Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Ballast

scott51580

It's great to have MBO back again. I have an 04 wakesetter 23xti that I want to add an additional ballast to the front ski locker. I want to plumb it in with the existing factory front ballast, using the same pumps. What I intend to do for the intake is just tee off of the existing pump going to the new ballast and the front ballast. For the drain I plan to move the existing drain pump, that is plumbed directly out of the front ballast, down by the ballast that I am adding in the ski locker, so that the front ballast drains into the ski locker ballast and then the pump pumps out of the ski locker ballast. The ballast that I am adding is the big bump sack from Get High Sports ( www.thewakestore.com/Get%20High%20Sports%20Fat%20Sacks%20and%20Pumps.htm ). Has any one ever done this before and will it drain correctly, without collapsing the bag ballast first and then loosing suction.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

It works with tanks....I have no clue though for the sacs, theoretically it will, but you may want to use a t on the drain hose and just run one hose to each sac so they both are drained individually.

I'd be concerned about the venting/overflow. What does the new sack do when it is full? I'm trying to visulize what you've got... just think through where the water is flowing

I am afraid that if I tee it off on the drain line that the hard tank will drain first and then begin sucking air through the overflow and the pump will loose its prime. Maybe I just need to suck it up and buy another pump?

[dumb question mode on]

You have a hard ballast tank in the bow, but no ballast in the locker?

You could probably run the drain line from the hard tank to the sack in the locker, and then drain from the sack... (with the hard tank flowing into the sack) That wouldn't give you any control over what was filled, or ability to trim - not sure if there would be enough pressure from the wight of the water in the hard tank to really "fill" the sack - since the hard tank will just overflow once it is full - won't push any water (except gravity) into the locker sack.. Buy 2 new pumps

[Dumb Question Mode off]

If the soft sack is about the hard it will work due to gravity, if not chances are you will have air intake and it won't work well if at all.

I am afraid that if I tee it off on the drain line that the hard tank will drain first and then begin sucking air through the overflow and the pump will loose its prime.  Maybe I just need to suck it up and buy another pump?

I had to put a valve on the drain line to shut the tank off and empty the bag. I actually had to put four valves 2 on the intake and 2 on the drain so you can shut the tank off when filling or emptying the bag.

Mazeing5,

Thats a good idea. I tried it this weekend without the valves and it does not work very well, but what you suggested should fix my problem. Thanks for the info.