Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 VLX

WakeVA

I joined Malibu Crew a few months back and was gathering info to buy a lesser expensive older cash boat, but I went and test drove a new 2010 VLX and may go ahead and jump up to a new one. Man was it nice. I know I want the 350, Maliview, and the bow ballast options, but I would love info on other options that you would consider must haves and ones that I can do away with. Of the 2 my dealer has in stock one has maliview and the other without, neither have bow ballast. Any opinions as this will be my first boat purchase would be appreciated. New guy so go easy on me.

I joined Malibu Crew a few months back and was gathering info to buy a lesser expensive older cash boat, but I went and test drove a new 2010 VLX and may go ahead and jump up to a new one. Man was it nice. I know I want the 350, Maliview, and the bow ballast options, but I would love info on other options that you would consider must haves and ones that I can do away with. Of the 2 my dealer has in stock one has maliview and the other without, neither have bow ballast. Any opinions as this will be my first boat purchase would be appreciated. New guy so go easy on me.

Bow ballast is a must, don't let them tell you it isn't, why would they order boats without bow ballast I don't get it. What are you going to use the boat for? If you don't plan to ski get the wake hull. Good news is they can add the bow ballast at thier dealership. Unless you keep your boat on a boat lift on a lake I'd say a tandem axle trailer is a must as well. Other than that it's all up to what you want or need out of the boat. Everything else is pretty much upgradable.

Hmmm I guess I just assumed the hull came one way on the VLX. I will be mostly wakeboarding but want to try wakesurfing so I figure wake hull is best. If I do decide to blow the dust off my slalom ski the wake hull wouldn't be too bad would it? Also, I will be in brackish to salt water so definitely a flush kit but what about closed cooling? So far I have found myself stuck just picking colors...there are way too many options.

power wedge, heater, bimini top, stainless stell gauge panel and glovebox door.

the 350 monsoon is a great engine.

if you are going to load the boat w/ fat sacs you will need the ACME 1235 PROP.

I live on brackish water as well and when I bought my boat (used) it didn't have closed cooling. Bakes hooked me up and I put it on right away. It wasn't hard to put on so it might be worthwhile to give them a call and get a price. If the price is close from the factory I would have it done from the start but doing it yourself might save you a few dollars if you are willing to put in a couple hours with some tools.

Todd

Edited by Todd34

Is the ACME 1235 prop the same as the high altitude? Also, my dealer installs a flush kit on everyone he sells (there is a hose port that sticks out the back) and claims it is fine and not to waste the money on closed cooling. Hmmmmm

I installed a flush kit as well and use it every time but I'm not so sure I trust the "You don't need closed cooling" bit. You are a lot closer to total salt water down there than we are up in Annapolis and I wouldn't go without it.

Todd

You stated older cash boat but you didn’t say how old. I’ll assume your borrowing from the bank for this one. Not trying to rain on your parade but is a brand new boat that best way to go for your first boat. There’s lots of well equipped used boats out there for a lot less money.

Is the ACME 1235 prop the same as the high altitude? Also, my dealer installs a flush kit on everyone he sells (there is a hose port that sticks out the back) and claims it is fine and not to waste the money on closed cooling. Hmmmmm

I would say that too if I wanted to sell you new heads, or maybe a new short block down the road. If you are in salt or brackish, get closed cooling and galvy or aluminum trailer. End of story.

Edited by MalibuTime

You stated older cash boat but you didn’t say how old. I’ll assume your borrowing from the bank for this one. Not trying to rain on your parade but is a brand new boat that best way to go for your first boat. There’s lots of well equipped used boats out there for a lot less money.

Based on the prices I find I can't see why anyone wouldn't buy new. When I narrow down to Vdrive and full ballast there is nothing close to me and the ones that are close are crazy high prices. Found 2 used within 300 miles or so of me and one is an 08 VLX asking 53K and the other an 09VLX for 59K. I can buy new in the low to mid 60's get exactly what I want, a new warranty, and better financing options. There is even an 05VLX in my area they are asking 49K for...with 500 hours. I know everything is negotiable but I am turned off by that. I could be patient and wait another 6 months but then another summer has came and went. Anyone selling?

Yes that's what it means, though it may not the exact model.