Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skiing w/ a messed up hand????????

TheTurtleMan

Does anyone ski, or know someone that is skiing w/ a messed up hand? I had a bad accident earlier this summer, and messed up my right hand pretty bad. I am just looking for some tips, or maybe just some encouragement. Hoping I will be able to slalom ski again......

Thanks.............

Edited by TheTurtleMan

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by messed up? If you have fractures or tendon injuries then you will be able to ski when they heal, but if it is something worse, it's hard to say without more details...

Sorry, This is kind of gross......

4fingeredfreek.com

Man, WTF did you do (I'll read the post to spare you having to type it)... you will be fine wen you have the strength to hold on to the handle ... OUCH OUCH OUCH!

Okay man, read the post at riot ... my grandma did hers with a skillsaw a few years ago, it was cleaner, but still, she lost the finger - then again, she was not too athletic in her 70's. Also, I'd suggest getting into foiling during your recovery period, a lot less strain on hands/shoulders so you can be back on the water sooner. You seem to be looking to the positive side of things though!

Edited by PendOreilleSkier

Basically I have a thumb, and one finger that work. Not sure what I am going to get back out of the other two (don't move much). I was just wondering if anyone had heard of anyone skiing in this kind of condition. Sorry, not trying to sound like a wuss. Crazy.gif

I don't know if this applies but I remember a thread at least a year to a year and a half ago on WW where people missing and arm or a hand shared pics and info on how they wakeboarded and skied. It was pretty amazing!

That truly sucks. I shattered a joint in my index finger a couple of years ago, but really, you can make a decent fist without an index finger.....almost impossible to have any grip strength without a pinky, however. I'm really sorry.

A friend of mine in Montana races motocross with no left arm. He was #2 in the state at one time. His right arm was seriously beefy from racing a lot so he was able to get around the handicap. Try one handed skiing and let us know how you do.

Edited by gooddog