Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RAW WATER PUMP LEAK

20 minutes ago, justgary said:

Why wrestle it with the shaft in when it comes out so easily? 

Because I misplaced my large allen wrenches. :crazy: :whistle:

Replacements will be here Wednesday. Lol

Edited by UWSkier

When I first started my engine this spring I had a leak out of the weeping hole. This leak was not there last year and I'm starting to think that when I left the impeller in over winter there was residual water that froze. Do you guys see this as a root cause to the leak? (Impeller is replaced as of today)

Would a dealership have the seal/bearing kit? Everywhere on the internet is long ship times due to the virus and all

Edited by DOJOLOACH2
1 hour ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

When I first started my engine this spring I had a leak out of the weeping hole. This leak was not there last year and I'm starting to think that when I left the impeller in over winter there was residual water that froze. Do you guys see this as a root cause to the leak? (Impeller is replaced as of today)

Would a dealership have the seal/bearing kit? Everywhere on the internet is long ship times due to the virus and all

Could be.  A good auto parts store may have the seal.  That's probably all you need.

On 4/19/2020 at 3:51 PM, justgary said:

I'm pretty sure you didn't pick the seal out with the pump in place, but even if you did you'll have to pull the pump to put the new one in.

The seals are a very common 16x28x7mm.  I bought a sack of ten as a lifetime supply for my buddy and myself.  We keep a third pump (he bought a new one before he learned that I could change the seals) between us, and it's always ready to go.  The bearings rarely go bad.  The shaft on one of them is getting grooved a little, so I just moved the seal out a little when I rebuilt it.

The seal is in the impeller housing (the end with the yellow caps).  From the left in the photo you see the pulley flange, then the flange tapers down to the shaft, and next is the bearing housing (with two sealed ball bearings stacked together), then a gap with an o-ring to help make sure leaking water from a bad seal drips away instead of getting in the bearings, then the seal in the impeller housing (at the right side of the gap), then the impeller inside the housing, then the brass cap with four brass screws.

The easiest way I know to change the seal is to remove the pump (and impeller), grab the bearing housing *very gently* in a vise (with the pulley down), and drift the pulley and shaft out (with the bearings) with a 1/2" drift punch.  Heck, even a wood dowel should work.

Once you have the shaft and bearings out it is pretty simple to use your drift punch to drift the old seal out and drift a new one back in.  You can use the correct sized socket from your wrench set to make sure the seal is flat in its seat, but basically it will stop when it's seated, and you'll know it. 

After that, use a mallet to knock the pulley and shaft with the bearings back into the housing, but remember to check the o-ring in between the bearing and the seal.. 

Install the pump and impeller, and you are on your way.  Total time on the bench after the pump is in your hand is about five minutes.  I have not seen the shaft come out without the bearings on three pumps, so hopefully yours is that way as well.

uKCxlrf.jpg

New pump is on, but I'm going to rebuild my old one as the bearings still seem perfect.  Are those single or double-lipped seals?  Presumably single but figured I'd ask.

SC 2020-04-26 at 5.57.07 PM.png

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

New pump is on, but I'm going to rebuild my old one as the bearings still seem perfect.  Are those single or double-lipped seals?  Presumably single but figured I'd ask.

Single.  You aren't really trying to keep anything out.

All done. That wasn't too bad. I did end up knocking the shaft and bearings out to give them a good inspection. Reassembled with new seal in place. Now I have a rebuilt spare pump for next time. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

We just bought a 2001 Malibu Sportster from some long time friends of ours.  Very low hours 246.  Only issue is that there's a leak that sprays around the water pump.  Took a pick and brought it to marine repair shop down the street (they are swamped and can't repair soon).  Mechanic said most likely just gasket that needs to be repaired but wondering whether we should just do the pump altogether.  I see people saying prices around $160ish.  Does anyone know the part number and where did you order from?  I'm trying to avoid long shipping times withe the whole Covid-19 stuff.  Does anyone have a video on how to change out?  Thanks all!

It's probably this oneJohnson F6B-9 Extra Flow Crankshaft Mounted Pump 10-24946-01 - but see what is stamped on the front.  skiboatpartsonline.com, bakesonline.com, skidim.com, ebasicpower.com et cetera.  Lots of Youtube videos around.

7 hours ago, HEATHERACHAVES said:

We just bought a 2001 Malibu Sportster from some long time friends of ours.  Very low hours 246.  Only issue is that there's a leak that sprays around the water pump.  Took a pick and brought it to marine repair shop down the street (they are swamped and can't repair soon).  Mechanic said most likely just gasket that needs to be repaired but wondering whether we should just do the pump altogether.  I see people saying prices around $160ish.  Does anyone know the part number and where did you order from?  I'm trying to avoid long shipping times withe the whole Covid-19 stuff.  Does anyone have a video on how to change out?  Thanks all!

If it is spraying around the front plate, replace the gasket like the mechanic said.  Heck, try just gently tightening the screws.  Don't overdo it though, they are just brass and will twist off. 

You could also replace the impeller while you are at it so you know exactly how old it is.  Some impeller kits even come with gaskets. 

There were a couple of years where Malibu recalled and replaced leaky water pumps.  Not sure if your Y2K was part of that, but a dealer could let you know based on the HIN.

Can you post that photo?  If it's an Indmar engine and it's just the gasket, you can get a new gasket and impeller on Amazon Prime and have it to your place in a couple days for a super easy fix.  Wouldn't cost more than about $30 and a little bit of time.