Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tranny oil change

I have a 2002 LXi with a ZF Tranny, I have had this boat for a year and a half not knowing the history of the PO, I want to change the tranny fluid, but not real sure how to go about this, I change the engine oil and do some other mechanical stuff, but need help on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

They make a drill driven pump that you can use to extract the fluid. What I do is take an empty quart oil container and pump it in. Then I just replace what I took out. It should be the dexron merc tranny fluid, but double check your specs.

I don't know much about working on boats but, I've heard people say to get a mity vac and use that to pull out the tranny fluid. Might be a big expense for just a one time use though.

Example.

I don't know much about working on boats but, I've heard people say to get a mity vac and use that to pull out the tranny fluid. Might be a big expense for just a one time use though.

Example.

:fingerwag:

Example.

Thanks for the help do you know if their is a filter in the tranny, if so where its location is?

It's on the very bottom and no one ever actually changes it.

These trannys are nothing like an automotive tranny, they're more like a differential. Just a gear set, no friction material floating around to gunk things up.

Example.

Maybe the only lie I have heard from you :biggrin:

Example.

I've got a similar one, they come in handy for other stuff to,

Differentials with out drain plugs, lawn mower oil change which I would never have done if I didn't have one, if you over fill something(kids dirt bike) just pull a little back out. Glad I got one.

It's on the very bottom and no one ever actually changes it.

These trannys are nothing like an automotive tranny, they're more like a differential. Just a gear set, no friction material floating around to gunk things up.

Thanks again for your help

No problem.

I'd just remove the fluid and take a look at it compared to the new fluid that's going in.

If they look about the same, I'd skip the filter.