Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black Boats

Maddox

So seriously thinking about upgrading to an all black axis and want to know honest opinions on keeping up with it and if you had to do again would you. Current LX stays indoors all winter but sits in the driveway during the summer. How bad will the black take a beating this way? Any input would be great. The wife thinks it's dead sexy but it will be me cleaning it.

So seriously thinking about upgrading to an all black axis and want to know honest opinions on keeping up with it and if you had to do again would you. Current LX stays indoors all winter but sits in the driveway during the summer. How bad will the black take a beating this way? Any input would be great. The wife thinks it's dead sexy but it will be me cleaning it.

The wrap on our AXIS is black and it is not bad to maintain as far as water spots. I wipe it down after each use - the same as my old boat. I keep it in storage year around, so I can't help you there. My only concern would be the rails on top of the hull (not sure what the proper name is for this). If you are sitting in the bow or the wrap around seat and lay your arm on the hull in the summer time, it has to be blazing hot. If we did not get this AXIS we would have got an all black one to match the tow rig.

First I wouldn't store a boat outside unless it was protected. With that said a boat owner I know has a SLXI with a sunbrella cover that was modified to include side panels that attach just under the rubrail to the upper portion of the cover and then connect to the trailer on the lower portion. I'd also get tire covers as the sun will prematrely wear them out.

Yes, the black will give you second degree burns of you are not careful. I kept my boat outdoors for one season and did not notice any fade. I also peeled 2 year old graphics off and there was no fade there either. I havent really had a problem with hard water spots cuz I wipe it down after every use. However, towards the end of the season, some spots started to form on the sides near the transom, nothing major though.

Edited by stroker-ace

The skirting is an interesting idea. He bought it or made it?

He had it made buy the same shop that sold him the cover. I can ask him where that was, not sure when I'll see him but it'll be a couple of weeks or so before I can get some pics.