Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diesel soot all over the front of my boat

Sullivan

I've got a 04 Dodge with a Cummins and I have turned it as far back to stock as I can while towing my boat. 60,000 miles, runs perfect but....

I was messing with the boat today and I noticed the seats in the bow. Wow were they dirty and it was all soot from my truck. Are you guys finding this on your boats too?

I've got a 04 Dodge with a Cummins and I have turned it as far back to stock as I can while towing my boat. 60,000 miles, runs perfect but....

I was messing with the boat today and I noticed the seats in the bow. Wow were they dirty and it was all soot from my truck. Are you guys finding this on your boats too?

I tow with a cummins as well but I keep the programmer on it all the time. I tow with my cover on for this reason.

Time for a turn down exhaust tip, I know this helps on the rv-ers. Do you have the 04 with the 305/555 or the 04.5 with the 325/600? 600's just smoke more. :rockon:

Its an 04.5 so it has the higher output version. The truck also has the six speed manual with 4.10s so I'm constantly shifting. I'll tell you what I don't like driving it with it set back at stock power levels. Its a gutless pig. I definetly don't want a new diesel with all the problems they are having with the new motors and the EGR systems.

I thought about a turn down exhaust tip but I live at the end of a 1/4 mile gravel road and it already stirs up the dust with my five inch straight tip. I think I am going to have to talk the wife into getting a second spinny thing. That will clean up the soot and let me run it with the smarty turned way up.

This will help TVano out as well. He won't have to worry about soot in his face because he won't be able to keep up. :)

Man we have the same truck, I have Smarty, Manual, and 4:10s

I run my Smarty at SW7, RP2 TQ2 Timing STD for SW7 for towing. Keep the Rpms above 1800 at all speeds. That should help keep the smoke/ soot down.

Are you running a stock turbo? I'm looking at new fans next spring also.

For the record the soot issue does not exist on my 2002 GMC Duramax with the 5 speed Allison automatic. I tow a 5500# travel trailer and my 2800# boat with a bone stock Duramax. I do use the tow/haul feature on the automatic and the shift points are higher in that mode.

Cheapest answer is to carry a Formula 409 spray bottle and acouple of microfibre towels with you and clean after each tow.

For the record the soot issue does not exist on my 2002 GMC Duramax with the 5 speed Allison automatic. I tow a 5500# travel trailer and my 2800# boat with a bone stock Duramax. I do use the tow/haul feature on the automatic and the shift points are higher in that mode.

Cheapest answer is to carry a Formula 409 spray bottle and acouple of microfibre towels with you and clean after each tow.

We also have a 3 horse Warm Blood Trails West trailer (+10K loaded) and I tow it with the computer cranked up for max hp and tq. I don't get any soot on it. I don't know if it has to do with how the wind flows into the boat or a static charge or what.

Man we have the same truck, I have Smarty, Manual, and 4:10s

I run my Smarty at SW7, RP2 TQ2 Timing STD for SW7 for towing. Keep the Rpms above 1800 at all speeds. That should help keep the smoke/ soot down.

Are you running a stock turbo? I'm looking at new fans next spring also.

Thats cool, I don't think there are too many trucks out there with the combo we have. I was just on Source Automotives website looking at my some options and I might just try upgrading to his 400 hp towing package and see what that does.

Hahaha soot exists in ALL diesel truck exhaust. The level of soot produced can be different depending on the engine, components, and power option. Yes even your Durizu produces soot in the exhaust. If you tow without a cover your interior to will be covered in soot over time.

Edited by 06vlx

that blows. Those old dodges are cool cuz they smoke so much but they suck....cuz they smoke so much!!!!

Yeah but they'll out tow any other diesel out there.

that blows. Those old dodges are cool cuz they smoke so much but they suck....cuz they smoke so much!!!!

OLD! What!? Just joking, I know what you meant but this made me laugh. These are the best years for a diesel truck.

Edited by Sullivan

Hahaha soot exists in ALL diesel truck exhaust. The level of soot produced can be different depending on the engine, components, and power option. Yes even your Durizu produces soot in the exhaust. If you tow without a cover your interior to will be covered in soot over time.

You may be right..... Or Not ......

I towed 21 days last year. My longest trip was over 1000 miles round trip to the California Delta, Tower Park on Hwy 12 near Lodi. I had my cover on both directions but my boat gets so dirty in the Delta muddy water it would be hard to tell.

Other trips were 400 round trip to the Willamette River at Wilsonville and Ross Island. Another 400 miles to a private lake.

My minimum trip is about 85 miles round trip to Lake Billy Chinook with the cover off and I made this trip at least 13 times in 2009.

I keep my boat in my garage so it is easy to keep it totally detailed.

I cannot say that I have experienced any appreciable soot on either the boat or travel trailer.

I lowered my 4wd Duramax slightly just after I got it. It may be my stock exhaust pipe is low enough to keep the soot down low.

Either way it is handy to keep a spray bottle of 409 with some microfibre towels in the boat to keep her "STRAK"