Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Snow and Water in one day

obski

For years I have been wanting to combine a day with both snow skiing and wakeboarding in the same day. That day finally came today. :yahoo:

My daughter and I headed up to the mountain in the morning and had an epic day of spring skiing in the sun with no wind. We were on the chairs at the open at 9am and skied nonstop until 2pm when our thighs were shaking and the snow was finally turning to slush on the lower part of the mountain. There were absolutely no lift lines and we spent most of our time in the off piste areas. For those of you familiar with Mt. Hood Meadows, we were mostly in Heather Canyon and Jack's Woods. It was a sunscreen day.

While we were heading down the mountain and noticed that the temp was in the upper 60's and still sunny, we texted my son who had been doing some bike rides as part of triathlon training and asked him if he wanted to get in some wakeboarding after we got back. He texted right back, 'absolutely'. So after we unloaded the ski gear, we hooked up the boat and headed down to the river. We then experienced an epic time on the water as well, with the temp around 69F air and 58F water, and hardly a ripple anywhere to be seen. We had the entire stretch of river to ourselves and we made the most of it.

OK. I can check that one off of the list. :clap:

MalibuNation

I'm jealous ... hopefully you had your sun screen on.

I've pretty much checked everything off my list ... except parasailing (sp) and bungy jumping. I scuba ... I parachute.

One of the guys in our crew did the same thing a few weeks back.....awesome accomplishment. I would have done it as well that day, but I was skiing in Florida at the time.

I try to do that at least once a year but I'm running out of the white stuff, better get on it.

Nice Work! (I love Meadows by the way)

One of the guys in our crew did the same thing a few weeks back.....awesome accomplishment. I would have done it as well that day, but I was skiing in Florida at the time.

I would assume that was on the water and not in the snow. I know they've had an unusually cold winter in Florida, but...

I'm jealous ... hopefully you had your sun screen on.

I've pretty much checked everything off my list ... except parasailing (sp) and bungy jumping. I scuba ... I parachute.

You need to get on the bungy thing. It's much more terrifying than jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. Do it from the highest thing you can, when you're standing on the ledge, you'll know what I mean by terrifying.

MalibuNation

You need to get on the bungy thing. It's much more terrifying than jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. Do it from the highest thing you can, when you're standing on the ledge, you'll know what I mean by terrifying.

Pete, I'm hoping to do it over deep water where I'd feel safer. Maybe that's cheating, I don't know :-)

I figure if the band breaks I still have a fighting chance to live. Not sure what it would be like trying to swim with that band tied to my feet ... rubber floats right? I've checked and there's places in MS that are still doing it.

Edited by MalibuNation

Pete, I'm hoping to do it over deep water where I'd feel safer. Maybe that's cheating, I don't know :-)

I figure if the band breaks I still have a fighting chance to live. Not sure what it would be like trying to swim with that band tied to my feet ... rubber floats right? I've checked and there's places in MS that are still doing it.

????? Even if you did survive the impact you'd be so busted up and tangled in the rope that you'd no doubt drown. That's 90 seconds of pure terror. I'd take a quick face plant into mother earth over that any day.

Just giving you a hard time. I actually agree with your thought process about the water, even though I know it is wrong. I did my first bungee jump over water (in Mexico at that??). I agree with Pete, bungee jumping is FAR more terrifying than sky diving, but well worth it! If/when you do it make sure you go with the ankle harness. It's so much cooler! :rockon:

We are heading back up for some more skiing today, but there will be no wakeboarding later. The weather took a big turn after that awesome day 2 days ago, which on the positive side, has translated into a foot of new powder up on the mountain. :rockon:

Back in 71 I did the same thing Skied Mt Hood in the day and went to the coast and surfed. Well I don't surf very well so most people would say I played in the surf. :lol:

The intent was to do the same ski and play in the surf all in one day.

As a joke, you could always wear a life jacket just in case but I don't think I could get myself to bungy jump unless I had some friends along to do it with me ;)

For years I have been wanting to combine a day with both snow skiing and wakeboarding in the same day. That day finally came today. :yahoo:

My daughter and I headed up to the mountain in the morning and had an epic day of spring skiing in the sun with no wind. We were on the chairs at the open at 9am and skied nonstop until 2pm when our thighs were shaking and the snow was finally turning to slush on the lower part of the mountain. There were absolutely no lift lines and we spent most of our time in the off piste areas. For those of you familiar with Mt. Hood Meadows, we were mostly in Heather Canyon and Jack's Woods. It was a sunscreen day.

While we were heading down the mountain and noticed that the temp was in the upper 60's and still sunny, we texted my son who had been doing some bike rides as part of triathlon training and asked him if he wanted to get in some wakeboarding after we got back. He texted right back, 'absolutely'. So after we unloaded the ski gear, we hooked up the boat and headed down to the river. We then experienced an epic time on the water as well, with the temp around 69F air and 58F water, and hardly a ripple anywhere to be seen. We had the entire stretch of river to ourselves and we made the most of it.

OK. I can check that one off of the list. :clap:

Pretty cool story and sounds like an eventful day :thumbup:

Yeah I'm doing the same thing, well almost; ski in the morning and hot tub in the afternoon. Still have ice on the lake and a foot of snow in the back yard. :cry:

Excuse me while I go wax my boat.

Edited by Kingfish

Our annual "Surf to Summit" is planned for April... we start on the Washington coast and surf in the morning (BRRRR!), then board on lake Sammamish in the afternoon, then we hit up a little night skiing on the pass. Truely a great day.

Our annual "Surf to Summit" is planned for April... we start on the Washington coast and surf in the morning (BRRRR!), then board on lake Sammamish in the afternoon, then we hit up a little night skiing on the pass. Truely a great day.

That is awesome. I don't think I will ever do that. I have surfed a few times, but always in the nice warm waters of Hawaii.

Post up some pictures of your trip this year.

I did back to back days last April. I snow skied one day then water skied the next three in a row. We had to drive 4 hours north of where I live to get to the snow so there was no same day opportunity.