Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Powder Coating Tower

pablo

I have an 08 ez loader trailer that is showing quite a bit of rust. It is white and I am thinking of having it sand blasted and powder coated black. I can't believe the trailer is only 2 years old with so much rust on it already. Talked to a few people who say the trailer manufactures only put a thin coating on to save on costs. I am thinking of powdercoating the tower black as well. It is currently white like the trailer. Has anyone had any experience with powdercoating their tower and how did it turn out? How hard would it be to remove the tower and bases to be powder coated? I have the XS Illussion tower.

I redid mine last year my Powdercoating shop ruined my tower. There is a filler that they blasted off and proceeded to powdercoat anyway. Love the white tower just didn't want to spend that much. On a side note my racks and cans came out bitchin :thumbup:

Where are you located and what size boat do you have? You might find a local person with a black Illusion XS tower that will swap for your white Illusion XS. If you are near Houston and have a 23 LSV, I would consider swapping towers with you.

-Whoa

I redid mine last year my Powdercoating shop ruined my tower. There is a filler that they blasted off and proceeded to powdercoat anyway. Love the white tower just didn't want to spend that much. On a side note my racks and cans came out bitchin :thumbup:

Crash why did you redo your tower? Was it white before or black?Crash did you powdercoat your cans and racks? I'm a little concerned that the shop might screw up the tower as well. The shop I talked to said about 500 to do the tower!! What did you spend doing the tower and cans if you don't mind me asking? Looks like the trailer will cost me between 850 to 1 k depending on where I go.

Where are you located and what size boat do you have? You might find a local person with a black Illusion XS tower that will swap for your white Illusion XS. If you are near Houston and have a 23 LSV, I would consider swapping towers with you.

-Whoa

That's a good idea. I would but this one is coming off a 247. I don't know if they have a different tower on the 23 and the 247. I'm in Utah

I switched mine form black to white. It was around $1000 with cans and racks. The racks were alot of work taking apart and putting back together but looks great now. If you can find someone to trade with do it its a win win situation :thumbup:

I have an 08 ez loader trailer that is showing quite a bit of rust. It is white and I am thinking of having it sand blasted and powder coated black. I can't believe the trailer is only 2 years old with so much rust on it already. Talked to a few people who say the trailer manufactures only put a thin coating on to save on costs. I am thinking of powdercoating the tower black as well. It is currently white like the trailer. Has anyone had any experience with powdercoating their tower and how did it turn out? How hard would it be to remove the tower and bases to be powder coated? I have the XS Illussion tower.

Are you in a salt or brackish environment? If not, it seems a little strange that you'd see that much rust after only 2 years.

Are you in a salt or brackish environment? If not, it seems a little strange that you'd see that much rust after only 2 years.

It could have to do with being towed down some salted roads a couple months ago but I can't believe It would cause this much rust. It just gives me an excuse to paint it black I guess. I don't really like the white trailer anyway. Kindof looks like a big marshmallow goin down the road with white boat tower and trailer. I think a black tower and trailer will break it up a bit.Bi also like the idea of paintin the cans but I think I would almost rather sell the stock tower speakers I've got and throw on some black wetsounds

The main concern IMO is going to be your wiring. Your tower is pre-wired, so you would have to pull out all your wiring because the powdercoat process requires heat. Besides that, you can rewire it, but its a pain. Next concern, at the bottom of the tower legs (not the bases) often times their not powdercoated, this is so the tower can pivot and the added material would hamper this. The powdercoater would also have to be aware not to powdercoat inside any of the bolt holes, light mounts, rack mounts, ect...

Hope this helps

The main concern IMO is going to be your wiring. Your tower is pre-wired, so you would have to pull out all your wiring because the powdercoat process requires heat. Besides that, you can rewire it, but its a pain. Next concern, at the bottom of the tower legs (not the bases) often times their not powdercoated, this is so the tower can pivot and the added material would hamper this. The powdercoater would also have to be aware not to powdercoat inside any of the bolt holes, light mounts, rack mounts, ect...

Hope this helps

Thanks that is very helpful