Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Idea for Putting Boat Away & Water in Bilge

tnlegendracer

The other day in Lowes I saw that DeWalt makes an 18V wet/dry vac. I've never liked the idea that I couldn't get all the water out of the bilge of my boat before covering (the water that's below the lip of the floor drain). Probably no more than 3-4 cups, but I just don't like it being in there. Wonder if that thing would suck it out? I keep a DeWalt 18V set on the houseboat for regular maintenance...

Or any shop vac?

Or pull the rear plug & drive up a hill?

Or comes to terms with the fact that it's a boat & boats get wet. :crazy:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

i've had good luck with the synthetic 'ultimate chamois'.

keep 2 in the boat.

used to wipe the boat down daily and last several seasons.

2 to 3 cups of water would only take a few 'dips' w the chamois.

edit: added synthetic

Edited by tvano

I should've included:

1) boat doesn't get put back on trailer, stays at dock on lift and

2) any shopvac would work if there were a place to store it @ rented slip or it would have to be small enough to store inside the boat. That's what I liked about the cordless deal.

Tried the chamois thing, but I don't like dripping bilge water from middle to side of boat to wring out.

Or any shop vac?

Or pull the rear plug & drive up a hill?

Or comes to terms with the fact that it's a boat & boats get wet. :crazy:

I have not found a hill steep enough to get all the water out my VLX with the plugs pulled. Don't know where it hides but it does. Still have to wet vac when I get home.

I should've included:

1) boat doesn't get put back on trailer, stays at dock on lift and

2) any shopvac would work if there were a place to store it @ rented slip or it would have to be small enough to store inside the boat. That's what I liked about the cordless deal.

Tried the chamois thing, but I don't like dripping bilge water from middle to side of boat to wring out.

I bought that same littel vac a couple years ago now, and use it all the time. The battery actually lasts a surprisingly long time. It would be great for getting that last bit of water out. Plus its also corded for use around the house.

• 1 year later...

I use a water canon. Works great and gives me an uxcuse to have a little fun as well...

W-S-80005_med.jpg

Same here but, I have the larger version. Not that I have a lot of water in the bilge but, I have to get those kids from far away.

Same here but, I have the larger version. Not that I have a lot of water in the bilge but, I have to get those kids from far away.

I have two of the large ones as well. Works great for both applications.

Edited by Malibuzer

I have the Dewalt cordless shop vac and it works great. You can get about 5 minutes of good strong run time per battery charge. I use mine mainly to clean and dry the carpet on the pontoon before I cover it up. It sucks the carpet pretty dry quickly so I am sure it can suck water out of a bilge.

Water in the bilge is more of a concern of mine also. Not that I mind water in the bilge per se, but it is the humidity in the garage I am going to have to deal with. I am getting mold, mildew etc......extracting the water out of the bilge will help.

I will be buying a dehumidifier as well as doing a better job about drying the boat before storage.

Edited by Ruffdog

LOL, that way you dont have to chase after them !

Water in the bilge is more of a concern of mine also. Not that I mind water in the bilge per se, but it is the humidity in the garage I am going to have to deal with. I am getting mold, mildew etc......extracting the water out of the bilge will help.

I will be buying a dehumidifier as well as doing a better job about drying the boat before storage.

I've got a spare bilge pump because I thought mine was bad when it wasn't. I am thinking about installing it in the middle by the T-plug and the mid tank connections, then running hose to the back and Y-ing in with the factory pump. The only thing that's keeping me from doing it is how the heck do you install the bilge pump? I sure don't want to screw it into the hull!

Your hull is probly atleast 1.5 inches think I would think ... So a Little 1/2 inch screw probly won't affect anything .. One other possible solution would be to completely dry the inside of the lOcker and sand a small spot and JB weld the bottom on the bilge pump to the bottom of the locker ... I'm also thinking about doing the same thing in my 97 SS

Your hull is probly atleast 1.5 inches think I would think ... So a Little 1/2 inch screw probly won't affect anything .. One other possible solution would be to completely dry the inside of the lOcker and sand a small spot and JB weld the bottom on the bilge pump to the bottom of the locker ... I'm also thinking about doing the same thing in my 97 SS

I've got a spare bilge pump because I thought mine was bad when it wasn't. I am thinking about installing it in the middle by the T-plug and the mid tank connections, then running hose to the back and Y-ing in with the factory pump. The only thing that's keeping me from doing it is how the heck do you install the bilge pump? I sure don't want to screw it into the hull!

Just drill real shallow and use a short screws. That's what I did. That's how it's done at the factory.

Your hull is definitely not 1.5" thick. I just installed my ballast inlets in the center and rear. It's max 3/4" thick. I was very surprised at how thin it really was when going through with the hole saw. I don't think I'd use any screws bigger than 3/8", depending on the thickness of the attachment point of the pump.