it to save any staining of the interior carpet. Im picking my boat up today and will try cleaning carpet with a Little Green Clean Machine and see if that helps the matting issue.

You may want to use a little bit bigger steamvac, the little green machine may take forever...but it would do well in the hard to reach areas. I used the Bissell QuickSteamer and I had to refill that sucker about 9 times.

Edited by MexTex

A good cleaner and pressure washer works well. You have to vacuum the water out after. It will not be like new but it will be much better. I would pull all of the seats etc. out. It will be much easier to clean it afterwards.

That is the reasone I decided to pass on the carpet saver until the carpet needs to be covered, if ever. I didn't want the extra hassle of pulling it every time, and then having to pull it on multi-day vacations so that water doesn't sit under it for days on end without drying.

The carpet cleaning thread a few weeks ago I think the main point was if you use detergent or any other agent that you need to rinse, rinse, rinse, otherwise the residue helps attract dirt.

Edited by MalibuTime

I also take mine to the carwash. I pressure wash with hot soapy water then rinse until suds are gone. Then vacuum out excess water and then I brush the carpet nap so it's standing. I put fans in the boat and it dries that way. It looks great for about oh....a couple of outings, then it's smushed again. Grrrrrr. I'm a believer in the pressure wash method. You can see when it goes from dirty to clean and all the excess soapy water cleans the bilge out.

MalibuNation

That is the reasone I decided to pass on the carpet saver until the carpet needs to be covered, if ever. I didn't want the extra hassle of pulling it every time, and then having to pull it on multi-day vacations so that water doesn't sit under it for days on end without drying.

The carpet cleaning thread a few weeks ago I think the main point was if you use detergent or any other agent that you need to rinse, rinse, rinse, otherwise the residue helps attract dirt.

10-4 on the soap removal.

I read somewhere recently (probably on this forum) that fabric softner really works well to bring the carpet back. Can anyone elaborate on that?

A couple of times a year I'll take mine to the car wash and pressure wash the carpet with clear water only, then shop vac it out and put fans in the boat to dry. It helps. Maybe I need to do that, then spray down with some dilute fabric softner on it, then do the whole thing again??

Ed

I didn't use "fabric softener", but I did use Kirby Vacuum Carpet Shampoo since when I use it on the house carpets, it always leaves the carpet extremely soft. It worked very well for my 12-year old Echelon; really brought the carpet back nicely and was very soft.

One note of caution: it was a little slippery for the initial outing...I may not have gotten all the shampoo out of the fibers.

It also comes in smaller bottles.

I didn't use "fabric softener", but I did use Kirby Vacuum Carpet Shampoo since when I use it on the house carpets, it always leaves the carpet extremely soft. It worked very well for my 12-year old Echelon; really brought the carpet back nicely and was very soft.

One note of caution: it was a little slippery for the initial outing...I may not have gotten all the shampoo out of the fibers.

It also comes in smaller bottles.

Do you think a gallon for the inside of a Bu is too much? :Tease3:

Do you think a gallon for the inside of a Bu is too much? :Tease3:

Only if one accidentally knocks it over in the boat with the lid off while cleaning...not that I've ever done that :Doh::stupid:

Only if one accidentally knocks it over in the boat with the lid off while cleaning...not that I've ever done that :Doh::stupid:

Your carpet must be reallly clean!