Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

programming mux switch

malibu

i have read it on here before,but can,t find it again. i added tower lights and wired them up . now how do i put them on my mux switch. its on 08 vtx thanks for the help.

i have read it on here before,but can,t find it again. i added tower lights and wired them up . now how do i put them on my mux switch. its on 08 vtx thanks for the help.

Are you sure that the switch isn't already programmed in? I thought the tower light switch was already programmed from the factory.

If not here are the instructions I posted. Click on the pdf document I attached in post #7 of this thread.

Here's a question along these lines. I didn't order a head unit on the new boat. I have two or three open spaces on the mux screen. I am going to feed all my music through a Audio Control Three.1 from a iPhone/iPod. Is it possible to program one of the switches to turn on the trigger wire to the Three.1/Amps? Where do I pick up the 12v switched wire from?

Next question. If the stereo is switched from the Mux switch, will the stereo cut off when the Mux panel times out, meaning I'll have to keep the key in the assy position?

I beleive on my 09 the switches are ready to go and there is even the wiring in the tower? Just have to add some lights, plug in and go.

I beleive on my 09 the switches are ready to go and there is even the wiring in the tower? Just have to add some lights, plug in and go.

Not so fast! If your 09 is anything like the 08, then you have wiring, may have tower lights on the mux or have to program them on, but you will need to connect the control wire for the mux swjtch that sticks out of the wire loom under the dash to your relay (a relay is required because you cannot run that much current through the mux switch), which will carry all of the current to the lights and do the actual switching work. The mux lead is negative switched, meaning the hot side goes to the relay (for switching control, not for circuit switching of the main lights) and the mux switch completes the ground in order to trip the relay and switch the lights on.

OK, I know that is kind of a muddled paragraph, but if you search LPA tower lights you should find some detailed instructions on the install and wiring to the mux. There are also mux programming instructions on a pdf floating around( :Doh: I see 06 posted them up).

malibu, the above applies to your situation also, when you say you've got them wired up you should have a relay doing the heavy work.

Edited by MalibuTime

Here's a question along these lines. I didn't order a head unit on the new boat. I have two or three open spaces on the mux screen. I am going to feed all my music through a Audio Control Three.1 from a iPhone/iPod. Is it possible to program one of the switches to turn on the trigger wire to the Three.1/Amps? Where do I pick up the 12v switched wire from?

Next question. If the stereo is switched from the Mux switch, will the stereo cut off when the Mux panel times out, meaning I'll have to keep the key in the assy position?

For some reason I seem to remember that the newer muxs will have terminals directly behind each switch , BICBW. Take a look behind your switches and see if it's obvious. If not, and the lead is negative ground switched like the 08 tower lights then I am racking my brain a bit but it seems like you might need a very low voltage relay to be able to switch the remote on (which is looking for 12v+) with a negative ground switch which is what the mux is? In other words reversing the switching from negative to positive via the relay. Anyhow, if it was my boat, I would check with my dealer before I started hooking juice up to my mux.

There is only one plug into the back of the Mux panel. There are a couple of plugs above it not connected to anything. I'm thinking that I will just switch the signal wire externally of the Mux/Maliview so there will not be any reason for the key to be on or the Mux panel energized to listen to the stereo while the engine isn't running. I have made a panel for the Three.1 and I can put in a rocker switch there easily enough.

thanks 06vlx i did wire neg. switch and the power to a relay. but my left bank mux is full and on the other side has spots open next to the ballast tank switch but. it has docking lights but no tower lights programmed in. i was going to change that to tower lights.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to move my transom light off the interior light circuit and onto its own circuit. I have read how to activate an "AUX" on the MUX switches but I dont see where the aux wiring is located. Presumably if there is an AUX switch then there must be some wires somewhere that I can connect to a relay. Does anyone know where these are or if this is even possible? I guess my other option is to by the old style rocker switch and use that.

There is only one plug into the back of the Mux panel. There are a couple of plugs above it not connected to anything. I'm thinking that I will just switch the signal wire externally of the Mux/Maliview so there will not be any reason for the key to be on or the Mux panel energized to listen to the stereo while the engine isn't running. I have made a panel for the Three.1 and I can put in a rocker switch there easily enough.

Under the dash there is a panel labelled "Medallion". Pull off the cover and you will expose all the wiring for the MUX switches. Each one has its own fuse, name and numbers. Should be pretty simple to wire it in.

I want to move my transom light off the interior light circuit and onto its own circuit. I have read how to activate an "AUX" on the MUX switches but I dont see where the aux wiring is located. Presumably if there is an AUX switch then there must be some wires somewhere that I can connect to a relay. Does anyone know where these are or if this is even possible? I guess my other option is to by the old style rocker switch and use that.

Only the 09'+ model year boats have the option to add an Aux output on the Medallion box.

I vaguely remember someone posted a picture of the open slot on the medallion box. Anybody know what thread that was in?

I vaguely remember someone posted a picture of the open slot on the medallion box. Anybody know what thread that was in?

I don't know who that guy was but check post #71 in this thread.

Got an 09 Wakesetter. Had zero open spots in the "medallion" box. I like their functionality, but really, what would it cost to have a few more open spots you could control?

Got an 09 Wakesetter. Had zero open spots in the "medallion" box. I like their functionality, but really, what would it cost to have a few more open spots you could control?

It should have 1 spot open on it. It will be the bare clip without a wire attached to it and no fuse. If you look up it will be all the way to the left. If you don't have it you must have got an 08' medallion box.

• 2 months later...

Not so fast! If your 09 is anything like the 08, then you have wiring, may have tower lights on the mux or have to program them on, but you will need to connect the control wire for the mux swjtch that sticks out of the wire loom under the dash to your relay (a relay is required because you cannot run that much current through the mux switch), which will carry all of the current to the lights and do the actual switching work. The mux lead is negative switched, meaning the hot side goes to the relay (for switching control, not for circuit switching of the main lights) and the mux switch completes the ground in order to trip the relay and switch the lights on.

OK, I know that is kind of a muddled paragraph, but if you search LPA tower lights you should find some detailed instructions on the install and wiring to the mux. There are also mux programming instructions on a pdf floating around( :Doh: I see 06 posted them up).

malibu, the above applies to your situation also, when you say you've got them wired up you should have a relay doing the heavy work.

Will this relay do the trick?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=330-070&source=googleps

I have the pdf schematics that was posted for an 08 vlx is that what I should go from? My mux gauages already have an option for tower lights so all I need to do is get them wired in.