Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Help

Ok, so I'm new to the world of inboard ownership. I've been around them for many years, but fortunately (or unfortunately on how you look at it) I haven't done much in the way of maintenance or repair on them.

That being said I was wondering what is needed and involved with changing out a prop? I've heard that you need a "puller" but I'm honestly not sure exactly what that is and where you would need to get one. Help an idiot. Crazy.gif

I've changed out my prop several times and have not needed a puller. There is a locking nut on the end of the propshaft. Once removed, see if you can remove the prop by pulling with alternating pressure (side to side). My props (mailbu and Mastercrafts in the past) have always come off without a puller. If you need one, you can buy one or possibly borrow one from a boat dealer.

These guys are great if you need anything related to props. They will answer most any question.

http://acmemarine.com/index.html

Call Bill at ACME and get a puller with a spare prop if you need one. There's info on this site as well as a couple others on the exact procedure (nothing too taxing). Not having a puller & spare prop is a sure way to ruin a week or so of fun, trust me, unfortunately I know from experience.

Thanks for all the feedback.

We don't have a spare prop but have considered numerous times that it's probably not a good idea to not have one. There is too much stuff to spend money on! Yep...B.O.A.T.

Get a spare prop, it doesn't have to be new, I bought one off GT off this site. Keep your eyes open and you can pick a spare up at a reasonable price.

As a new / inexperienced boater I have noticed that there seems to be alot of useless crap that is marketed toward boaters, some of which I have bought. Having a spare prop, while not cheap, is sound insurance. I just wish I bought it before the "incident".

I replaced a prop on my Echelon on lake Powell one time without a puller. I removed the kotter pin and backed off the nut a couple turns, then put the kotter pin back in. Then I put the boat in revearse and applied all the throttle I could. Then I pulled the kotter pin and removed the nut and the prop just slides right off. Do not back the nut off too much and allow very much slop. It worked great.

I replaced a prop on my Echelon on lake Powell one time without a puller.  I removed the kotter pin and backed off the nut a couple turns, then put the kotter pin back in.  Then I put the boat in revearse and applied all the throttle I could.  Then I pulled the kotter pin and removed the nut and the prop just slides right off.  Do not back the nut off too much and allow very much slop.  It worked great.

I'm impressed... (seriously)

I've also heard of pouring very hot water on the prop, which makes it expand, and pop off without a puller. Supposedly this works like a charm.

Whichever method, make sure sure you just loosen the prop nut, and don't take it all the way off. Usually when the prop breaks free, it comes with force, and if the nut is off the prop will fly off the shaft potentially injuring you, and damaging something.

The puller is a WOM - try a few good taps with a dead blow mallet, or block of wood or something (on the oposite direction to the normal load) and use hot water if necessary...

I have a ACME 381 in perfect condition if you'd like to buy it. I'd part with it for $200 (or make me an offer ;))

The puller is a WOM - try a few good taps with a dead blow mallet, or block of wood or something (on the oposite direction to the normal load) and use hot water if necessary...

I have a ACME 381 in perfect condition if you'd like to buy it.  I'd part with it for $200 (or make me an offer ;))

That's a good deal. The way I went through props this year I should buy it. :lol:

I have a ACME 381 in perfect condition if you'd like to buy it.  I'd part with it for $200 (or make me an offer ;))

That's a good deal. The way I went through props this year I should buy it. :lol:

Yea - but David, I want it to go to a good home. One where it will be cared for and not beat on rocks Tongue.gif

Yea - but David, I want it to go to a good home. One where it will be cared for and not beat on rocks Tongue.gif

Hey, how else was I going to get to go out in a way cool LSV? Yahoo.gif

Several Prop items from our Buds at SkiDim.com

Bart's

CP Performance

OJ & Acme Puller Kits

OJ Prop Kit

Acme Weekend saver. Wakeside has them too but no picture.

Just google "Prop Puller" and check out the results.

My experience with the kits is the OJ is a nicer kit because of the hard case and a little (IMO) better puller. It also hase a nice billet, anodized prop wrench.

The Acme Weekend Saver is a nice kit but it has a nylon case. You also get a "Decent" adjustable wrench with it. (I'm talking about the kits that hold a prop too) Don't get the Harmonic type puller (again IMO), it comes with the same tools except it has a hammer and the "harmonic" type puller instead of the "C" style. I wouldn't use the harmonic style though. You screw a block of brass, the puller, onto the prop shaft and beat on it with the hammer until the prop pops off. (?) Doesn't sound like that would be good for the other end of the prop shaft.

I do agree with some of the above posts that you might not need the puller sometimes, BUT, sometimes you will. I bent one this summer that sheard the shaft key and it was tough to get off with a "C" style puller. I do recommend a nibral style prop key too instead of a stainless one. I'd rather the key shear than mess up the shaft.

If you keep driving an inboard, you WILL bend a prop and need to replace it or have it repaired. It is much nicer to pull out the spare and keep on playing instead of loading up the boat and heading home for the rest of your weekend or vacation.

I believe the OJ kit is now using a nylon case instead of the hard case. Unfortunately, had to get the OJ kit/puller out a few weeks ago to pull a bent prop. Prop has been repaired and will get tested this weekend.

TR is a few feet lower now that when you were there 'nut.

Thumbs however wasn't at the Rock when his prop got mangled. Good news is that he wasn't driving when it happened. Bad news is that his wife ran over a ski handle in the water and trashed the prop. :D

Fortunately for us, we bent the prop at the end of the day...so we had already gotten a full day of skiing before the "incident" occurred. Unfortunately, we were 9 miles upriver from the ramp and had to idle back. At least, we still had plenty of beverages in the cooler. Yahoo.gif

Props (no pun intended) to Bill Weeks and the folks at Acme. Used the repaired prop this past weekend for the first time....no vibrations at all.

I'll try to post some pics tonight.