Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need your help with floating wedge

rugger

I'm making a floating wedge... just about done and need to add the bolts/stop that keep the wedge from swinging all the way down into the prop. I'm trying to recall how far down it should extend.

Does anyone know what the max angle is of the foil where it stops? Not sure if there is a preferred max angle, or if the stops just keep the foil from physically hitting the prop.

I'd run by a dealer... but they seem to have dried up around me. Anyone have a minute to give me the placement of the stops in relation to the bottom of bracket (how high up and out is the center of the bolt from the transom bracket) and/or the max angle of the foil? Pretty please?

Are you making the wedge or the bracket? Or both?

Here are some pictures of mine. The center of the bolt is 1 13/16 inch out from the boat and 1 5/16 inch up from the bottom of the bracket. Note the bottom of the bracket is rounded. The 1 13/16 inch measure going out from the boat is from the fiberglass on the boat, not the metal bracket. See the other holes by the bolts...I am not sure what they are for, but my guess is you could put the bolts there. Measurements to the center of those holes are 2 3/16 out from the boat and 1/2 inch up from the bottom

post-11544-12693930411_thumb.jpg

Thank you. I made both the wedge and bracket to be a little more custom for my boat. I actually drew up the plans last year and bought the SS, but then set it on the shelf only to collect dust. Decided I'd finish it up now before the season gets going. Drilled and welded it on Saturday, but couldn't recall how far down the actual wedge was supposed to swing down, or what the max angle of the foil should be. Your measurements of the real thing will be helpful. Thank you again for your time.

Also, the holes on the bracket where you put the bolts to secure the wedge to the bracket are threaded.

Cool. I did see that, but I set up mine a little different. It's designed for a classic sunsetter with a modified transom --which means that it required a different (slightly narrower and angled) bracket design and I used a straight bar for the wedge to hang/float/turn on. Thanks again for your measurements. I think I'll mount it up first and see how it lines up before drilling those stops.