Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Wakesetters for Dummies

idsII

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and I am in the market for a used Malibu VLX or 23 LSV. I am looking for-

The significant changes to each year like hull design

Any years, motors or other parts/components that I should avoid like power wedge and towers etc

What year is best to buy? I don't want to spend alot but I'm thinking the depreciation levels out somewhat on a three year old boat.

Recommendations on power for both models. Do I need a Hammerhead in a 23?

Thanks in advance!

The VLX has been completly changed for 2009 Hull, interior, and exterior styling. I recently purchased my 09 back in november. The only changes to the 2010 model was the G3 Tower, and snap out carpet. I believe the 23lsv had a hull change in 08.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and I am in the market for a used Malibu VLX or 23 LSV. I am looking for-

The significant changes to each year like hull design

Any years, motors or other parts/components that I should avoid like power wedge and towers etc

What year is best to buy? I don't want to spend alot but I'm thinking the depreciation levels out somewhat on a three year old boat.

Recommendations on power for both models. Do I need a Hammerhead in a 23?

Thanks in advance!

The on Engine that I'd make sure I hard throughly checked out or pass is the HH 380 (365HP) The HH was updated in '05 to the 383 (400hp) while a drastic improvement it has been more problematic than the Monsoon. For that reason I'd stay w/ the trusty monsoon, other have had no issues w/ the HH enigne however. You don't need to have the HH in the LSV's but you will need to reprop the Monsoon imho.

Just look at the used market over the past three years, that'll give you an idea what depreciation is roughly at.

The hull chart posted above gives you specs for all boat models. An '09 Vride is a great priced boat and it's on the '05-'08 hull.

Brand new left-over '09 23' Rides are selling for less than many used '06-'07 23 LSV's. Same hull as 04-07, with most all of the same features except the interior doesn't look quite as nice. Nice way to get into a great boat for a great price, with a full warranty. The AXIS is a very good boat (by Malibu) if you are on a budget as well. '10 Rides will give you the G3 tower. From what I hear, Malibu is no longer covering any warranty claims on Illusion X and XS towers. They are great looking towers but long term may not be good for resale. For me, I'm waiting on my '10 23 LSV to be built. :rockon:

Find yourself a 2005 VLX. New hull, Plenty of size, has 340 motor which is plenty of power, four ballast tanks. Five years old should be reasonably priced. Good Luck!

Brand new left-over '09 23' Rides are selling for less than many used '06-'07 23 LSV's. Same hull as 04-07, with most all of the same features except the interior doesn't look quite as nice. Nice way to get into a great boat for a great price, with a full warranty. The AXIS is a very good boat (by Malibu) if you are on a budget as well. '10 Rides will give you the G3 tower. From what I hear, Malibu is no longer covering any warranty claims on Illusion X and XS towers. They are great looking towers but long term may not be good for resale. For me, I'm waiting on my '10 23 LSV to be built. :rockon:

What are the issues with the Illsion X and XS towers?

:rofl: Who told you that. If the boat is under warranty they will cover it.

It's unfortunate for all people with X and XS towers and accessories....please see #3.

March 5 Advisory #352010

Subject: Warranty Coverage of Products manufactured by Titan Wake Accessories and Metcraft Products

1. Boats originally ordered through Malibu Boats, with Titan Wake Accessories will be covered under the boats 36 month warranty beginning on the original date of purchase

2. Boats equipped with Titan Wake Accessories purchased aftermarket will be covered for 12 months from the date of purchase. This warranty covers the parts only, no labor or freight and a proof of purchase with the date will be required at the time of the request.

3. Boats purchased with Metcraft Accessories will have no warranty coverage through Malibu Boats LLC. If available Malibu may offer replacement like titan parts/accessories at a reduced cost to the dealership and or customer to assist in replacing Metcraft parts that would fall under a warrantable situation.

4. Malibu Boats Customer Service / warranty department will be the point of contact for dealers to request warranty information regarding Titan Wake Accessories and Metcraft Products.

It's unfortunate for all people with X and XS towers and accessories....please see #3.

March 5 Advisory #352010

Subject: Warranty Coverage of Products manufactured by Titan Wake Accessories and Metcraft Products

1. Boats originally ordered through Malibu Boats, with Titan Wake Accessories will be covered under the boats 36 month warranty beginning on the original date of purchase

2. Boats equipped with Titan Wake Accessories purchased aftermarket will be covered for 12 months from the date of purchase. This warranty covers the parts only, no labor or freight and a proof of purchase with the date will be required at the time of the request.

3. Boats purchased with Metcraft Accessories will have no warranty coverage through Malibu Boats LLC. If available Malibu may offer replacement like titan parts/accessories at a reduced cost to the dealership and or customer to assist in replacing Metcraft parts that would fall under a warrantable situation.

4. Malibu Boats Customer Service / warranty department will be the point of contact for dealers to request warranty information regarding Titan Wake Accessories and Metcraft Products.

Is a tower an "accessory"? I think that could be read to be talking about racks and lights and such and not towers... but I could be wrong.

Is a tower an "accessory"? I think that could be read to be talking about racks and lights and such and not towers... but I could be wrong.

I was told by the dealer this includes the tower and all tower accessories produced by Metcraft...and since my understanding is that they are out of business, you can't go back to them for warranty issues either.

yep my boat is an 07 but new and under full warranty and they are looking after a minor tower issue as we speak.........

yep my boat is an 07 but new and under full warranty and they are looking after a minor tower issue as we speak.........

This is a bulletin sent from Malibu to Dealers...at least in the U.S. I was looking at a left-over '09 and my dealer showed it to me (And gave me a copy) to help me make my decision, as I like the looks of the XS much better than the G3.

It's great if they are covering any issues still, but I wouldn't anticipate it will continue. I'd imagine there is a finite amount of spare parts for these towers and when they're gone, they're gone.

This is a bulletin sent from Malibu to Dealers...at least in the U.S. I was looking at a left-over '09 and my dealer showed it to me (And gave me a copy) to help me make my decision, as I like the looks of the XS much better than the G3.

It's great if they are covering any issues still, but I wouldn't anticipate it will continue. I'd imagine there is a finite amount of spare parts for these towers and when they're gone, they're gone.

These towers are on boats that still haven't even sold yet, from what I hear there are still a decent number of left over '09's out there. If they all sold today, their warranty wouldn't expire until 3-25-13. If this is true I think it would be a huge mistake on Malibu's part to have a 2 or 3 year window where they didn't warranty their "signature" tower's.

• 4 months later...

Direct link

You can get to it by clicking on the Resources link at the top of the page.

As far as which tower is the "best", I guess that's subjective. I interpret the best as being the most reliable, strongest, most durable, etc. Not many would try to argue against Titan as the answer to that question.

The hull chart posted above gives you specs for all boat models. An '09 Vride is a great priced boat and it's on the '05-'08 hull.

That's what I was going to say....but I'm partial. IMHO it is the best bang-for-the buck out there. Again, I might be soooooomewhat biased. :innocent:

P.S How has BillAirJunky not chimed in on the tower thing yet? :Tease3::)