Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

After 6 years, something had to give. Need info on factory pump

Intense

While riding today, my buddy noticed the bow ballast wasn't filling. When we pulled open the center access, we could feel the fill pump for the center ballast and the drain pump working, but not the bow ballast. I'm guessing it's the pump gone bad and not the wiring since the center fill was working.

My questions are:

-Who makes the ballast pumps for out boats and where could I get a new one?

-I've got a Tsunami 1200 in the garage. But all the reading I've done seems to indicate the threads for the Attwood won't match up to the existing Malibu hardware.

Would be cheaper/easier to just buy a new pump or try to figure out the thread issue and use the Attwood?

One last question, what are the capacities of the ballast on my boat? I know the two rear tanks are 200 lbs each, but I'm not sure about the center tank(s) or the bow tank.

While riding today, my buddy noticed the bow ballast wasn't filling. When we pulled open the center access, we could feel the fill pump for the center ballast and the drain pump working, but not the bow ballast. I'm guessing it's the pump gone bad and not the wiring since the center fill was working.

My questions are:

-I've got a Tsunami 1200 in the garage. But all the reading I've done seems to indicate the threads for the Attwood won't match up to the existing Malibu hardware.

Would be cheaper/easier to just buy a new pump or try to figure out the thread issue and use the Attwood?

One last question, what are the capacities of the ballast on my boat? I know the two rear tanks are 200 lbs each, but I'm not sure about the center tank(s) or the bow tank.

The pirahna pump will work with the stock fittings malibu has. You can find the entire pump or just the motor replacement on this link. Not sure which pump you have in your 04'. You can also get other brands with higher ratings like the Johnson 950 gph which still has 3/4" threads.

http://www.bakesonline.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=525

My questions are:

• Dealers should have the ballast pumps in stock, they are very durable pumps but they are a wear and tear item so they do go bad. Exspecially if something gets inside and jams the pump up.
  • The 1200 Tsunami won't fit, 1-1/8 inch thread and hose, not worth reducing to 3/4 because you won't get the volume of water that you want.
  • Yes it would be cheaper and easier to replace what you have
  • Center ballast 500lbs front 250lbs (wedge 1,000 Power wedge 1,200lbs)

Hope this info helps!

Thanks 06...

Does anyone know if these are the OEM replacements for my 04?

http://livebaitlarry...index&cPath=106

Thanks 06...

Does anyone know if these are the OEM replacements for my 04?

http://livebaitlarry...index&cPath=106

The blue and white shurflo pump should be OEM for your 2004. 2003 was the last year for the red and white attwood pumps.

The two different pumps are easy to identify by color.

-Paul

My '04 had the red/white pumps in it but it was one of the first '04's built that year. I did lose a couple over the time I had it. The pumps Malibu uses now will work as replacements. Bakes or your local dealer should be able to hook you up.

The blue and white shurflo pump should be OEM for your 2004. 2003 was the last year for the red and white attwood pumps.

The two different pumps are easy to identify by color.

-Paul

I'm fairly certain my pumps are blue/white. But I'll confirm this afternoon.

I'm hoping I can just replace the cartridge with the one in the Bakes link.

So, can anyone tell me how big the tanks are on my boat?

Edited by Intense

I'm fairly certain my pumps are blue/white. But I'll confirm this afternoon.

I'm hoping I can just replace the cartridge with the one in the Bakes link.

So, can anyone tell me how big the tanks are on my boat?

Bow 300, midship 500, rears 200.

thanks dude...you been out on Norman yet?

No, dealer is still working on my laundry list of warranty repairs before it expires next month :cry: Then I need to replace my master cylinder on the trailer and install my Flyhighs vdrive sacs. Hope to get out next weekend. How about you on Wylie?

No, dealer is still working on my laundry list of warranty repairs before it expires next month :cry: Then I need to replace my master cylinder on the trailer and install my Flyhighs vdrive sacs. Hope to get out next weekend. How about you on Wylie?

Definitely get those done while you have a warranty! Sounds like you've got quite a bit of work to go before you're on the water. I'd be interested to see how the vdrive sacs plumb in as that's a long term goal for me, as well.

Been out a couple times already. Water is COLD! But it's still good to get out.