Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

CLEANING RUDDER AND GORILLA FINS

MY RUDDER AND GORILLA FINS ARE OFF GREEN/ BLACK

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS HOW TO CLEAN THEM TO MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE NEW AGAIN?

I USED SOAP AND THAT IS NOT WORK AT ALL.

PLEASE DO TELL.

Edited by soccera185

PLEASE DO TELL.

I have heard Lemon Juice and scrub brush but haven't tried it myself.

They are under the water..........why worry ????

That's what I was thinking.

Try something called Nevr-Dull Wadding Polish. (Correct spelling on "Nevr"). It comes in a silver can and is made for chrome. It will polish most any metal.

That's what I was thinking.

Try something called Nevr-Dull Wadding Polish. (Correct spelling on "Nevr"). It comes in a silver can and is made for chrome. It will polish most any metal.

I have used Nevr-Dull when polishing the exhaust tips on my Corvette and on the stainless grab rails on my Echelon. I have never woried about my rudder, strut or tracking fins. I'm really not sure that they would be easy to polish anyways because the surface is not perfectly smooth.

A wireless would definitely scratch it clean. I don't think I'd do it very often though. You'd eventually thin them a bit.

Maybe try any kind of brass polish & a polisher (like from Harbor Freight).

Use a drill with a wire wheel, it will shine them up like new. I do mine every year, boat need a look good on the trailer or hoist too.

Bingo! I'm doing that too!Plus1.gifPlus1.gif

Lemon Juice and salt! It works, my grandma used to do this on all her brass pots.

Care to elaborate?

Do I lick some salt off the back of my hand, do a shot of tequila, squirt the lemon juice in my mouth, then break out the wire wheel on the cordless drill?

Care to elaborate?

Do I lick some salt off the back of my hand, do a shot of tequila, squirt the lemon juice in my mouth, then break out the wire wheel on the cordless drill?

That's how you clean your own insides!! :thumbup:

Use a drill with a wire wheel, it will shine them up like new. I do mine every year, boat need a look good on the trailer or hoist too.

I can see the next self help thread to be started.

Hi all, how do you get rid of major scratches on the gel coat where the rudder and fins attach to the boat?

A wireless would definitely scratch it clean. I don't think I'd do it very often though. You'd eventually thin them a bit.

Maybe try any kind of brass polish & a polisher (like from Harbor Freight).

I've used the same wire wheel for cleaning the underwater gear for 22 years.

I think you would go through a gross of wire wheels and a couple a drills before you would ever thin the material out.

Brass is going to naturally corrode, does the boat sit in the water all summer long? There are brass conversion coatings you can use to keep them a dark brown look but it doesn't last long. I would use 5% HCL and hydrogen peroxide with water and just use a wash cloth, I wouldn't take a wire brush anywhere near your gelcoat even if it's on the bottom of the boat.

Brass is going to naturally corrode, does the boat sit in the water all summer long? There are brass conversion coatings you can use to keep them a dark brown look but it doesn't last long. I would use 5% HCL and hydrogen peroxide with water and just use a wash cloth, I wouldn't take a wire brush anywhere near your gelcoat even if it's on the bottom of the boat.

I should try the hydrogen peroxide. I use the standard hull cleaner (contains hydrocloric acid) or muratic acid to clean the hull and it turns the brass a weird pinkish color if you get any on it. Inevitably, a few drips get on that gear and it looks crummy. After a couple of days of boating it corrodes back to normal, but in the meantime when you've got the boat all polished up and then look at your rudder with streaks on it, it bugs me.

PLEASE DO TELL.

Muratic acid, slowly & carefully with safety gloves & glasses - on. One wipe and it all comes off. It will eat up - your skin,your nostrals, concrete, clear coat and much more so watch it..

PLEASE DO TELL.

Brite Boy Metal Polish :thumbup:

With a nylon bristle brush, without the worries of using straight acid and ruining your gelcoat, trailer paint, and / or driveway.

EDIT: Turn off your CAPS LOCK. You don't need to yell, we're all sitting right here. :)

Edited by NorCaliBu