Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sportster stumbles at 4000 rpm

My '98 Malibu Sportster (Holley carb model) has always run great until this last summer when it just bogs down completely when I hit about 4000 rpm. If I pull back on the throttle, it picks back up. Runs great out of the hole and super up to 4000 but it will not go over that. Normally this boat will top out at about 46/47 mph. I replaced the fuel filter but that didn't help. The Malibu shop mentioned something about a possible pinched fuel line under the tank causing fuel starvation. If anyone has experienced this problem and/or the pinhced fuel line, any help to remedy this would be much appreciated. FYI, I did a tuneup with new plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor so there's nothing amiss there. And it's not bad fuel. A real mystery./BBC

chased the same problem in my old I/O. I changed fuel filter and serviced the carb and I too thought it was bad gas. it turned out to be the fuel pump. good luck

might be vapor lock, I had a similar problem with my moomba except it was when i was coming out of the hole. The only way I could figure out to stop it was let the motor cool. Are you fuel lines running over the top of the intake from the rear or the front? I was told to run an ice box that surrounds the fuel line, seemed excess, so i would just let the boat cool.

chased the same problem in my old I/O. I changed fuel filter and serviced the carb and I too thought it was bad gas. it turned out to be the fuel pump. good luck

I know it wasn't bad fuel because I syphoned the gas tank and filled with fresh fuel, and I always keep Stabil in my fuel. This boat has not had this problem since I got it about 5 years ago. I am beginning to think it's the fuel pump. Thanks for the help./BBC