Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter LXi questions

iwski

Starting a new topic here...previously was debating getting a Response LX or LXi, but after I was turned onto the fact that the Sunsetter LXi has the same SV23 hull I am now sold on looking for one of these. Is there a website that gives dimesions and specs for older boats? I am really curious how long an SLXi is from the swing tongue to the back of the boat (without the platform). It has to fit in my garage...right now my Euro f-3 fits with no swing tongue and the platform has to come off. Are platforms still pretty easy to remove?

From using the search function, I've noticed that the 99-04 SLXi had the SV23 diamond hull but for 05 and up they switched. Can anybody verify this? I would definitely want the better SV23 diamond hull for slalom.

Any other differences between certain model years that I should be aware of....please let me know.

I don't think the 2005 and newer SSLxi's are considered to be very good slalom boats. I don't think the changes were received very well and this probably led to the Sunsetter LXI's demise.

Starting a new topic here...previously was debating getting a Response LX or LXi, but after I was turned onto the fact that the Sunsetter LXi has the same SV23 hull I am now sold on looking for one of these. Is there a website that gives dimesions and specs for older boats? I am really curious how long an SLXi is from the swing tongue to the back of the boat (without the platform). It has to fit in my garage...right now my Euro f-3 fits with no swing tongue and the platform has to come off. Are platforms still pretty easy to remove?

From using the search function, I've noticed that the 99-04 SLXi had the SV23 diamond hull but for 05 and up they switched. Can anybody verify this? I would definitely want the better SV23 diamond hull for slalom.

Any other differences between certain model years that I should be aware of....please let me know.

We have a hull spec chart that'll answer all the size, hull types etc.

If you're looking for a slalom boat then only the '99-'04 are the model years I'd consider. The '05 year bloomed up and wasn't really good at any one thing. I was able to fit my old SLXI (00) in a 22' garage w/ the swing tongue and swim platform removed. The swim platform isn't hard to remove but putting it on you'll need to "jimmy" each side a bit at a time, but not a big deal. I always did it by myself. The slalom wake will imho be even better than the Euro with the diamond hull resulting in a "softer" wake as well.

We have a hull spec chart that'll answer all the size, hull types etc.

If you're looking for a slalom boat then only the '99-'04 are the model years I'd consider. The '05 year bloomed up and wasn't really good at any one thing. I was able to fit my old SLXI (00) in a 22' garage w/ the swing tongue and swim platform removed. The swim platform isn't hard to remove but putting it on you'll need to "jimmy" each side a bit at a time, but not a big deal. I always did it by myself. The slalom wake will imho be even better than the Euro with the diamond hull resulting in a "softer" wake as well.

Thanks, Admin, for pointing me to the spec chart....very helpful along with manuals. I guess I'm in the market for a 99-04 SLXI....

Oh Ya!!!! The 99 - 04 Slxi is the best slalom large boat out. I think it is just as good as my 07 Rlxi. Well very very close.

In my mind it is the best all around boat with the wedge and or some ballast it is a good boarding boat also.

I ski A CC196 my 07 Rlxi and a Slxi all summer and the Slxi is outstanding.

I would have bought one if it was still around in 07. The SV23 hull is one of the best ever. (JMHO)

You also asked about other differences in the model years. I believe that in 2000 they redid the instrument panel (i.e. went from rotary switches to nicer rocker type) and also changed the rear seat from one piece to 3 pieces. The 3-piece is much nicer as you can take the center piece out and leave it on the dock. This is handy for early morning slalom runs or when even when you go out wakeboarding as it keeps folks from standing on the seat to get access to the platform or allows folks to sit in the two outer seats and swivel to watch the wakeboarding action.

The later model year you get, especially the '03 and '04 models, the better the vinyl as well. After nine season's mine showed some wear (pulling apart at the seams) and I had to get some of them restitched this winter.

Finally, if you can find an '04....get it. The Monsoon "340" kicks butt compared to the "325" that's in my boat. A buddy has an '04 and it pulls out of the hole with so much less effort than mine. I have been told that that engine was really more like 350hp but it seems to also have a much better, lower torque curve than the earlier ones.

