Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

vdrive fluid red??

So I am dewinterizing the boat and decided to change all the fluids. I have a 2006 malibu vride. I pull out the owners manual to see what all I need and go to the parts store to get some 15w40 for the oil, dexron III for the trans and some SAE 30 as suggested for the vdrive in the owners manual. When I go to suction the fluid out of the vdrive, I notice a sticker on it that says ATF Fluid only. Hmmmmmm. I pull the fluid out and it is definitely red. Now I am worried. The owners manual says SAE90, Indmar manual says the same thing, but there is a huge sticker saying ATF only on the vdrive itself and red fluid came out. It has been changed before, but not by myself or at least that I can't recall. Anybody elses vdrive use trans fluid? I am scared of what to put back in it.

Thanks

So I am dewinterizing the boat and decided to change all the fluids. I have a 2006 malibu vride. I pull out the owners manual to see what all I need and go to the parts store to get some 15w40 for the oil, dexron III for the trans and some SAE 30 as suggested for the vdrive in the owners manual. When I go to suction the fluid out of the vdrive, I notice a sticker on it that says ATF Fluid only. Hmmmmmm. I pull the fluid out and it is definitely red. Now I am worried. The owners manual says SAE90, Indmar manual says the same thing, but there is a huge sticker saying ATF only on the vdrive itself and red fluid came out. It has been changed before, but not by myself or at least that I can't recall. Anybody elses vdrive use trans fluid? I am scared of what to put back in it.

Thanks

Mine's definitely 30W, it's a 99 though.

You have a v-drive referred to as a Ski-v and not a Walter V-drive. The Ski-v uses Dexron 3 in the shifting section as well as the v-drive section. Fluid from the shifting section does not communicate with the v-drive so they need to be filled/checked separately. I am not sure whuch manual told you to use SAE90 but that isn't in the Indmar manual ... I should know ... I wrote it! Here is a link to the Manual on our website.

"http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/Manual_2003_Presentweb.pdf"

You have a v-drive referred to as a Ski-v and not a Walter V-drive. The Ski-v uses Dexron 3 in the shifting section as well as the v-drive section. Fluid from the shifting section does not communicate with the v-drive so they need to be filled/checked separately. I am not sure whuch manual told you to use SAE90 but that isn't in the Indmar manual ... I should know ... I wrote it! Here is a link to the Manual on our website.

awesome thanks. Truth be told my manual got soaked so I downloaded it from the resources link from here. Thanks for your help. Saved by the bucrew again

Not that you need any more reassurance but yes, both tranny and ski-v vdrive take ATF.