Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help moving in to your new boat

cmcgee82

Took the new boat out this weekend for the first time. throughout the day i would realize things that i forgot or need for next time. I will add that i was boating leagally per life preservers and so on. So i guess what i want to know is what stays on your boat at all times or what do you never leave home without when going out for the day on your boat. Thanks in Advance!

martinarcher

Here's a good gear list to go through....

http://www.themalibu...icles/gear_list

There was a thread on this, but I can't find it for the life of me with the boards search. I found a link to it that's broken if that counts. Unsure.gif

For the boat - head to Walmart and buy yourself a couple synthetic chamois called "The Absorber". They are an absolute must have for a boat owner. Makes wiping the boat down after pulling out a breeze.

Edited by martinarcher

I always make sure I have a tow vehicle with me :biggrin: This list could get long, I don't know where to start!!

I will be sure to write that down :werule:

I always make sure I have a tow vehicle with me Biggrin.gif This list could get long, I don't know where to start!!

Don't for get the trailer!!!

Serious reply this time,

These are always on the boat

Spare key to boat and Surburban!

Sun screen,

ropes,

ancher

docking lines

some skies (the cheep ones) Good ones stay in the garage and get loaded each trip.

Emergency tool kit, ( includes impeller)

Spair prop and prop kit are in the Surburban!!

Music we make new CD's each season as they don't last very lont in the heat

Advill!!!!

First aid kit is inthe Surburban

Spair tire would be a good idea if towing a long way

predeparture items

towels (couple of dry ones in the Surburban)

Blanket even when it is hot

Snacks, drinks (see earlier poll on "how much do you drink")

Cell Phone

Camera

Video(sp) camera

Kids

Some extra kids

adults that act like kids (me)

I am sure there are some things on there that I have forgotten about.

Here's a good gear list to go through....

http://www.themalibu...icles/gear_list

There was a thread on this, but I can't find it for the life of me with the boards search. I found a link to it that's broken if that counts. Unsure.gif

For the boat - head to Walmart and buy yourself a couple synthetic chamois called "The Absorber". They are an absolute must have for a boat owner. Makes wiping the boat down after pulling out a breeze.

The link to the discussion thread is at the bottom of the article.

Seriously, that article has just about anything that you can think of to stow in your boat or tow rig.

Once you have you list made out put it somewhere where you can review it just before leaving the house. Until I had a printed checklist I was forgetting something on each outing. It got annoying enough I finely made the list.

Our list (keeping in mind we have 4 kids):

Wake board

Knee board

Skis

Ropes

Gloves

Life jackets

Tubes

Sunglasses

Glasses straps

Beach toys

Towels

Suntan Lotion

Flip flops

Water shoes

Goggles

Hats

Noodles

Umbrella

GPS

Cell phone

Parking/ramp pass

Change of clothes

Ice

Paper towels

Trash bag

Boat keys

Cover-ups

Lunch

Munches

Ice

Water bottles

Salt & pepper

Utensils/Knife

Boat keys. I have a spare on my truck key ring, plus a spare hidden in the boat. Just in case.

The stereo faceplate. Otherwise your singin to entertain everyone.

I second the spare boat keys. Nothing worse than driving all the way to the lake and not having the darn keys. I just did this and it sucked.

I second the spare boat keys. Nothing worse than driving all the way to the lake and not having the darn keys. I just did this and it sucked.

This has a way of ruining a good day!! Cry.gif

A small first aid kit or at least a plastic zip lock baggie filled with Band-Aids. Someone always seems to cut themselves or gets a small boo boo.

I have some cash stashed in the glove box, $40-$50. Learned the hard way at Powell that the wallet doesn't always make it to the boat. Thankfully I was with an insurance sales man who shifted in to sales mode and talked the marina into putting it on the houseboat tab (always know the houseboat number and the name on the reservation) :).

Spare flip-flops you really feel WT walking into wally world shoeless to buy a pair.... Whistling.gif

That would have been funny...

I was driving to a camping trip when I realized I forgot slaps... Luckily, I remembered that there was outlets in Tracy and found a Vans store for a spare pair. :thumbup: Still sucked that I didn't have my Reefs....

Rather than list things to bring...I will list things that I have forgotten......

My BIMINI...(it was 110 degrees that day.....sucked real bad)

Ipod (no CD's on boat...that sucked real bad)

Towels and or spray to clean boat (you guessed it.....sucked real bad)

My girlfriend (forgot to call her until at the dock.....didnt suck too bad but she was pissed!)

I've never forgotten anything because I have a list that I literally check off starting the week before I'm going anywhere.

Anybody wanna see it?

I've never forgotten anything because I have a list that I literally check off starting the week before I'm going anywhere.

Anybody wanna see it?

:yes::yes::yes:

Edited by RedOwl

I forgot the guide poles once...will NEVER do that again! My wife & I and another couple went for a dinner cruise last August. We were all in shorts, shoes, sweatshirts, etc...basically not planning on getting wet. No one in the group can drive a boat or back down a trailer so I was doing it all and everything was going well until I had the trailer in the water, I was approaching with the boat, and I realized the guide poles weren't on! To make it worse I was on a river with a current.

I had to pull the trailer out a ways and then just nose the boat up on it to hold it in place. Then I jumped in the water (neck deep) and held the transom while I talked my friend through (SLOWLY) backing the boat in bit by bit. Once I trailer deep enough to hook the bow line up it almost all the way up, I had him hook the tow strap and (SLOWLY) inch the car forward. As he was pulling forward I was standing in the water trying to keep the boat centered. It all worked out good, but I won't ever make that mistake again!

Besides all the legal stuff I try to always have.

1. sun screen

2. spare truck keys in the boat

3. spare boat keys in the truck

4. Tool kit/bag

5. jumper cables

6. first aid kit

7. stereo face plate

8. iPod

9. Mask/snorkal

10. Knife

11. Ropes

12. Bumpers

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Ok guys,

Here's my "Pistol Pete" list.

You gotta realize three things...

1) I have to drive a min. of 2 hrs. (one way) just to get to my closest lake. Usually, I drive 4 hrs. to my most popular lake. Once in awhile I'll drive 6 hrs. to get to my favorite lake. So, if anything goes wrong or, I forget something, there's no going back. And, usually I'm camping for 2 nights.

2) A lot of the lingo on the list you won't understand because it's proprietary or specific to me.

3) I have 3 large rolling plastic containers in my garage that have all the "necessary" stuff like, anchor, ropes, bumpers, spare prop, towels and cleaners. This list is just the "loose" stuff I have to gather up. Feel free to edit it to your needs and keep it.

CAMPING and BOARDING.doc