Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spring start

Hooked up the fake a lake with good hose pressure and started it but no water flow. Pulled impeller and found one partial fin missing. Found the piece in the source hose so that made me happy. My question is why no water circ?? Do I have to fill both hoses in and out of pump first??? It started last spring without a problem...hose pressure and seal was good, but hardly any water would reach the pump. Any ideas?? or is this because I was too lazy to pull impeller in the fall :unsure: ( all of 5 mins ).

Dave

Pull the impeller, find the pieces and replace both the impeller and gasket. My bet is that both the impeller and gasket failed. With out a good seal it will only suck air.

Make sure the fake a lake is firmly against the hull.

Also sometimes it takes a quick bump in revs (~1200 RPM for just a second) to get the pump to prime.

-Chris

Should also check the inlet / outlet hoses from/to the pump for impeller debris. I watched my dealer do it on my last service and it was almost clogged.

martinarcher

Make sure the fake a lake is firmly against the hull.

Also sometimes it takes a quick bump in revs (~1200 RPM for just a second) to get the pump to prime.

-Chris

Right on. Every spring, after the impeller and inlet hose has been dry all winter it will take a bit of throttle to create a good vacuum to draw water. My first spring with the Bu, I was a bit puzzled and ended up pulling the impeller inlet hose and filling it with water and wetting the impeller to get it to prime. That works too, but is a bit of a pain compared to a quick rev.

Edited by martinarcher

Right on. Every spring, after the impeller and inlet hose has been dry all winter it will take a bit of throttle to create a good vacuum to draw water. My first spring with the Bu, I was a bit puzzled and ended up pulling the impeller inlet hose and filling it with water and wetting the impeller to get it to prime. That works too, but is a bit of a pain compared to a quick rev.

Water won't flow out of the exaust until it warms up and the T stat opens up, it usually takes about a minute.

Water won't flow out of the exaust until it warms up and the T stat opens up, it usually takes about a minute.

I don't want to nitpick, but I disagree. The water won't circulate through the block until the t-stat opens, but you should see water coming out of the exhaust as soon as the exhaust manifolds fill up. If you don't see water spitting out of the exhaust after 10 to 15 seconds, shut her down and find out why water isn't circulating. Run it any longer than that and you risk burning up the impeller.

I don't want to nitpick, but I disagree. The water won't circulate through the block until the t-stat opens, but you should see water coming out of the exhaust as soon as the exhaust manifolds fill up. If you don't see water spitting out of the exhaust after 10 to 15 seconds, shut her down and find out why water isn't circulating. Run it any longer than that and you risk burning up the impeller.

I wait until I get water coming out of the exhaust before I even fire the engine. Takes a minute or two if the engine has been drained for the winter.

After winterization it can take awhile since the block is empty, I always verify water flow at the fake-a-lake and physically by by touching the impeller housing (DD of course), if it inst getting water you will know very quickly by touch.