Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust Manifold Leak!!!

Not shure what to do! I have a crack in my exhaust manifold I took it off so i could put the new one on and i noticed a little bit of water on the inside of the eaxhaust manifold. How do i find out if water got into my engine? Or is it ok if a little bit got in there? I was on the water with the engine running when i noticed the crack I took it straight to the ramp and took it off the water! Any suggestions??

Fastest way to check is pull the oil dipstick... if there is any water in the oil it will have a milky or slight gray look to it. This will not confirm that a small amount of water could have possibly got in the exhaust valve though. Your odds are pretty good of not having any problems if the water in the manifold was minimal and only at the very bottom of it. If you see any signs of water entering an exhaust port I would have the head pulled right away. Hope this helps... :unsure:

Not shure what to do! I have a crack in my exhaust manifold I took it off so i could put the new one on and i noticed a little bit of water on the inside of the exhaust manifold. How do i find out if water got into my engine? Or is it ok if a little bit got in there? I was on the water with the engine running when i noticed the crack I took it straight to the ramp and took it off the water! Any suggestions??

A external crack wouldn't allow water into the engine, a internal crack could allow water into the cylinders. Easiest fix? Pull your spark plugs, disconnect your primary coil plug on the distributor and roll your motor over. It will push out any water in the cylinders avoid valve damage or hydraulicing your motor. My guess is if you drove it the trailer after the leak, your fine. You would have known if you had water in the cylinders.

Now for a cracked engine block, thats a different issue all together. If you have milky oil inside the engine, it's time for a new motor.

Did you not winterize your engine this winter?

-Paul

Not shure what to do! I have a crack in my exhaust manifold I took it off so i could put the new one on and i noticed a little bit of water on the inside of the eaxhaust manifold. How do i find out if water got into my engine? Or is it ok if a little bit got in there? I was on the water with the engine running when i noticed the crack I took it straight to the ramp and took it off the water! Any suggestions??

If it was running ok when you shut it down you are OK but you have to wonder what caused the crack, if you didn't winterize properly, you may want to check your block as well. Replace both manifolds. Mine rusted thru and I paid dearly for the neglect.

I would suggest a leak down and compression test as well. With the exhaust manifold off you should look down the exhaust port and look for evidence of water (waterspots, rust, etc.). A significant amount of water in to the ports would end up causing hydrolock.

A external crack wouldn't allow water into the engine, a internal crack could allow water into the cylinders. Easiest fix? Pull your spark plugs, disconnect your primary coil plug on the distributor and roll your motor over. It will push out any water in the cylinders avoid valve damage or hydraulicing your motor. My guess is if you drove it the trailer after the leak, your fine. You would have known if you had water in the cylinders.

Now for a cracked engine block, thats a different issue all together. If you have milky oil inside the engine, it's time for a new motor.

Did you not winterize your engine this winter?

-Paul

It is worth doing exactly as Paul described even if you drove it onto the trailer. Understand that if you crank the engine over when the cylinders are full of water you can kiss the engine good by.

What I think COULD happen is that the manifold can slowly drain into the cyl. via the internal crack when engine is off, but exhaust pressure can keep the water out while running. Probably unlikely, but worth the extra 10 minutes of work.

Edited by Ruffdog

OK good news oil looks great and there is no sighn of rust or water in the exhaust ports. Got the new one on order from TSR hopefully it comes in before this weekend. Thanks guys for the Help.