Good luck!

You also asked about other differences in the model years. I believe that in 2000 they redid the instrument panel (i.e. went from rotary switches to nicer rocker type) and also changed the rear seat from one piece to 3 pieces. The 3-piece is much nicer as you can take the center piece out and leave it on the dock. This is handy for early morning slalom runs or when even when you go out wakeboarding as it keeps folks from standing on the seat to get access to the platform or allows folks to sit in the two outer seats and swivel to watch the wakeboarding action.

The later model year you get, especially the '03 and '04 models, the better the vinyl as well. After nine season's mine showed some wear (pulling apart at the seams) and I had to get some of them restitched this winter.

Finally, if you can find an '04....get it. The Monsoon "340" kicks butt compared to the "325" that's in my boat. A buddy has an '04 and it pulls out of the hole with so much less effort than mine. I have been told that that engine was really more like 350hp but it seems to also have a much better, lower torque curve than the earlier ones.

Good luck!

It wasn't in '00 as the switches were still the trun style. IIRC it was '02 for the rocker switches and revised dash. What prop do you have? I replaced the original w/ the Acme 525, great prop for that boat imho.

It wasn't in '00 as the switches were still the trun style. IIRC it was '02 for the rocker switches and revised dash. What prop do you have? I replaced the original w/ the Acme 525, great prop for that boat imho.

I first tried an ACME 515 (13x12)as a replacement for the original and it was a huge improvement. I dinged that one and needed an immediate replacement for a long distance trip to Alabama so I tried the 525. I like the way that one pulls but don't like the extra RPMs (seems like it is screaming at 34 mph) and extra gas burn. Got the 515 repaired so I may go back to it this summer.

One other change in the '99-'04 SLXI's that I forgot about earlier was the change to the pattern of the gelcoat "stripes" under the rub rail. The earlier models had a slightly widening "stripe" as it went towards the stern and the "newer" (I guess '01 - '04) ones had a sort of flagged looking three color stripe near the stern.

See the difference between this '99 http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-Malibu-Sunsetter-LXI-96577505

and this '01 http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001-Malibu-Sunsetter-LXi-400858 (which looks like a really sweet buy if the original poster is willing to drive to OK City!!)

My parents had a 94' Euro, a 99' Sunsetter and now they have a 2004 Sunsetter LXI. It is the best all round boat hands down. I have the 06 RLXi and it is a seamless transition from one to the other when we run the course. I wish they would bring the SLXi back because of the room it offers. I know malibu thought the FXI would fit this bill but after running behind a FXI there is no comparision to the SV23 Hull. My.02

Others seem to have it covered well, but I'd recommend a '01 forward to get the newer toggle switches. If you're willing to pay, then the 03/04 to pick up the 335/340 HP monsoon.

I REALLY like my '01 & it's unlikely I'll be trading it in anytime before I absolutely have to - which should be a LONG time away.

I REALLY like my '01 & it's unlikely I'll be trading it in anytime before I absolutely have to - which should be a LONG time away.

I had an '01SLXi. It was tremendous. The primary reason for upgrading was to get Zero Off. If I could have put ZO on my SLXi, I'd still have it. I just sold the SLXi this past fall when I found the '08RLXi with ZO.

BTW, I see others mention the Monsoon engine but be aware that there was also a 375HP LS1 engine available in the 2001-04 ish years. Something to keep in mind if you're looking for speed.

Edited by bigwheels

I own a 2001 LXi and I use it 75% of the time in the course. My ski partner has a 2000 Response LX. Neither of us see much difference between the two boats in the course, especially at 34 mph. My kids like to wakeboard, and it isn't too shabby there either with the wedge & ballast. I hope I never have to sell this boat, but some parts are getting very difficult to find.

BTW, I see others mention the Monsoon engine but be aware that there was also a 375HP LS1 engine available in the 2001-04 ish years. Something to keep in mind if you're looking for speed.

Great for speed, but isn't the best for slalom or wakeboarding imho, it's a barefooters dream though. Smile.gif