Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Feedback on LF Lyman / Watson boards

bennekm

Anyone riding a '09 Liquid Force Lyman or Watson board? I'm looking to get a new board (Currently have a LF Litmus). I'm really only an intermediate rider...in my mid 30's and don't do anything too crazy but I'd like to get better. Any thoughts/recommendations?

I have not ridden the Watson, but my daughter has and really liked it because of the huge air she got on it. She felt like it was somewhat unpredictable though and ended up going with the LF Melissa board.

I demoed the Lyman and thought it was a rocket ship. It was a blast to be on, but I thought a little bit too much board for me. It was way fun, but I was afraid that I was going to end up hurting myself on it. I ended up getting a Slingshot Recoil and have absolutely loved that board.

I have not ridden the Watson, but my daughter has and really liked it because of the huge air she got on it. She felt like it was somewhat unpredictable though and ended up going with the LF Melissa board.

I demoed the Lyman and thought it was a rocket ship. It was a blast to be on, but I thought a little bit too much board for me. It was way fun, but I was afraid that I was going to end up hurting myself on it. I ended up getting a Slingshot Recoil and have absolutely loved that board.

Looking to get my first board and have been surfing :whistle: these threads and have to ask...

What makes a board slow or fast? My assumption was that the wake dictated the speed, but obviously that's not right.

Anyone riding a '09 Liquid Force Lyman or Watson board? I'm looking to get a new board (Currently have a LF Litmus). I'm really only an intermediate rider...in my mid 30's and don't do anything too crazy but I'd like to get better. Any thoughts/recommendations?

I'm riding the '09 Watson F.L.Y. board and really like it. I had a 2007 Shane prior to that. I ridden the Witness, but thought it was slow, but others say it's fast. So who knows? As an intermediate rider I dont think you can go wrong with the Lyman, Watson, Witness, Shane or S4. All are great boards and you should get a board that wont hold you back progression-wise.

Unfortunately, there are no shops around here that let you demo boards. Whenever I get a chance, I try someone else's board.

Looking to get my first board and have been surfing :whistle: these threads and have to ask...

What makes a board slow or fast? My assumption was that the wake dictated the speed, but obviously that's not right.

One way to determine slow/fast is to let the boat whip you around, let go, stand even and coast. The sooner the board starts to sink, the slower it is.

keeowee,

labeling a board as fast or slow is a common misnomer..

If the boat is pulling you at 23 mph, thats how "fast" the board will be going. However, 3 stage boards tend to be called "slow" because they sit lower in the water due to their shape and as a result... they have more drag. Continuous boards on the other hand sit a tad higher in the water and as a result have less drag and seem "fast"

Then of course you have blended rockers and hybrids that combine the smoothness of a continuous with the pop of a 3stage.

So if someone says a board is slow it likely has a lot of drag and only feels slow or sluggish

I have the '08 Lyman and love it. I have bad knees, ankles and back. It lands so soft and has pretty good pop. As far the speed goes, I would rate it better than average. It's not as slow as the One board but not as fast as the Covin/Viva boards by Ronix. I've ridden many boards, just not other LF. I would recommend this board to anyone.

keeowee,

If the boat is pulling you at 23 mph, thats how "fast" the board will be going. However, 3 stage boards tend to be called "slow" because they sit lower in the water due to their shape and as a result... they have more drag. Continuous boards on the other hand sit a tad higher in the water and as a result have less drag and seem "fast"

Then of course you have blended rockers and hybrids that combine the smoothness of a continuous with the pop of a 3stage.

So if someone says a board is slow it likely has a lot of drag and only feels slow or sluggish

Thanks Blindside...

Brad

I ride an 09 witness 144....and it is pretty good. have demo'd alot of boards and I it seems to have great pop compared to the ones I tried.

I have the '08 Lyman and love it. I have bad knees, ankles and back. It lands so soft and has pretty good pop. As far the speed goes, I would rate it better than average. It's not as slow as the One board but not as fast as the Covin/Viva boards by Ronix. I've ridden many boards, just not other LF. I would recommend this board to anyone.

I would agree that the Lyman has pretty soft landings. Definitely softer than my previous board, but after demoing a number of boards, one of the big reasons I went with the Slingshot Recoil was that the landings were by far the softest.

keeowee,

Umm... not exactly. That means you're moving FORWARD at no more than 23mph. You can certainly achieve much greater speed ACROSS the wake.

I have both a Watson and a Lyman - I actually like the Watson better because I found the Lyman to accelerate into the wake a little too fast and I couldn't quite get used to the speed. I kept taking things into the flats (which my knees just can't handle more than a few times). I'm going to give the Lyman another try and see if I can just dial down my cut - but it's definitely a soft-landing board. The Watson is another great option that seems to be a generally good 'all around' board.

Edited by BigGator

i have a lyman now, best board i have ever ridden. i came from an obrien player 07, 08 limited edition shane but the lyman doesnt even come close to the shane. softest landings ever, heaps of pop and very good edging.

before i got my lyman i felt as though i was in a rut, ii couldnt land anything, no even getting much hang time. then i rode the lyman and was going huge, i had to adjust my bindings a lil closer together, cause it felt better for this board.

best board liquid force has IMHO