Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding PerfectPass

kknudsen12

I'd like to add PerfectPass to our '96 Response LX but don't want to spend over $1000 on a new system. We do a little of everything, all for fun and not competitively. I've found someone selling a PP WakeboardPro system. It's a 2006 unit for mechanical engines. Should this work on our boat? I'm not sure if there's more to getting the right system than DBW vs. mechanical. The gauge is not a Malibu one, and I don't know if there are difference between the gauges other than the logos on them. I've seen something about different chips for the gauges, so maybe that's something to check on.

Also, it includes the gauge, step motor (and harness), master module, paddle wheel, and RPM sensor harness. Is that everything needed for a new installation?

ok...

Wakeboard pro is all you need. if you want to ski the course a fair bit, get a smart timer and your good to go..

As long as its mechanical, it should work fine. You dont have DBW, so you need the servo motor for the throttle control.

Gauge difference is only the brand thats printed on it. A mastercraft chip system will definitely work, a nautique chip should work but being a different engine/drivetrain than a bu or MC im not 100% sure.

The difference in chips is to do with if the display is single or multi line.

Sounds like its a complete system and you should be ok. browse over the perfect pass website and compare it all, read manuals etc..

PP has great customer service so im sure they would help you out with info.

I went through the same questions when I was thinking about buying a PP system. A couple of things I think may help in your decision. I went with the Perfect Pass Star Gazer Wakeboard Edition and purchased it from Bakes Marine (Paul). I told him what my need was and he advised me of the Wakeboard Addition. Paul and his crew are absolutely the best to work with and will help you in anyway. Second the customer service from PP is top-notch. I installed the system myself and had some parts during the install that I could not understand, I called the tech support several time talked with the same person each time! They are VERY good! As far as the right gauge for the dash, that is something Paul can help you with.

Depending on what linkage connection parts are with it, you may have to order new ones from PP. Those vary from boat to boat. I pretty sure that is the only difference when you order a new unit. I have installed in 2 boats and everything was the same except the connection hardware. Like Toby said, you will need to check the size of the display because most of the nwer boats have a smaller display. Hope this helps!

The "chips" you're referring to don't have anything to do with the display other than that the earlier versions don't support the newer multi-line display. The "chips" contain the software that runs the system. As PP uggraded the operating software you could buy newer replacement chips with the updated software on them. Up to the 6.5n chip those work with the older single line display gauge. You needed 6.5ng to run the multiline display. My guess is that you have the single line display so if your software version is 6.0 or newer you should be good to go. If you have at least 6.3 up to 6.5n those would have the latest slalom settings. If your chip is older than that probably someone has one of the later ones you could get pretty cheap as upgrading chips (software) was pretty common before StarGazer came out.

Ed

The gauge looks to be like the new multi-line displays. I asked if there was anything specifying 6.5ng, but apparently there is not. So, if it's a newer module, would it just have the 6.5ng software built-in rather than having a chip of any sort? If I understand correctly, the PP system would only have a chip if it has been upgraded?

There are some additional differences in default settings between brands. I believe you can access I update most of those to make them equivalent, but if you reset the system you would have to make the adjustments again.

That is the same thing you'd have to do for any boat specific tuning it away from standard too.

The others above have covered the throttle connection differences & gauge size & # lines.

I put Stargazer ski version in 2 years ago & upgraded it to the latest last season. The guys at PP have some of the best support & customer support available from any company & will gladly answer questions for you.

Good luck - it's the one option my wife will no longer boat without - though she did give me plenty of grief over getting and installing it.

The gauge looks to be like the new multi-line displays. I asked if there was anything specifying 6.5ng, but apparently there is not. So, if it's a newer module, would it just have the 6.5ng software built-in rather than having a chip of any sort? If I understand correctly, the PP system would only have a chip if it has been upgraded?

I would assume that if they're selling the control module and display together that it all came from the same prior installation and that the module would contain the 6.5ng chip. Meaning that if they upgraded to the multi line display they also upgraded the chip at the same time. They'd have to have upgraded the chip to run the multi line display. It can be an older module, the only change would be the software (chip) required to run the multi line display. On power up somewhere in the boot up process it displays what version of the software it contains. That will tell you exactly what version of the chip/software you have. IF you have a multi line display you MUST have a 6.5ng chip in the control module to run it.

Ed

If it is a multiline display, it must have the 6.5ng chip(software). The master module has nothing to do with the software version. Software version is determined by the chip version. The master module simply determines Wake Board pro or Digital pro version of Perfect Pass.