Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does this sound right?

ecj

I have been lurking the forum and want to verify some things on a small ballast project, my questions are stupid, but simple. I am only starting out with a 750# in port engine locker of my 99 sunsetter VLX, surfing is the primary reason for this. I already have 2 reversable impeller pumps. I was planning on supplying both from the t handle plug through hull in the v-drive area. I can fill and drain through this same hole? I might put a bag in each locker and use 1 pump per bag but until then I was thinking of running the 2 pumps in parralel to the one bag. I plan on venting but do I understand that if I am draining and filling from the bottom of the bag with impeller pumps that I don't have to?

I also plan on powering the pumps through a relay for the start up spike of the pumps.

Thanks.

martinarcher

Welcome to the crew ejc.

I have a pair of 500lb V-Drive sacs I run in our boat. I didn't bother venting the bags because they are out in the open area of the boat.

Once they are connected up and you have burped the air out of them during the first fill, they are good to go for the day. The water drains out the bottom like you said and they go completely flat on the floor. They fill nicely with no air added to the bag. We typically switch it up during the day between surfing, boarding, slalom, and the occasional new rider that doesn't want ballast so they get quite a bit of fill/drain in a full day. If they are not disconnected I do not have to re-burb them after the first fill. The reason we burb them each day is they are disconnected after every outing so the boat can be packed for the ride home and cleaned at home. They always get air in them when disconnected.

Welcome to the crew ejc.

I have a pair of 500lb V-Drive sacs I run in our boat. I didn't bother venting the bags because they are out in the open area of the boat.

Once they are connected up and you have burped the air out of them during the first fill, they are good to go for the day. The water drains out the bottom like you said and they go completely flat on the floor. They fill nicely with no air added to the bag. We typically switch it up during the day between surfing, boarding, slalom, and the occasional new rider that doesn't want ballast so they get quite a bit of fill/drain in a full day. If they are not disconnected I do not have to re-burb them after the first fill. The reason we burb them each day is they are disconnected after every outing so the boat can be packed for the ride home and cleaned at home. They always get air in them when disconnected.

Thanks for the reply, glad to hear it may be as easy as I thought! The pumps I have are Jabsco 540gph

Another question for the experts, my battery is mounted in a hard case in the back of compartment. The 750# will fill that area. Do I need to relocate battery or would it be okay to let it fill around it?

Thanks again for your help!

Problem I ran in to using the t-handle drain hole was its under the tranny in my LSV.

I tried just a few plumbing variations like a brass elbo and nipple to extend it out from under there but couldn't get enough clearance for a seacock valve.

Ended up easier to use a thru hull with more access.

I still have the elbo and nipple if you find a need.

martinarcher

Problem I ran in to using the t-handle drain hole was its under the tranny in my LSV.

I tried just a few plumbing variations like a brass elbo and nipple to extend it out from under there but couldn't get enough clearance for a seacock valve.

I have two of each as well, but I'm keeping mine! ROFL.gifROFL.gif

Thanks for the input. Looking at it I should have enough room. Very kind of you to offer up your nippples, but you better hang on to them, you never know if you might need them later. :whistle:

What do you think about the battery? It's currently mounted in the compartment I plan to put the 750# in, all the way against the stern bulkhead. Will the bag fill around it or should I relocate?

Thanks again.

martinarcher

Thanks for the input. Looking at it I should have enough room. Very kind of you to offer up your nippples, but you better hang on to them, you never know if you might need them later. :whistle:

What do you think about the battery? It's currently mounted in the compartment I plan to put the 750# in, all the way against the stern bulkhead. Will the bag fill around it or should I relocate?

Thanks again.

:lol:

That's a tough one. I would guess you would be fine and the bag would fill around it, but my bags get pretty hard after they are full of water and the pumps are still running (extra water being pushed out the thru-hull). Personally I wouldn't want the bag laying up against the battery, but it's up to you. The other risk is the battery chaffing the bag over time, but the good ballast bags are made of really tough Valmex material (same stuff white water rafts are made of). Just something to keep in mind.

I thought I had the wiring/switchology figured out but the extra switch I have is only SPST (but with 2 on positions, (on-off-on)). Since the pumps only have 2 wires, (Jabsco 18220-2127), can I reverse polarity with DTDT switches? With a switch like this one My link ?

martinarcher

Here's a little pic of a switch that you can use. The voltage input is connected to the center terminals. If you rock the switch up you get normal polarity. You rock it down, the voltage polarity is flipped and then sent out the top terminals via the criss crossed jumpers.

post-7666-126980918864_thumb.jpg

Here's a little pic of a switch that you can use. The voltage input is connected to the center terminals. If you rock the switch up you get normal polarity. You rock it down, the voltage polarity is flipped and then sent out the top terminals via the criss crossed jumpers.

Thanks for the pic Martinarcher, that makes perfect sense. A cuople of rocker switches it will be.

I would recommend moving the battery. I moved the battery in my '00 VLX before putting in my 750s. You could fit it, but there is not much room on the floor by the 750.