Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

trouble with engine temp

hi guys,

i have noticed over the last couple outings that the engine temp gose up to about 170 degrees then drops to about 150,

it usually sits on 160 degress, i noticed yesterday when we were out as i took off the engine temp went up to about 170 then droped to 150 as soon as i got to about 15mph, then it would settle on 160

does anyone know whats happening??

Edited by Nicvtx

Hmm, your boat is not very old but I did experience a similar thing with my '93 Echelon LX. I would notice very quick and large temperature swings on my temp gauge. I checked the wiring, strainers, imepller and found nothing. After running the engine and checking the temp with an infrared temperature gun and finding no temperature changes I changed the temperature sending unit. All problems went away and have not come back. I concluded that after 15 years of service the sending unit must have gone bad.

A couple of additional items to check: Impeller, a weak one shows inconsistency, debris in the oil cooler blocking the water flow side. Pull off the water inlet hose to the oil cooler and check for debris. Bad themostats also react like that.

Check for debris that may be blocking water flow from the output of the raw water pump up to the transmission cooler strainer. Take the hose off at both ends and dump it out. Check inside the hose for any rubber pieces from your impeller or seaweed, etc. If you haven't changed your impeller and gasket in a while, I'd do that for sure.

Check for debris that may be blocking water flow from the output of the raw water pump up to the transmission cooler strainer. Take the hose off at both ends and dump it out. Check inside the hose for any rubber pieces from your impeller or seaweed, etc. If you haven't changed your impeller and gasket in a while, I'd do that for sure.

:plus1:

There's a screen on the lower side of the trainy cooler that may have debris clogged in it.

Edited by areamike

so the boat got its 200hr service today, pretty proud of myself 202.8 hrs in 16 months, bayliner i had for 4 years and sold it with 180 hrs.

so i got the boat back and the dealer told me that they couldnt find any problems,but went a head and put in a new thermostat, new impeller, checked everything. so it should be all good. even though the impeller was fine, they thought might as well do it just incase

thanks for the input

so the boat got its 200hr service today, pretty proud of myself 202.8 hrs in 16 months, bayliner i had for 4 years and sold it with 180 hrs.

so i got the boat back and the dealer told me that they couldnt find any problems,but went a head and put in a new thermostat, new impeller, checked everything. so it should be all good. even though the impeller was fine, they thought might as well do it just incase

thanks for the input

You are proud and Im upset. Mine has 200 hours in tree months. My old 2009 VLX was sold after 9 months with 450 hours.

Were you sitting with the engine off?

If you sit for a short time or more the engine heat goes into the cooling water. When you start the temp may show a bit hi but if it comes right back down it is because you are now circulating cool water again. I always shut down between skiers and at start up you will see the temp around 170 as soon as we start up the cooling water drops the temp and the thermostat will stabilize the temp in a very Short time.

And this is what you might find. Grass and impeller pieces.

post-2825-126988020237_thumb.jpg

You are proud and Im upset. Mine has 200 hours in tree months. My old 2009 VLX was sold after 9 months with 450 hours.

45 hours a month??? Is this boat used in a ski school or do you have your own oil refinery?