Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu History fiberglass stringers / floor

wakeboarder3780

Hey I just wanted to get a history run down (and perhaps this has already been covered). I currently own an 89 Sunsetter and was wondering in what years stringers were no longer wood, and also in what year the floors weren't wood anymore.

Have these new additions solved all the rotting problems?

Have these new additions created any new issues?

Also maybe what years we finally get a buzzer when the temp is high?

I will be upgrading some day and would like to make sure I'm looking at the correct aged craft. Even still, I love my 'bu for now :) If only I had more time I'd fix her up nice and gorgeous.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Malibu started all fiberglass construction in '93 with the Echelon and eventually converted over all models in '95. No rotting problems w/ all fiberglass construction. No issues to speak of w/ the newer construction.

Malibu started all fiberglass construction in '93 with the Echelon and eventually converted over all models in '95. No rotting problems w/ all fiberglass construction. No issues to speak of w/ the newer construction.

Wow talk about your fast responses :) Would you know by chance if there are buzzers on 95s? Mine overheated once because I wasn't watching the gauge close enough and even though it was technically my fault, I was irritated I didn't have a dummy buzzer go off.

Wow talk about your fast responses :) Would you know by chance if there are buzzers on 95s? Mine overheated once because I wasn't watching the gauge close enough and even though it was technically my fault, I was irritated I didn't have a dummy buzzer go off.

I have a 95 sslx with a merc. It has warning chimes, All glass and still looks a performs like brand new.

iirc it takes two sending units to handle the temperature analog display and a warning buzzer.

wag: the sending unit for the buzzer will be a single wire and the unit supporting the analog display will be two wire.

if you have two sending units then i would guess that you have a warning buzzer, too.

if you have a warning buzzer you should be able to test that circuit by grounding the lead at the sending unit.

You can always add a buzzer to yours even if it didn't come with one. Are you having problems with rot?

I would *love* to add a buzzer to mine. And I am seeing some edges of the floorboard start to go in one area by the engine compartment and one of my engine mount bolts turns freely (has stringer rot). Luckily its in the rear and on the downturn of the shaft so technically there is no real torque pulling away from the stringer - it's just driving down onto it.

I didn't have the funds or the time to pull out and replace the stringers, nor will I likely ever. I mixed glass shards in with fiberglass resin and hardener and poured it into the engine mount hole until it filled up and then dropped a new lag bolt in the hole.

Certainly not the most by-the-book fix in the world but I sleep at night just fine and it's ran 2 seasons now just fine like that.

I do plan on buying a newer boat in the future so I never have to worry about the stringer / floor issues again, but in the mean time I may try to figure out how to wire up a buzzer as you suggested.

Edited by wakeboarder3780
  • 4 years later...

Im doing some research on fiberglass repair and thought id add this to this thread, I also have a continuous thread on this site regarding this. Here is my 94 Echelon, water somehow made its way in the hull and compromised the area between the rudder port. The area was still solid, but the top layer of glass was starting to become delaminated. I removed all the glass and as you can see its soaked. water is still draining out a day later, i assume the foam is also wet in areas. I believe the water came in through a bottom bolt. It appeared someone attempted a repair and did not use 5200 for the seal. Its just a though Im not sure. 10850292_772396246148799_82866749115358110848035_773014122753678_538273355630256

@wakeboarder: My '94 has both sensors plumbed in the water circuit (Mercruiser), the "buzzer" does not go off if the boat is actually quite hot, it goes off when there is no water flowing through the system. I am sure a sensor replacement would correct it, but just test the sensor circuit before blindly assuming it works to your expectations. The boat also has an ignition on / not running buzzer which is a nice feature to keep from accidentally draining the battery.

The first mod I did on my 96 was to eliminate the buzzer (very annoying every time you start the boat) and replace it with a high intensity red LED on the dash. Can't miss it and I am preserving my hearing.

• 6 years later...

I have a 1993 Malibu flightcraft sportster. I’m going to have to replace the stringers behind the engine towards the transom because they’re rotted half way down the board.Does anyone know what the transom is made of on that model? Wondering if it’s wood too

@Bperritt01 - Not sure although I don't think the transom has a wood core, typical construction was wood for the longitudinal stringers.  Should be easy to determine by simply measuring the thickness.  Another way to check, remove one of the hardware pieces on the transom and check that way.  Good luck with the fix.  How close are you to the factory, I'll bet if close enough to swing by someone there may be able to answer directly.

1 hour ago, Woodski said:

@Bperritt01 - Not sure although I don't think the transom has a wood core, typical construction was wood for the longitudinal stringers.  Should be easy to determine by simply measuring the thickness.  Another way to check, remove one of the hardware pieces on the transom and check that way.  Good luck with the fix.  How close are you to the factory, I'll bet if close enough to swing by someone there may be able to answer directly.

Would be best for him to call. Plant is still locked to outside visitors.